The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 1G 60mm TB Swap Success!!

Showing results 1 to 19 of 19
    Oli97GalantES

1G 60mm TB Swap Success!!

Man, it has been a while since I have posted on here. Been too busy with college and work.

Anyway, now that I have more time, I did some research and did the 52 mm(2G) to 60 mm (1G) TB swap and I am very pleased with the results. If you buy a TB from a 1G, get the one that is nonturbo so that the Galant's black elbow will mate right up to it. Car has a lot more "pick up" to it and accelerates harder at higher RPMs while still being swift on the lower RPMs.

Everything bolted right up to the Galant but I had to reuse my Galants TPS and IAC on the 1G TB. I also had to buy the gasket TB to intake manifold gasket for the 1G and some RTV sealer so that I could "fill" in half of the coolant channel on the IAC(this prevents it from leaking in to the engine). I also cut some thin strips of metal to help support this "filled in" part to make sure I have no leaks.

Anyway, this is a great mod and takes about 2 hours to do. The only lengthy parts are letting the RTV dry(overnight) and porting out the intake manifold to 60mm(which I still need to finish, I only did part of it).

nice job dude... is your car a fed spec???
    uhhhh...... Whats a 9g???

Oli97GalantES
    I think it is. I know it is not Cali Spec so it must be Fed Spec. Correct me if I am wrong.

Oli97GalantES
    I think it is. I know it is not Cali Spec so it must be Fed Spec. Correct me if I am wrong.

how big was your stock intake manifold...did you measure it... cuz some g's are like @60mm already or close to it...

Oli97GalantES
    My stock intake manifold was 55-56mm. I tried to Dremel it and accomplished some of it, but it took forever. So right now, I have about 1-2mm lip all the way around where the TB and manifold mate up. What bit/tool did you use to bore it out? I used the grinding stones that came with the Dremel, and I was wondering if there was a better tool to use.

Oli97GalantES
    O.k, today driving home from work my check engine light came on. I guess the mod wasn't a complete success. I had the guy at AutoZone read my codes and he said it was my EGR valve or vacuum hoses. Considering I just did this mod 2 days ago, I believe it is my vacuum hoses. For those of you that did this mod, how did you guys hook up the vacuum hoses afterwards? Right now, I have them hooked up to the P, E, A1 ports of the new 1G TB.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    My CEL has been on since may :lauging: I dont remember when I did the swap, but my intake manifold was not 60mm, more like 52-56mm, so I dremmeled it to 60mm.

I had one extra hose I believe, I just plugged it. I have yet to get my CEL light checked out so :lauging:
    7g for life!

Experienced TGC Member
    My galant came from factory with no EGR =D I dont have any hoses on the throttle body at all, not even on my stock one, it didnt have any tubes to conect hoses! Only vaccum hoses I have are on the intake mani itself, Evap solenoid, brake booster, PCV, and FPR.

The Eclipse Vaccum diagrams are a lil hard to read. If I am reading it correctly:

Evap Purge solenoid goes to the P.
    Egr solenoid goes to E
    and the line from EGR to the EGR solenoid gets a T fiting in the midle and that T output goes to A

Hope that makes sense.
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

if it just turned on, you may want to unplug you battery for a while, let the standard codes reset themself, and then reconnect you battery, see if that helps. it might just be your battery, or you may have some leak or air going into, or out of your new mod.

Oli97GalantES
    Jip
    I understood some of what you said but not all of it. Currently, what I have that came from my Galant stock was a P, E, and A line. These lines mated up with the stock 2G throttle body in spots labeled P, E, and A accordingly.

Now the new 1G throttle body has spots labeled P, E, A1, and A2(no connection available because it came capped off already from the factory).

My question is which hose from my Galant(P, E, and A) goes to what on the new throttle body(P, E, and A1) and what hose, if any, needs to get "Teed" off to go where?

If that doesn't work I will try the battery thing.

Experienced TGC Member
    No idea man sorry. Like I said I dont have any of this crap on my car from factory, so I never had a chance to work with it and see how its setup.
    I would guess that however it was on the stock TB is how it should be on the new one, P E A1. If that doesnt work then try moving A1 to A2. As far as the T conectors go and all that, it should already be done for you because you have all this equiptment stock so dont worry about it.
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

Oli97GalantES
    Just want to give an update on my mod.

I reset the check engine light by disconeecting my battery and tried a few different methods of hooking up my vacuum hoses. The first 2 methods I tried made my CEL light turn on again, but after carefully looking at my old stock TB, I have tried this last method and the CEL has not turned on anymore. I took my A line(stock) and put it to the new A1 line(new 1G TB). I then capped the E line(1G TB). I then combined the E and P line (stock) using a T connection, and pu them both to the new P line(new 1G TB). The light has not come on since then and it is working great.

im lost with the letterings... do u have pics???

Oli97GalantES

:thumbsup: thanks

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Heres my pics of my swap, since this pics i have bored out the intake mani tb opening to ~60mm...
    ClickyHere!
    7g for life!

pure

eclipse tb

do they make a high performance tb for the galant 2.4??
    or is eclipse compatible?

Experienced TGC Member
    I believe BBK has one for the eclipse dont remember the size, 75mm?? A guy on 4g64 group has it, pretty nice looking. I have no idea how the IAC bolts up, or what device it uses though. I can find out if I remeber
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon