The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Getting the bumper of the car

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Showing results 41 to 56 of 56
    Little update:

I almost have all the parts required for complete restoration of my car.
    And that includes:
    Smoke corners (Dark grey)
    VR-4 bumper

It is in the shop right now, but all the parts need to be sprayed in my color. So that's going to take a while. But it is a step in the right direction.
    1990 Mitsubishi Galant 2.0 GLSi Hatchback *SOLD*
    2004 Renault Clio 1.5 dCi

Update:

Picked up the car from the shop today.
    They put the hood and the plating around the left front wheel on. They also mounted a new front chassis piece to the car.

So my dad and I hooked the car up to my dads car and towed it home. But the hood lock wasn't connected yet....and it was a windy day......you fill in the blanks....

The front hood now has some dents in it, so I guess I should get another one and get it sprayed too. But luckily it isn't that bad, so there is no big hurry.

Next up is hooking up the other parts (head lights, grill, VR-4 bumper etc.).
    Luckily the father of a friend of mine can paint the stuff for free so I only have to pay for the paint. I also threw in the grill so that one is dark gray now too.

I'll keep y'all updated.

92mpi
    Looks like in a couple of weeks we'll be seeing pics of your galant.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(92mpi)</div><div class='quotemain'>Looks like in a couple of weeks we'll be seeing pics of your galant.</div>I hope so....

Little update:
    Started working on the car today. Hooked up the horn and the hood lock. Connected some other things and tested the headlights.

I also found out that the garage did a worse job than I thought. Sure, they mounted the chassis to the car nicely. But one of my cornerlight cables is between the 2 chassis parts. :x
    Now I have to cut it and solder the plug on it again.

Other screw up is that I'm missing a part. They put all the parts they didn't hook up in the trunk and on my rear seating. But they forgot the piece of metal that goes behind the VR-4 bumper. Without it, I can't connect te bumper.
    Now I can hear you guys thinking: Get a new one.
    But no, VR-4's are extremely scarce in Europe and in turn, so is the bumper.
    So I'm going to the garage first thing on monday morning and I'm hoping they didn't threw it away yet. :cry:

But still, for once I'm enjoying this. It is very cool to see the car come together one part at a time....it gives me a whole new appreciation for the g.

Rasko Da Gama
    Nice to hear that your car is getting foxed up. Keep up the good work buddy

BTW: Where did you find a VR-4 bumper? Was it on www.coltco.nl ?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rasko Da Gama)</div><div class='quotemain'>BTW: Where did you find a VR-4 bumper? Was it on www.coltco.nl ?</div>Yeah, I contacted coltco and they had a VR-4 bumper in storage. But problem was that it didn't belong to coltco, but to a customer. So I had to contact him for a price.
    After that I needed to drive to coltco, pick up the bumper, drive to that dude and pay him. Drove almost 250 km that day. :?
    He also had new headlights and new corners for me.

Rasko Da Gama
    Cool!!!
    I'm happy that my sugestion helped you
    So, do you know what else do they keep in storage? Do they have JDM 4G63 Turbo engines or half-cuts too? Damn I want one

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rasko Da Gama)</div><div class='quotemain'>Cool!!! Â*:D Â*
    I'm happy that my sugestion helped you
    So, do you know what else do they keep in storage? Do they have JDM 4G63 Turbo engines or half-cuts too? Damn I want one Â*</div>I think you should ask them yourself what they have in stock. I didn't spend that much time talking to them.
    But I DO know that a while back they had a Galant VR-4 engine for sale.

Does anyone have any experience wiht hooking up a VR-4 bumper to a Galant?

Rasko Da Gama
    MarktheBlake just put a VR-4 bumper on his car a few weeks ago. Also [FIN]Teme did it in a past ;-)

92mpi
    had mine installed by a mechanic. it has almost the same mounting as my previous bumper.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(92mpi)</div><div class='quotemain'>had mine installed by a mechanic. Â*it has almost the same mounting as my previous bumper.</div>Ah ok, I found that out myself, but thanks anyway.
    I missed two small metal pieces to connect te bumper but I was able to get them off my old bumper. I just need to make them straight again.

marktheblake
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Does anyone have any experience wiht hooking up a VR-4 bumper to a Galant?</div>

Yes , me, me! but sorry i am late.....

The only problem i had was it wouldnt fit as if the bumper was bent. But then i worked out the Horn was in the way, due to different shape.

Rather than move the horn, which would have been easy, but then the wires might not have reached I just bent the bracket its attached to by hand, only had to bend it about an inch or so. But obviously the horn may well be in different places in other countries.

After that it was pretty easy, except that the main bolt on points didnt quite seem to line up - out about a CM or so, so needed someone to help hold it into place until i got the bolts screwed in.
    Anyway thats a typical thing with large components.

One noticeble thing is that the VR4 bumper doesnt have any bolt on points at the centre lower section whereas the standard one did. This might give the impression to someone that a piece is missing, but is nothing to worry about, its quite strong once all fitted.

MY 6G IS RUNNING AGAIN!!!!

I finished all the rebuilding today with some help of a friend and my dad.
    Then took it out for a testdrive. It first ran a bit odd, but I think that's because the enigne hasn't run for about 4 months.

After the test drive I put my old wheels back on (sorry people) because the tires on those are way better than the ones on the other wheels. And because those tires were bad I had that accident.

In the evening I went for another test drive with my dad, because I wanted a second opinion so I don't overlook some things. In that trip it ran as it should. Only problem is that my headlights aren't aligned, one shines higher than the other. Does someone know how I can adjust this?

Now I just need some other things fixed but I don't have to rush that.

Also I would like to say that it looks great with that VR-4 bumper. I just need to get me some mesh. Because I don't have fog lights and the bumper does have fog light openings.

Finally I can go to work again by car.

92mpi
    nice to hear that your car is running again.

there are small protruding bolts (for the size 8 wrench) at the back of the headlight assembly to adjust the lateral and vertical aim of the light.

marktheblake
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jeucken)</div><div class='quotemain'>Also I would like to say that it looks great with that VR-4 bumper. I just need to get me some mesh. Because I don't have fog lights and the bumper does have fog light openings.
    </div>

For mesh I used the stuff from security window screens. got some cutoffs from the local installer for nothing. Dont know if you have this sort of thing in Europe though, but here its called SuperMesh amongst other names. (from a distant it looks like tinted window, but up close you can see its a thick fly screen)

So on the car it just looks like a solid black cavity on a white background , looks great. you can see photos in my sig URL

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123