The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: opinion: Aluminum of fiberglass wing?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Showing results 41 to 60 of 79
    The 99 Galant
    http://photos.yahoo.com/tweetergalant

Ken, thats the members name. Look at his G. Its an insane install and the outside is simple and keeps with the lines.

I know who ken is. His car is pretty Hot........And with that being said what the hell does that have to do with spoilers. What conversation are you in? That's some good stuff you got there.

Ken's Car ooks ...uhhh how do you say....Stock on teh outside. he has probably the hottest interior but that's another forum
    C.J. Cameron
    RETIRED TUNER!!!!

"Keeping it Simple"

Elwenil
    That's what I was going to say. The interior and all is awesome, but the exterior looks just like mine. Actually if you are talking about "clean" then I think mine's cleaner. I don't have all the emblems and stickers, but I like the car. What exactly is there to "keep with the lines"? There's nothing on it except for the factory lines. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice car and looks just like mine, but it doesn't compare with a car like Matt's, Twisted's or Censee's. Just my opinion...

TWISTED II
    ok, the guy knows his fiberglass...but i don't know about "the best car on the site." the thing is stock except for 300 lbs of fiberglass and a bunch of speakers. but, whatever, to each his own.

The 99 Galant
    yeah thats whats so good about it. It's been lowered but not too low so that bumps in the road scratch the hell out of it. It has nice rims and from from the look of it it doesn't look like anything. A lip or something on his car would help out but he keeps it simple and keeps the lines of the car. All you people with your huge unfunctional wings try to create lines on a car that aren't there. And as for the guy , elwenil or whatever, you sure don't know much either about racing. Downforce is only good to a certain point. Unless you are dragging, which i would say a G doesn't have much of a chance against some other cars, there is no need for soe much downforce. If you watch F1 racing who rely heavily on areodynamics, they have just enough downforce to keep the back on the tarmac but after that they don't want much more as it either one screws the steering and also robs away from the areodynamics and potential top speeds. For our daily driving needs, having such a large wing only acts as a hindrance to our car's visual appeal. TWISTED has a nice wing, even though its Spoons Honda copy wing, but it wouldn't look good on any other G unless they had the same look to his car. I personally don't try to copy Jap styling. I prefer Italian and European mods. They are much more fitted for a 4 door car. Twisted said it nice and i'll agree, to each his own.

Elwenil
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The 99 Galant)</div><div class='quotemain'>And as for the guy , elwenil or whatever, you sure don't know much either about racing. Â*Downforce is only good to a certain point. Â*Unless you are dragging, which i would say a G doesn't have much of a chance against some other cars, there is no need for soe much downforce. Â*If you watch F1 racing who rely heavily on areodynamics, they have just enough downforce to keep the back on the tarmac but after that they don't want much more as it either one screws the steering and also robs away from the areodynamics and potential top speeds.</div>
    I agree with you on the aerodynamic drag issue, but Galants simply aren't powerful enough to worry about high speed aerodynamics. The drag from a wing doesn't take effect until you get to high speeds, at which point most Gs don't have it where it counts to push past the air even without any body mods. In terms of racing, I know quite a lot. I've done drag racing for many years, and now with my G I love forward to autocross as that is the only style racing I think the G is easily suited for. No offense to anyone drag racing their G, but it's easier to get a slow car to handle, than it is to get one to lay down quicker E.T.s. I have quite a lot of experience with real world aerodynamics because of my old Charger project. It's not easy to get a naturally aspirated small block to push a 3400 lbs car to cruise at 160 MPH. This car was built similar to the NASCAR Chargers of the 70's. Still it was hard to get anything over 140 MPH at first, but with a lot of work, I had a 72 Charger in street trim that would cruise at 160, and could go much faster, but I never got it shot with radar above 160. :firedevil: But as to the wings, if you have an actual adjustable wing that isn't just a cosmetic piece, then the downforce can be helpful in keeping the rear end from sliding out. I know with my stock G with Yokohama Parada Spec-2 tires that I can bring the ass end around. I've done it many times. Ane that was at much less than 80 MPH, so imagine the same turns with engine/suspension mods at higher speeds. I know what I know from hands on experience, not just from watching racing on TV, or reading magazines. All of this is a moot point anyway. The wings available for our G's are there for looks, although I have a line on an actual Viper GTS-R wing that I may get for future use on my G. And yes, it will look outrageous, and cause me the horrible loss of maybe .0002 miles per gallon, but if it will fit, and is not too wide, I'll do it, and who cares what anyone else thinks? If it serves a purpose, be it cosmetic or for racing on the weekends, let the owner decide. Just my .02

TWISTED II
    i dunno, i think a wing is just like any other thing you do to your car. its for looks. not many people who modify cars actually buy a wing for function. just like no one buys anything else for function. its all for looks. how many people buy racing seats cuz they have a low 12 second car and need them? no one on TGC. its all cosmetic, so i think in that aspect, if it looks good, do it. and if you prefer italian and euro styles, why did you buy a galant?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TWISTED!)</div><div class='quotemain'>i dunno, i think a wing is just like any other thing you do to your car. Â*its for looks. Â*not many people who modify cars actually buy a wing for function. Â*just like no one buys anything else for function. Â* its all for looks. Â*how many people buy racing seats cuz they have a low 12 second car and need them? Â*no one on TGC. Â*its all cosmetic, so i think in that aspect, if it looks good, do it. Â*and if you prefer italian and euro styles, why did you buy a galant?</div>
    yeah, a nice understated wing is good for looks. But a big ass aluminum wing? No. Not necessary, and you are instantly (and 99% of the time, correctly) judged as a ricer. Just because it's on a galant vs on a honda, and you guys all believe you are the anti-rice, doesn't mean it's not rice. It is worthless, and in fact it is detrimental to your car. If nothing else, it just looks ugly as shit. You go out and buy a $100 Matrix high-performance ultra lightweight carbon fiber racing J-spec JDM supra aluminum wing and bolt it on your galant, it's going to look ridiculous, not to mention affect your performance negatively. If you feel the need to get anything, buy a small, understated fiberglass wing for the rear of your car. It will look clean and non-ricey and won't mess with your handling much, if at all. Point is, don't add downforce where you don't need it.

The 99 Galant
    yeah i agree with Elwenil on where he's coming from. I've done apprentice stuff with a body shop and modifying designers and got a good amount of hands on experience, but not as much as you. You guy was real big in GT racing and all. The adjustable wings are definitely the best thing to get if you're going to get some big wing but its only good for racing purposes. Those cars at them speeds need them to be able to stay on the tarmac when making turns and all but us in our G on freeways don't need anything like that. Even on back roads we never have to take a S turn at 90mph to a hairpin you know. The stock spoilers and the mid level spoilers are more than enough to keep our butts on the ground. Instead of wasting money on a spoiler that you'll never really get to fully get to use why not tweak your suspension in the rear. Stiffining the rear can help more than a spoiler will especially in turns. There are few cars where i think the huge wing looks good and IMO a 4dr. looks terrible in it. Actually even most mildly tuned cars look terrible with it. TWISTED's car looks pretty good with it because his car is mod' for it. peanotation car on the other hand is primarily stock looking on the outside and the wing looks a little overwhelming on the car. Atleast he got his painted to match unlike some of you ricers. If you want a good look for a car go Euro style or Italian. They make cars look mean and aggressive. The Jap look is always a nimble, frail, look. Actually the funny thing is that Jap cars are taking more to a Euro look i.e Lexus and Acuras. If you look their lines match more with Euro designs than Jap. www.hamann-motorsport.com They've got the best looking Euro/Jap styling i've ever seen. They mix what TWISTED has on his and put some Euro flair to it. Thats what I'm saving my money for.

Elwenil
    Actually, the car I'm sorts modeling my G after is a BMW 4 door GT racer with a big azzed wing. I have the pic here, if I can get it scanned, I'll post it. I've also took some ideas from the Dodge Stratus race car from the now defunct NAGT series. At least I think that was what the series was called. I'll have to look it up. I wouldn't say it's rice, more like Gran Turismo on the brain. I fell in love with all of the GT games, and after building the Galant on the PS with the red and white graphics, I really wanted one. Might even copy the graphic scheme one day, I dunno. It's all for looks, although the next mod my G is getting is a set of JIC Magic coil overs, and I hope to one day get the SDS for it. I'm also working on getting a 5 speed for it. :twisted: I found one for $750, but I need to come up with all the damn clutch stuff, shifter, axles, etc. My G might not live up to VR-4 status, but it will be interesting to say the least.

The 99 Galant
    Yeah the GT stuff is insane. I like some of the GT cars like the Astra and the BMW's. They have pretty big wings on them but then they got the beefed up arches and front ends. I personally don't like the aluminum look because it doesn't match your car. Its the same with Altezza rear lights. Why get the clear white ones if you have a black car. Get the CF or Black ones if you have a dark colored car. Some people are so anxious to get a car that looks like them show cars they don't really take time to think about it . Half them show people don't even drive their cars. Life isn't really Fast and Furious. If you had a car driving it daily that had all that crap on it living in Cali or NY i bet your car would be gone in no time. Gone in 60 Secs. I'm tuning my car more toward BMW and Mercedes and the GT series. I'm definitely getting them arches though that them GT cars have. But just on the rear. It'd look funny if you put the huge bulkyfronts ones that some of them have on it like the Ferrari 360's have on it. They actually have increased wheelspan by 3 in. i think up front. Anyways, to each his own and TWISTED your car is nice but some of them other ricers on here that got a huge wing and nothing else on the outside, i will agree with Scootin, its UGLY!!!

The 99 Galant
    o yeah if you look at BMWs on Hamann webpage, which typically BMW has the best allround performing sedans and sport coupes that aren't expensive as crap, they have them tiny wings on it and thats what they call their aerodynamics. If a company like Hamann thinks that a tiny spoiler on the rear of a E60 sedan, like our G, needs on a tiny flush mount spoiler to keep it down with its engines mod, then there's something to think about there. If a huge spoiler was really needed to keep a car down like the E60 at high speeds, why didn't the make it for their aerodynamic kit for the car? Just a thought.

I think aluminum wings look good depending on which one, If you have a full kit it would look even better.

CF wings are the shit. kit or no kit. Mario's wing is beautiful :shock: , its CF and low too his car.

Fiberglass wings are cool too, i mean i have the GTZ wing, and i love it for now, maybe next year i will upgrade to CF. :twisted:

Make sure the Fiberglass wings arent 2 floors as well as the aluminum, and that the brackets arent to high from your trunk.

You should post some examples :idea: so we can give you better opinions.
    Kevin
    2006 GIXXER 600

it all screams "poser".

Elwenil
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'>it all screams "poser".</div>
    In your opinion...

TWISTED II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'>it all screams "poser".</div>

anything you do to your car is modeled after something else. that is such an ignorant comment to say. if you see a wing on a car and like it, you will get it for your car. so are you saying that only 1 car should have a certain wing? so if i saw a wing on a car, i can't get it anymore? poser is such a lame term and i think its wrongly used here. everyone poses to an extent....thats where ideas are made. am i a poser cuz i lowered my car? should i have raised my galant since someone else has already lowered it and i don't wanna be a poser? or maybe i should make my car slower, since someone else has tried making it fast? gimme a break.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TWISTED!)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'>it all screams "poser".</div>

anything you do to your car is modeled after something else. that is such an ignorant comment to say. if you see a wing on a car and like it, you will get it for your car. so are you saying that only 1 car should have a certain wing? so if i saw a wing on a car, i can't get it anymore? poser is such a lame term and i think its wrongly used here. everyone poses to an extent....thats where ideas are made. am i a poser cuz i lowered my car? should i have raised my galant since someone else has already lowered it and i don't wanna be a poser? or maybe i should make my car slower, since someone else has tried making it fast? gimme a break.</div>

well put 8)
    Kevin
    2006 GIXXER 600

Elwenil
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GaLaNtKeV99)</div><div class='quotemain'>

well put Â*8)</div>

I agree... :thumbsup:

Thanks Z...lol

'Nuff Said.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast