The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: What would you give up your 6G for?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 44
    marktheblake

What would you give up your 6G for?

Every man has his price I suppose, but as a 6G owner (and proud of it) would you trade yours for a 7, 8 or even a 9G?
    (if you had the money to pay the higher value)

Personally I wouldnt swap my 6G for any other Generation. I recently test drove a 7G (no 8 or 9 in australia) and almost bought it, but in the end, it wasnt anywhere near as good as a 6G, and performance was the same.

Sure the external shape was more modern but the interior lacked that certain quality. Seems the Japs had discovered these cars were being exported so they took all the nice things off it.

The 6G has class - i am keeping her. I am curious if other owners feel the same way. Here is a Poll, but voting is for 6G owners only please.

ken inn
    i am seriously considering an evo viii, subaru wrx sti, and the mustang cobra svt.

I think I would go for a 7g or an 8g.
    I just love the 7g sedan and I love that front of the 8g even more.
    But also because finding a good 6g get's harder every day.

I agree that the 6g has more class than a 7g or 8g.
    1990 Mitsubishi Galant 2.0 GLSi Hatchback *SOLD*
    2004 Renault Clio 1.5 dCi

Rasko Da Gama
    I would change my 6G only for another 6G DOHC or Turboed DOHC ofcourse My biggest dream for a few years now is to own a VR-4, but since in my country even DOHC 6G's are so DAMN rare - no way dude :evil:
    In Europe are a few VR-4's but I dont know if I'll ever get my hands on it.
    In my country there are many more Eclipses, DOHC and TURBO-DOHC's.
    I saw an add yesterday, that someone is selling Turbo Eclipse GSX (AWD, manual, all options) :shock: And I must confess - it looks very tasty

J apmetal
    I'd change mine for an 8G VR-4, but I doubt I'll get chance any time soon :idea:

I wouldn't like to swap my 6G for anything. I've put down too many hours of work in it to want to part with it

Seriously though, I'd want to get my hands on an FTO. It's a right hand drive only, but I could live with that for that performance. Other than that, I'd take a newer model Eclipse or Evo any day.

But my real fantasy is to get my hands on a VR-4. Like Rasko said, they are rare in Europe. But they exist, I even saw one for sale on a german website last week. If I'd had the money, I would have bought it right away.
    The VR-4 would have people going like
    "Oh my god, you bought another one of those old junkpiles? WTF, you can't affo.... "
    [wwwrrrrrroooooom!!!!!scccerrreeeeeeecccchhh!!!!! wrrrrrrroooooommm!!!!! Screeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeech!!!!!!!!!]
    "Dude, what the hell did you do to this car??????????????" :shock:

I'd be like: "Stock engine. Bye." :twisted:

Jan K
    --- Hell Hath No Fury Like My 4G63 ---

www.silvergalant.com

Rasko Da Gama
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pro_sniper)</div><div class='quotemain'>I wouldn't like to swap my 6G for anything. I've put down too many hours of work in it to want to part with it Â* Â*

Seriously though, I'd want to get my hands on an FTO. It's a right hand drive only, but I could live with that for that performance. Other than that, I'd take a newer model Eclipse or Evo any day.

But my real fantasy is to get my hands on a VR-4. Like Rasko said, they are rare in Europe. But they exist, I even saw one for sale on a german website last week. If I'd had the money, I would have bought it right away. Â*
    The VR-4 would have people going like Â*
    "Oh my god, you bought another one of those old junkpiles? WTF, you can't affo.... Â*" Â*
    [wwwrrrrrroooooom!!!!!scccerrreeeeeeecccchhh!!!!! wrrrrrrroooooommm!!!!! Screeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeech!!!!!!!!!] Â*
    "Dude, what the hell did you do to this car??????????????" :shock: Â*

I'd be like: "Stock engine. Bye." Â*:twisted: Â*

Jan K</div>

See!!! Thats my man!! A true 6G lover...
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA 8) 8) 8)

bluedraco
    well, i wouldn't actually own a 6g galant if it wasn't for me having an accident in my mazda mx6 turbo...the mx6 was better in almost every single way than the galant (more powerful, more features, less weight, a true sports car, etc) but now that i've got the galant i'm still pretty damn happy with it...

i love the fact that it is a hatchback (unlike my mx6 which was a coupe) and that it really is a rare-ish car (so was the mx6, but this even more so!)...

the only drawback to the galant that i have (DOHC model) is that it weights a bit too much for its power...it's not gutless but it's just a bit heavy when going up hills and needs to be revved (but boy, does it love revving!)...

so far it's been reliable (in the few months that i've had it) and i've done quite a few things already to make it even more unique...i've unfortunately also come across a few things that have annoyed the shit out of me but they aren't too big of a problem to worry me...

over all this car is great...it really is a "cruisy" type of car...it looks good, handles well, goes ok, has a very nice interior, generally VERY good build quality (just look at the interior!) and is fuel economical most of the time

i've seen a few of the later model galants (7G) and would in no way switch mine for it...the 6G is the way to go

HH GSR Owner

I'm looking at getting another.....

For the Gf to drive.

I really get the feeling that i have found the car I never want to trade.

1. They are so rare on the roads. I mean sure you see those loser SE galants all the time but the GSR 's are rare and the VR4's are like rocking horse Sh*t.

2. They come with all the best gear standard. Power Windows, Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, The electric controlled suspension IMHO was fabulous and I miss it every day.

3. It is like being in a club. All the GSR and some Se owners wave when they see you on the road and quite a few are up for random racing on the streets.

4. IMHO they still look very stylish even now after 13 years.

5. They go pretty quick and the only major problem I had was with my Transmission (which was covered under warranty) and a slight leak in my Water Pump. Which I noticed before i managed to melt my Head.

I have seen the 7th gen galants on the Australian roads and frankly the don't look anywhere near as nice as the 6th gen. Even the owners drool a little when we talk about our cars.

Then again I have been extreemly lucky with mine.
    I bought it from a RACQ (road side assistance mechanic) who had the car serviced by mitsubishi for all its life.

I saw a 6th GSR galant at a car yard for $7500 AUD (5500 ish US i think) but it was in pretty beat up shape with the dreaded faded "galant" badge on the boot and a terribly faded wing.

Nope i love my 6th Gen GSR too much to trade it in on anything.... I would consider a VR4 if they didn't only come in sedan shape.

Re: I'm looking at getting another.....

HH GSR Owner:
    Would it be possible for you to post some bigger pictures of your car?

bluedraco
    mine looks better

i'll have to post pics of it sometime very soon...i'm doing a few "different" things first and then i'll give it a clean and take some pictures of it...i'm sure you guys will like it but i'm just worried my unique ideas for it will be copied! hehe

HH GSR Owner
    Sure I can post more Pics.... the problem is that I only own a lousy 1.3 megapixel digital camera and the quality isn't that hot.

Still I'll see what I can do now....

I'll work on better ones.....
    Now to buy a new diaphram for my cruise control.... $81 AUD...pretty cheap for an import.

HH GSR Owner
    I probabaly should clarify that loser SE statement.....

But why would anyone buy one new!!!!!! I mean there would be no choice.... a GSR or VR4 or this stock looking SE.......?????

I just see them and think why would the original owner NOT have sold a kidney or something and paid the extra for a GSR.....??

I see the noses and think sweet another galant ... then see the arse and go *sigh* it's just an SE.....

Do you guys think the same ??? the other GSR and VR4 owners that is.

No offence meant to the 2nd or 3rd owners of SE's any Galant is better then No Galant.

bluedraco
    well, the SE is really a VERY boring car to drive...it has only 70kw for a 1200kg car...TOTALLY gutless, an excel would be faster!!!

however, speed isn't everything and i would still prefer the 70kw SE to a POS korean car or similar...the build quality of the galant (regardless of whether it is a SE or GSR) is still much better and it's still a nice-ish car...however, the GSR is 20 times better

if the galant that i was looking at when i was in the market for a car was an SE, i would have not even bothered with it...i wanted something with "acceptable" power and the SE unfortunately doesn't have it...luckily for me the galant was a GSR so i bought it

marktheblake
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bluedraco)</div><div class='quotemain'>well, the SE is really a VERY boring car to drive...it has only 70kw for a 1200kg car...TOTALLY gutless, an excel would be faster!!!</div>

gutless maybe but i have just been busted by a mobile speed camera two days in a row, on the same stretch of highway, doing 105 and 114k- that 2nd one is gonna hurt me for sure :-)

i also drove to melbourne last year and sat on 140-150k all the way, and it just cruised at that speed. (yeah i know that doesnt have anything to do with the 77kw output).

i wish i had a GSR or VR4, but in my case i didnt buy my SE because I was looking for a Galant, but rather it was just a car that fitted my price range and i liked the look and feel of at the time.

Whenever i now look around at the Galants for sale, VR4's/GSRs all look like they have had a hard life. When i bought mine in 98 it only had 67k on it, so it had hardly being used, and still hasnt.

I am almost tempted to buy an old GSR, and rebuild the engine, transmission etc, and then rebirthing it with everything else from the SE that I can swap out. Then i would have one great clean car.

bluedraco
    fair enough...

i hope i didn't offend you though dude...i didn't mean it that way (if you took it that way) but i'm just voicing my opinion...

either way, these cars are definitely great...but i have come across quite a few great cars around that year that were fully japanese made and assembled and it really shows through on the build quality and features of the car...

next year (when i have the spare cash) i *might* be doing the engine conversion...from my DOHC to the turbo version (either the VR4, or EVO I, II or III)...i'll be doing heaps of research into whether or not I should go ahead with it when the time comes but i know for sure that it would stay a FWD as it's not worth me spending the money to do an AWD (4WD) conversion...

on the topic of that, i guess that's the only drawback of this car...it *should* have been an AWD...after all, it WAS based off a rally car...but i guess the good thing from this is that it doesn't weight the 1400kg+ that the VR4 weighs...it's 1200kg or so and much better for it (i personally think having 104kw/1200kg/FWD is better than 104kw/1400kg/AWD for the car, unless of course i decide to go down the engine conversion route in which case the AWD would have come in handy)...

ANYWAY, i'm happy with mine and wouldn't swap it for any other galant...mine is in very good nick, i picked it up extremely cheaply, and it's pretty unique (even more so with the stuff i've done)...i just wish there was more available information for my particular car (DOHC, HG)...

8)

marktheblake
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bluedraco)</div><div class='quotemain'>i hope i didn't offend you though dude...</div>

offend me? nope that aint possible :-)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>next year i *might* be doing the engine conversion...from my DOHC to the turbo version </div>

Well if you knew someone who had a SOHC then he might take the DOHC off your hands for you.

BTW i know where you can get a DOHC turbo right now. http://www.japparts.com.au/products/stock-...k-arriving.html
    $3100, 100k.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bluedraco)</div><div class='quotemain'>ANYWAY, i'm happy with mine</div>Same here.... That's why I'm trying to re-incarnate it again because I just don't want to lose this car. When I drive through town people still look at you and think: 'nice car'. And of course because I have the best looking Galant in my city. (I think I have seen them all)

J apmetal
    I've got a 4WD, and the extra weight is DEFINATELY worth it - on British roads, at least 8)

And when my engine conversion gets done [still nowhere close, but will come one day !] it'll be even more worthwhiel

The thing is tho, the GTi [Euro-badging for GSR] isnt all that fast on acceleration compared to some, but with AWD you dont have to slow down again :twisted:

bluedraco
    mark - there's also an EVO I engine for $3,600

anyway, that's a way off and when it comes to me having that cash, i'm not 100% sure i'd even do it...i would have A LOT to consider and it might be best for me to sell the galant and buy something else...of course, if it was viable and not too difficult (or costly) i would certainly do the engine conversion...total sleeper

japmetal - 4wd would have been cool...but there's not much i can do about it now...i'm still young anyway so i shouldn't make myself too confident with my driving!

note: galants rule! 8)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast