The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Need advice...7g + turbo...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 94
    You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar

Need advice...7g + turbo...

Alright first things first. I am going to do a 5spd swap, but here are my turbo options:

Turbo the SOHC
    DOHC + turbo
    4g63t swap

now, the 4g63t swap should be most reliable correct? I have yet to see sucessful numbers on a galant with the 4g64 DOHC turbo setup, JiP even said somebody crankwalked on a NA 4g64. So, best bang for my buck + reliablity + futur potential. Which would you do?
    7g for life!

Godspell
    4g63t. Lot of aftermarket for it.

then again, do the DOHC head swap and all the 4g63t parts would interchange with that, add some modded 1g rods and low comp 4g64 pistons and you pretty much have the same aftermarket support between the two :?
    7g for life!

8ggalant
    do the engine swap bro...if i still had my 7g thats what i'd do

4g63-T swap here, it's good. if i were 2 do it again, i'd go with DOHC swap + rebuild engine + turbo instead, but that's bcause i'm plannin out awd... otherwise, 4g63T can put out plenty power

Yah, I am leaning towards the 4g63t swap. Question is, where to buy? eBay seems to have a lot of those JDM VR4 engines for a bit overpriced.

Also, with the JDM VR4 AWD tranny, isnt it possible to use the tranny as FWD only? And would it bolt up with the 7g or is it more like the 1g DSM tranny?
    7g for life!

jdm is generally overpriced..

i don't kno bout the vr-4, but a 2g awd tranny can b used as fwd, contact teamrip.com

DOHC head swap you would need custom made pistons. If i remember corect when they reach TDC they hit the valves. The simplest would be the full 4G63-T swap. N u told me befor that it's a direct bolt on wit no problems! :evil:
    YES I STILL HAVE MY GALANT!!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sabzi5858)</div><div class='quotemain'>jdm is generally overpriced..

i don't kno bout the vr-4, but a 2g awd tranny can b used as fwd, contact teamrip.com</div>

dont you have a JDM 4g63t sabzi? I will check up on DSMTrader and my local area to see what they have...
    7g for life!

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Yeah your best bet is to prolly get a 4G63T and do a 2.4 swap, that should prevent crankwalk. You can use the 2g AWD tranny all you gotta do is weld off the center differential....hmmm or you can spend alot of $$$ and make your G.....AWD......that would be tight.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

yeah, i got a jdm, that's part of y i kno they're overpriced lol dsmtrader's a good idea, junk yards also

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar

Re: Need advice...7g + turbo...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'> I have yet to see sucessful numbers on a galant with the 4g64 DOHC turbo setup, JiP even said somebody crankwalked on a NA 4g64. Â*So, best bang for my buck + reliablity + futur potential. Â*Which would you do?</div>

The guy that JiP was talking about this guy that lives about a hour from me with the DOHC swap on his Eclipse Spyder. He didn't crankwalk (Craig will verify this). When is yanked out the 64 crank it was fine...no sign of "crankwalk" on it. It was a seperate issue that caused his motor to go...the guy just automatically assumed it was crankwalk. Matter of fact he is building the DOHC swap 64 again...but this time taking a bit more time and not rushing unlike previously.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

JDM 6-bolt 4g63t

Built like a friggin' rock. You could probably run 20 punds boost on the stock bottom end with no problems...

Hey Seth go to Car-parts.com They have local junkyards everywhere you can go check them out get them at discounted prices and get them honed. Everybody wins. if not just get a Cyclone motor for like 1800
    C.J. Cameron
    RETIRED TUNER!!!!

"Keeping it Simple"

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScootinIntegra)</div><div class='quotemain'>JDM 6-bolt 4g63t

Built like a friggin' rock. You could probably run 20 punds boost on the stock bottom end with no problems...</div>

JDM 6-bolt 4g63t ... Running 22 pounds boost on stock bottom end, daily(boostaholic), on pump gas, no problems

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sabzi5858)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScootinIntegra)</div><div class='quotemain'>JDM 6-bolt 4g63t

Built like a friggin' rock. You could probably run 20 punds boost on the stock bottom end with no problems...</div>

JDM 6-bolt 4g63t ... Running 22 pounds boost on stock bottom end, daily(boostaholic), on pump gas, no problems </div>
    there's living proof...how much did you get yours for, sabzi? I think my buddy got his for cheeeeaap

Man I want one for cheap! I dont really consider eBay too cheap anymore. And I checked out car-parts.com, but dont know if I could trust a junkyard motor I never had the chance to see in person. So, looks like I will hafta save up for a JDM 4g63t. A lil savin never hurt anybody 8)
    7g for life!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'>Man I want one for cheap! Â*I dont really consider eBay too cheap anymore. Â*And I checked out car-parts.com, but dont know if I could trust a junkyard motor I never had the chance to see in person. So, looks like I will hafta save up for a JDM 4g63t. Â*A lil savin never hurt anybody Â*8)</div>
    i would defintely not buy a junkyard motor, period. There's no way of knowing what they went through, how many miles are on them, etc. Just save up.

My buddy got his installed in a 2g eclipse for $3k....now that includes the motor, the install, and miscellaneous crap he had to buy, like oil cooler, etc. Comes with a TD05H 14b, but for a couple hundred you could boost to 15 lbs with a 20g and make ~300hp

i got mines for $1300 :shock: a bit overpriced if u ask me.. i've heard these babies can take about 25psi with the stock headgasket.. can't wait to blow mine and get a metal headgasket, and 30psi here we come :shock:

yeah, ebay's gotten overpriced, some ppl bid on stuff for more than it's worth, i don't get it!

300hp on 15psi on a 20g?? are you sure?? the turbo i have is supposed to flow numbers pretty close to a 20g but with quicker spool, i need to get this crap dynoed.. but first, must hook up cyclone intake and fix knock problems

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sabzi5858)</div><div class='quotemain'>i got mines for $1300 Â*:shock: Â*a bit overpriced if u ask me.. i've heard these babies can take about 25psi with the stock headgasket.. can't wait to blow mine and get a metal headgasket, and 30psi here we come Â*:shock: Â*:D Â*

yeah, ebay's gotten overpriced, some ppl bid on stuff for more than it's worth, i don't get it!

300hp on 15psi on a 20g?? are you sure?? the turbo i have is supposed to flow numbers pretty close to a 20g but with quicker spool, i need to get this crap dynoed.. but first, must hook up cyclone intake and fix knock problems</div>
    i'm pretty sure about the 300hp thing...that 20g can FLOW.
    He actually got the motor for about $1300, but with all the extra crap he had to buy, that was missing, etc, and the install, it came out to be a little more expensive.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast