The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: bumper upgrade to JDM VR4 look.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 36
    marktheblake

bumper upgrade to JDM VR4 look.

Guess who went shopping today? Well you can see what I bought in the pictures. Genuine JDM VR4 components (as far as i can tell).

hard to tell in the picture but the bumper needs it does need a bit of work to fix some scratches

My first dilemma is that I have a white car, and the bumper section is all black. Well i am thinking i can leave it black, paint it white, or leave the bumper black and paint the rest white so it matches the rest of the car. Or i can buy some of the GSR/VR4 Door trims etc. (oh gosh more money).

I am thinking that having a black front on a white car is gunna look wicked, or i could look like a total dickhead. Cant hurt to try i suppose, a colour change is only a couple of spray packs away.

An immediate question what are the lights in the bumper? Seems one is a Fog Light and the other a Spotlight? In a standard JDM config which switches are they connected too?

2nd problem is one of the lights maybe knackered, the inside of the lens is dirty and full of bits (you can see the diff in the photo, one is much duller), how do you remove the front lens to get into it and clean it. Tried and all i seemed to do is break plastic even after removing the clips.

92mpi
    Let's see if this is applicable to your bumper lights specs.

All the lights in the bumper only have one swith in the dashboard, beside the steering column, it can be found on the outer side. ( a dummy switch is installed, if you still don't have one) It is the vertical switch.

The wiring set-up that we have here is that you have to switch on your park lighs first before the bumper lights can be swithed on, even if they have a separate switch.

The round projector lights is the first one to illuminate. When you swtich to high beam, the round ones go out and the rectangular goes on. Don't know how they did the wiring.

Haven't tried opening the assembly.

Be careful with the screws securing the white cover on the sides, the cover can easily break if you screw it on too tight.

[FIN]Teme
    as I said in other topic too.. that's not only JDM bumber... that's a normal GTi bumber we have here... i have one too..

marktheblake
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(92mpi)</div><div class='quotemain'>The round projector lights is the first one to illuminate. Â*When you swtich to high beam, the round ones go out and the rectangular goes on. Â*</div>

So its not a Fog/Spot light combination, just extra lights for both High and Low beam?
    Seems like thats a lot of lights for High beam, the two bulbs in the headlights and then the one below. Well shouldnt have an excuse for hitting a kangaroo then.

bluedraco
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(marktheblake)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(92mpi)</div><div class='quotemain'>The round projector lights is the first one to illuminate. Â*When you swtich to high beam, the round ones go out and the rectangular goes on. Â*</div>

So its not a Fog/Spot light combination, just extra lights for both High and Low beam?
    Seems like thats a lot of lights for High beam, the two bulbs in the headlights and then the one below. Well shouldnt have an excuse for hitting a kangaroo then.</div>

lol...actually, you are more than likely to hit one now than you were before...you see (no pun intended), those new lights will REALLY blind (as opposed to JUST blind) those kangaroos that are having a bit of a shit on the road in the middle of the night...now they will be SOOOOO blinded that they'll just stand there until you run into them!

Rasko Da Gama
    Yahoooo Mark Da Blake!

Make sure you keep us posted with pictures when modding your front of the car

92mpi
    Yup, it's more of an extra pair of lights than a fog lamps. their illumination range is much shorter than the headlights (just 55w bulb and lower aim on the road). But it's bright enough to drive around with them without using the headlights.

And yes, the bumper is not only for the JDM VR4. We also have it stock here in the GTi model (all exterior trims like the JDM VR4).

Enjoy!!!

marktheblake
    just for Rasko Phase 1 Complete.

Clear corners are installed, though they dont look so clear from front angle do they.

other things i have done since the pictures in my sig were taken are;
    - debadged the rotten badges, and removed the pinstriping.

Phase 2, is the front grill swap. the JDM grill i bought had been covered in Black stuff, so i am removing it. The chrome underneath is not the best so i think i will paint it white, and the mesh black

and the green and white rego plates are disgusting, gunna change em to black and white ones.

Rasko Da Gama
    Nice work!
    If you want totally clear corners, you have to do one more little mod.
    Take corners out, brake, smash and throw out that orange "bulb cover" inside the lense. Than go and get some bulbs that look chrome, but are giving amber light. Put them in - and there you go!
    Totaly Clear corners - complete

marktheblake
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rasko Da Gama)</div><div class='quotemain'> Take corners out, brake, smash and throw out that orange "bulb cover" inside the lense. Than go and get some bulbs that look chrome, but are giving amber light. </div>

Suggestion! First go and buy some bulbs that glow amber. Then start breaking things.

Do you mean to remove the clear lens cover, or to do the surgery through the hole for the bulb?
    It didnt look easy to remove the cover, though i really do want to (but afraid something will bust)

orangbaligila
    hey,... congrats for da new bumper mate,... sorry for that shipping thing,.... i can't participate in making other member happy ....

for those lights,... the switch is on the right side of the dash (just beside the far right a/c outlet) if you don't have one,.. build it separately, buying that switch is not an option (too expensive for a switch) the wiring for that auxillary driving light (fog-light we call em here) comes from the factory together with the main headlight harness,... in your case,... a good car electrician and some relays will do just fine,... use a separate switch to power those lights, and parallel a control switch to the main harness (hi-lo beam)

my suggestion is,... never open those lights, it's sealed,.. and if you tried to open them it'll either crack,.. or if you're able to open them, it'll leak, pick up water, and get foggy real quick... side-markers as well,.. i never opened mine,.... but if you are willing to,... give it a go man,... hehe...

Rasko Da Gama
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(marktheblake)</div><div class='quotemain'>
    Do you mean to remove the clear lens cover, Â*or to do the surgery through the hole for the bulb?
    It didnt look easy to remove the cover, though i really do want to (but afraid something will bust)</div>

Do the surgery through the hole for the bulb. I did it like that. Just put a screwdriver on and push it hard till it brakes. You have to crush it to little pieces if you ewant to get them out

Again... I had 15 minutes of work and it looks much better now

Good luck with the surgery... Doc

92mpi
    Just a suggestion,

Before installing the fog lamps, try applying silicone sealant around the gaps of the assempbly and the bulb cover. moisture sometimes gets inside and sometimes get dirty. It's better to prevent this from happening than trying to clean it when it happens.

The grill also can be dismantled into 3 pcs: mesh, chrome front cover and the black plastic in the middle. Also the emblem can be removed so it is easier to repaint the whole grill. The red diamonds can also be removed.

marktheblake
    Thanks to;
    - Crazy Man from Bali. [doesnt quite have the same ring as Wild Man from Borneo does it ] thats exactly what i needed. anyway those lights are the last thing on my mind at the moment. I might leave them in for the look or Mesh them out while i think about it.

- Rasko. Keyhole surgery seems to be the way to go. but why the picture of Quentin Tarantino in your Sig. We might have to call you Reservoir DoG from now on :-)
    (at least the initials R.D.G. still fit)

- 92mpi. yeah, i already pulled the grill it apart last night. The Chrome It had already been painted black but was peeling off. Whilst removing it i realised its not paint, but Tape. but how was it applied around corners etc without wrinkling, and it iswider than any tape. must be some special stuff that stretches and shrinks tofit i suppose, and is better than paint becuase more resistant to chips.

Rasko Da Gama
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(marktheblake)</div><div class='quotemain'>Thanks to;
    - Rasko. Â*Keyhole surgery seems to be the way to go. Â*but why the picture of Quentin Tarantino in your Sig. Â* We might have to call you Reservoir DoG from now on :-)
    (at least the initials R.D.G. still fit)</div>

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :thumbsup: :kool:

I found myself a Galant VR-4 bumper here in the Netherlands.
    I just don't know the price yet.
    1990 Mitsubishi Galant 2.0 GLSi Hatchback *SOLD*
    2004 Renault Clio 1.5 dCi

marktheblake
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jeucken)</div><div class='quotemain'>I found myself a Galant VR-4 bumper here in the Netherlands.
    I just don't know the price yet.</div>

Hey man, you got your own thread! :-)
    well done, they look so much better dont they. Look even better on the car :-( maybe i will have it done next week.

But will it fit on my car?
    I mean, are the screws at the same place? Or am I going to have to improvise?

[FIN]Teme
    front bumber will fit straight....

Only thing i had to do was make new holes for bolts in the sides... but it's quite easy to install...

Hardest part is to take old bumber out.... oh! the pain!
    so much rusted bolts etc etc...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE([FIN)</div><div class='quotemain'>Teme]Hardest part is to take old bumber out.... oh! the pain! Â*
    so much rusted bolts etc etc...</div>Idd, 33% of the screws went ok, the next 33% broke when I turned them and the last 33% were just unable to turn so I had to saw them of...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast