The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Need spring compressor or not?

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6
    BlankMan

Need spring compressor or not?

Ok - if I put my new Teins on over stock struts, I understand I will need a spring compressor - more to take off the old springs than to put on the new, right?

BUT - do I still need a compressor if I install the TEIN over new KYB's and just toss the whole stock spring/strut? I've seen conflicting info and am looking for clarification.

Thanks!

J

Yes, everytime u take ur springs off u need a compressor. Go to your local autoparts store and rent one. They just ask for a deposit and then u get a full refund if u only use it for a day or two.
    Accident. Deemed Unfixable. Got a check for it.

BlankMan
    Thanks - but what I'm asking if is I *don't* take my springs off. If I just take the whole stock strut & spring assembly and toss it - do I need a compressor to put lowering springs on a set of KYB's? My understanding is no, since the lowering srpings seat fine b/c they're much shorter than stock. But I've seen comments both supporting and contradicting this so was looking for some clarification - perhaps from someone who has done just this.

BTW - It wouldn't be an issue if any of the part stores around here readily rented them. But, move to BFE - believe it or not there is no Pep Boys or Autozone here - and you'll find they're not that easy to come by...

J

No.. I think that you still would have to take the old strut apart to reuse the top tower/cover if I am not mistaken..
    2005 TGC Fantasy Football Champ III
    http://www.Gencoupe.com/garage/3337

no, u dont need it, the whole thing will come out and if you dont use any stock parts, you dont need the compressor, if you do, you need it to compress the stock spring only you disassemble it
    TEAM GENESIS

BlankMan
    That's what I was looking for - thanks!

J