The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: electrical cherp under hood of car

Showing results 1 to 19 of 19

Icon12 Electrical clicking under hood of car

I am re-editing this initial post. Here's what happened. The 2002 Galant 2.4 had a bad head-gasket. So after replacing head-gasket, the car runs like new again and there is no more antifreeze in the oil.

Now when I go to start the car, the fan belts would squeal. So I went to Oreillys to pick up some new ones to replace the others. I replaced both and now the squeal is gone. So I believe the cherp was the water pump fan belt, however I am still hearing an electrical click.

The electrical clicking only happens when I turn off the the car and the clicks is perfectly timed.
    Last edited by John165; 03-15-2011 at 07:28 PM

does it cherp when you start it?it sounds like the timing belt might be hitting the timing cover.check the tension on all of the belts.

i think he is talking about clicking noise from the coil pack. I heard that as well few times, but never really got around to investigate.

- If you've got nothing nice to say, what the hell is wrong with you!?!

i hear a click when i turn key on, but i believe that click is maybe a relay??

the clicking is coming from under the hood when the engine stops, so im pretty sure it isnt the timing belt.

it may be the coil packs, but what do i do??
    Last edited by John165; 03-15-2011 at 07:31 PM

Quote Originally Posted by John165 View Post
    i hear a click when i turn key on, but i believe that click is maybe a relay??

the clicking or cherping is coming from under the hood when the engine stops, so im pretty sure it isnt the timing belt.

it may be the coil packs, but what do i do??

i have few more minor issues, like fan belt squealing and wAter leaking from the lower radiator hose. those things im not worried about cause i know how to fix those, its that clicking noise that has me corcerned.
    does it seem like it is slow to start?

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    i know what your talking about. let me guess. . . you have a 4 cyl right?

Quote Originally Posted by IVORY_G View Post
    never pull out, always squeeze inside! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by galantlvr34 View Post
    does it seem like it is slow to start?
    nope, and clicking is perfectly timed. there is no variation in times it clicks, its the same clicking, spaced at the same time. i did a google search of my problem, and it pulls up as an heated exhaust cooling down. i know for fact that is not it cause ,one the sound of it and two, it will do it when the engine is cold.

Quote Originally Posted by E_Emerson88 View Post
    i know what your talking about. let me guess. . . you have a 4 cyl right?
    yep, a 2002 2.4 liter.

have you figured out why it clicks? and how to fix it?

a chirp sounds different from a click. is it both at the same time? is it like a bird chirp?

Quote Originally Posted by qnz View Post
    a chirp sounds different from a click. is it both at the same time? is it like a bird chirp?
    thats what i was thinking a chirp is different then a click, a click could be battery/alternator/or starter related,a chirp could be belt related.

one of the guys from SoCal3G said it was common for our cars on the 4cyl. nothing wrong with it. just one of those mysteries that happen but donno why lol.

I replaced my timing belt and had the same issue, the timing belt cover was rubbing against a pulley, and would only cherp when I turn the g on. might wanna check that area, thats gotta be it lol

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

Quote Originally Posted by Galantman03 View Post
    I replaced my timing belt and had the same issue, the timing belt cover was rubbing against a pulley, and would only cherp when I turn the g on. might wanna check that area, thats gotta be it lol

I know exactly what your talking about. However that is not this, because I had to remove the timing cover for the reason you stated. After installing the water pump pulley, which goes on after the lower timing cover, I spinned the pulley over to check it and thats when I realized it was rubbing the cover.

So I removed the pulley and cover and found the problem. THe seal makes the cover stick out way too far. So after visiting all the local auto stores, I had to make do until I can order one from Mitsubishi.

So after some real light mods to the seal, to make the cover contact the block better, it fixed the problem. Temporarily until I go the the dealer of course to order that gasket.

That clicking under the hood has me uh thinking! I am thinking about going to the dealer lol to get ripped off. I wonder how much their labor would be to diagnose it?

Quote Originally Posted by galantlvr34 View Post
    thats what i was thinking a chirp is different then a click, a click could be battery/alternator/or starter related,a chirp could be belt related.

I guess I will clean the battery terminals tomorrow. I didnt mess with the wiring going to the alternator or starter. But I did have the battery out for a long time. I thought the terminals looked good, i will clean them just to be safe. I might even do it tonight.

If that doesnt do it, what should I do?

Quote Originally Posted by E_Emerson88 View Post
    one of the guys from SoCal3G said it was common for our cars on the 4cyl. nothing wrong with it. just one of those mysteries that happen but donno why lol.
    Those unknown things. They keep us uh moving, maybe some day will find out what it is. If I find out, I will post the answer here. Heres hoping the clicking goes away lol.

mine does it every so often -_-. i tell people there is a bird nest in my engine haha

mine clicks if i turn the key all the way, and let it sit for a bit

I have a V6 and I hear it too sometimes. Could it be a coil pack discharging, because I noticed if I start it cold and turn it off within several seconds I hear that clicking/chirping/w.e

- If you've got nothing nice to say, what the hell is wrong with you!?!

Banned
    Hey! i got this too!

but not when it starts or stops..usually within 5 minutes of the car comin on...it sounds like little sparks are jumping somewhere..making a chirp kinda sound..never was able to find where it came from either