The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: PA Inspection Help - 4 brake lights??

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7
    Sammy_ES

PA Inspection Help - 4 brake lights??

Wuddup yall,

I'm thinking about getting a lighted spoiler for my 8G, a friend of mine told me that if I do that, I will have to disconnect the brake light in my rear windshield.

He said Pennsylvania inspection law says you can have 3 brake lights in the rear, but not four. I can't find this documented anywhere.

I'm sure my mechanic wouldn't fail me for it, but does anyone in PA know if this is true or not?

:idea: :?: :idea: :?: :idea: :?: :idea: :?:

Senior TGC Member
    I haven't found anything yet, sorry. However, even if law doesn't say you can have 4 lights, I think it would look silly with both the spoiler and the windshield lighting up when you brake. I find it doubtful though that you can't have 4...some cars have 2 lights per lamp when they brake (like my JDM tails) wouldn't they get in trouble?
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

Sammy_ES
    I unbolted the windshield light and removed it and saw that there is a big hole for it in the rear deck, like almost the size of the entire lamp. Thats why I was considering leaving it in place.

Whats the easiest way to patch that hole?

why don't u just tkae out the bulb and leave the brake light housing there for now. it shouldn't be illegal if you already have 3 and that last one isn't functioning.

but yea to cover it up. uhm easiest way is to rewrap the shelf with some kinda material, like carpet or fabric. or you can find one that doesn't have the openign for the 3rd brake light but that gets more difficult

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Jeff
    its perfectly legal, but take out the bulb like pinoy said to keep it from looking goofy.

Moosh
    Umm I live in Pennsylvania near Philadelphia, and I have NEVER had a problem with this. I have four brake lights, and it looks great. Leave it in place, if you think it will cause you to fail, first go ask the mechanic you want to have it inspected by asking if four brake lights will failr ETC, and he will tell you if it will or not. If he says yes then take it out, if he says no who gives a shit (the likely answer) then leave it alone

Elwenil
    I would say that it depends on where you live, and how anal the cops and inspection guys are. Most states follow the D.O.T. regulations on anything to do with lights. Some states are more strict, and some just follow D.O.T. to the letter. D.O.T. is Federal, so states can legally be more strict, but they cannot allow something that D.O.T. does not. D.O.T. states that any lamp installed on a vehicle must be the correct color for it's use and placement and it must function as intended. You can normally add whatever lights you want to a vehicle as long as they are the right color and they work. Just look at all the tractor-trailers out there with what truckers call "chicken lights". Don't ask me why, that's just what we call them. Chicken lights are legal as long as they work. D.O.T. can pop you for an inspection on the spot and write you up a violation for every lamp that is not burning. That is why most semi lamps have dual bulbs. It's gives you a better chance at catching it before D.O.T. does. It is possible that some states may not allow more than one third brake lamp, but that's kinda ridiculous. Some fire trucks and garbage trucks have six brake lamps. Possibly even more depending on the application. I do know that a friend had to hook his factory third brake lamp back up to pass inspection in Virginia after having a spoiler w/ the lamp in it on his Dodge Stealth. Best thing to do is call the State Police and ask them. They would know better than anyone else, unless your state has seperate D.O.T. officers. Just my thoughts...