The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: What does the door look like under those panels?

Showing results 1 to 16 of 16
    marktheblake

What does the door look like under those panels?

fellas like Jeucken and Pro_sniper have door panels with the "ribbed" pattern on them. My car just has a 3 inch wide black strip through the middle of the door. I am not sure if the Vr4 has a completely different door panel or not.

If i buy some VR4 sides for my car, and remove my black strips do the new sides just fit over the lower half of the door like a skin?

If you have removed your ribbed panels off your doors can you confirm that your door underneath looks like this?

Rasko Da Gama
    Hey buddy! I am pretty sure the door are different at your model (same as mine). GVR-4's and most other DOHC Galants that have ribbed side panels, have differentt door. I saw it one time at a friend of mine who owned a 1990 Galant GTi. And I am almost sure that side panels from VR-4 wont fit on your door. You can get them painted white and the car will look more "clean" ...

Please fellas, correct me if I'm wrong :idea:

marktheblake
    Looking at the workshop manual, it doesnt show the 'ribbed' section at all. Just the side mouldings (black) of which your and my car are the same.

Perhaps the ribbing is an integral part of the door?

dopey me for asking this question anyway, the local wrecker has a GSR thats had a big hit in the arse so i should pop on down for a look. I looked once before but at that time i was only interested in the front bar. now i am thinking i might be able to buy those side air dams quite cheaply.

I thought of painting these mouldings before, but need to be carefull on paint type, the wrong one and it looks worse than before.

Anyway I like the look of the car being Black and White, as thats the colours of my football team- the Magpies.

bluedraco
    yeah, my gsr has those "ribbed" side panels...it makes the car have a bit more of a "flowy" design and i like it heaps

not that this helps you much!

marktheblake
    i reckon the ribs look like crap and will slow you down :-)

can you have a close look at them for me. Are the 'ribs' and the side moulding (the things that are black on my car) the same piece or a seperate piece?

As you can see, my 'side panels' go all the way down. I just removed the one behind the front wheel and it was attached to the car with about 2 screws and a lot of black sticky stuff....

Speaking of which, with what is it attached really? Which stuff do I need to buy to get the damn thing on the car again?
    1990 Mitsubishi Galant 2.0 GLSi Hatchback *SOLD*
    2004 Renault Clio 1.5 dCi

marktheblake
    thanks for wrecking your car to help me out :-)

So the 'ribs' are one piece and is a skin that covers the normal door just like mine.

In the workshop manual
    http://members.ozemail.com.au/~joeblake/fi...s/mouldings.pdf (194kb)
    it alls starts to make sense now. looks like, what you have is called "Side Garnish" (the ribs) and what i have is called "Side Protection Moulding" (black strip).

When attaching both says to place Double sided tape where designated, and then in a couple of specific spots "dry adhesive".

What the hell is "dry adhesive"? Searching on this term in Google reveals buggar all. The best i can gather its an adhesive that when applied is not sticky until you heat it up. then when you want to unstick it, you heat it up again and it will easily pull away.

Local auto parts said he didnt have any but thinks that the Paint Suppliers who supply panel beaters would have the stuff. I will check that out next week.

I have one moulding that has fallen off. I am hesitant to stick the buggar back on without this 'dry adhesive' becuase there was obviously none there before, and thats probably why it fell off in the first place

bluedraco
    the dry adhesive is more than likely "poly-urethane"...used by panel beaters and such to stick the side mouldings on...i would say it's that

out of interest - do you actually have the workshop manual for the galant? i really would like to get my hands on a copy of it if you have it on your computer...let me know please!

marktheblake
    thanks, tell you what, you deliver me your DOHC when you remove it and i will give you my whole computer.

bluedraco
    you have a PM!

92mpi
    People back here change our mouldings from the strip to the ribbed one. All they do is drill some holes on the lower part of the door panel and buy some clips from the auto supply shop and it fits perfectly well. All the door panels are the same, the holes for the clips are the only difference. Can't remember the part number for the clips, but it's better than adhesive.

The ribbed mouldings are one piece per door, and you have to remove the "skinny" strip. But yo have to fit them perfectly. Otherwise, it will keep on flapping at high speeds. There should be minimum gap between the door and the mouldings.

So what 'adhesive' should I use?
    1990 Mitsubishi Galant 2.0 GLSi Hatchback *SOLD*
    2004 Renault Clio 1.5 dCi

92mpi
    I'll try to ask around for the part number of tha clips. Will get it with in the day. The upper are different from the lower. One is black and the other is white. We use silicone around the mouldings to reinforce it. But i've seen others use some kind of black double sided tape.

marktheblake
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(92mpi)</div><div class='quotemain'>But i've seen others use some kind of black double sided tape.</div>

Supposed to use Double Sided tape and Adhesive according to the factory manual. (see my link to manual pages above)

J apmetal
    Well, they've already answered your question before I got here, but I was going to say if you wanted to fit the door claddings, just bond them straight to the doors !

after reading the other replies, I'd agree that if all it takes is some careful drilling & a few clips, this would be the best way :idea:

92mpi
    I've got the part number for the clips.

MB319754 - 24 pieces
    MB567798 - 46 pieces

Those are the number of clips you need for all four doors. Each door panel has an upper & lower set of clips. Can't remember which is which. But it's color coded to black or white.