The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: My dash finally cracked too

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 38

My dash finally cracked too

So heres a couple of pics of my cracked dashboard. All those plastic prongs in the defroster vent cracked too but kinda hard to see it in the pics. I always figured everyone else's was cracking from improper care or from pulling it apart to paint it or do other mods. However, I havent ever pulled anything apart with the dash and have always keep some kind of protectant on it to keep it from cracking and it still cracked.

Got a used one for $75 from a local junkyard. Just gotta clean it up and get it installed. I'm afraid to do it myself because of the airbag removal and installation. Anybody got any tips ?

damn that sucks. mines a 99 and the dash has no cracks whatsoever

2011 Camry- 202 miles- just picked up 9/10/10
    2008 Pontiac G6- 26,065 miles- traded in
    1999 Galant ES- 91,846 miles- long gone

yeah the replacement one came out of a 98 or 99 and its completely fine. Have no idea what caused it.

Quote Originally Posted by 03galantnga
    Have no idea what caused it.
    Is it exposed to sunlight a lot? I have a 01 with no problems whatsoever, but I keep it in the garage. Also, some of the so called protectants (like armorall) actually hurt more than helps. Add the two together and it's done. I just clean mine with soapy water. If you need it to shine for a day, use something on it, than clean it completely off the next day. just my .02

yeah it does stay in the sun a good bit and I can see how that could def be a cause. However, It's just weird that I've never had a dash crack before and never heard of anyones cracking on a new car. I had a 7G and it had no problems but the 7G does have a different dash as did the Honda's I have had.

Experienced TGC Member
    yea... armor all sucks

Experienced TGC Member milo111000's Avatar
    mine's still cracked... damn.. pretty hot here..

Experienced TGC Member
    mine cracked as well... i let it go get detailed once (never again) i said "DON"T TOUCH MY INTERIOR!!!" well... when i got in i smelled armorall, so i immediately got out and went to talk to the one that drove my car out.

she said she was just doing it as something extra (trying to get a tip) and I said that there is a reason why i said don't touch the interior and why its an option that was NOT INCLUDED in my package. I almost had her in tears; i felt bad. but even so, I didn't notice it at the time, but she cracked my dash the same way yours currently is. just no G's around here.

there should be a few threads around here w/ tips on it though (airbag stuff)
    -Chris

i really dont understand why people want shiny dashboards. i feel as long as its clean, its fine with me

is the vin plate on the dash easy to get out?

2001 5 speed 4g64T

Experienced TGC Member
    Mine is cracked as well and its a 00 :(
    ASE Certified Master Automotive Tech
    2000 Galant ES = Daily Driver
    1996 Galant Turbo + 5 speed & lsd = fun ****SOLD****
    1992 Galant VR-4 #372/1000 Kensington Grey ***SOLD***

I havent tried to change out the vin plate yet so i dont know. but from the looks of it i would guess you have to drill out 2 rivets and then rivet the new one but not sure.

Experienced TGC Member 02redgalant's Avatar
    this is happened to me to and i got an 02 but the defroster vent "Bars" fell cause it broke that bad and i have about 3 cracks..1 big one..man if i can find one for 75 that would be a dream..

Experienced TGC Member
    Are you guys wrestling on your dashboards? Because i dont understand how plastic would crack like that :?

mine is craked as well, been that way for about a year. i have not been able to find another at a junk yard yet, your lucky...

You are here entirely tooo much!! 9G's Avatar
    that sucks.

you can always buy a new one if you have $800 to drop on one. I didn't but I probably would have eventually if I didnt find this one. Now I gotta decided if I wanna put it in myself or pay someone to do it. I'll never use armor all again and I'll def keep my dash covered somehow when its in the sun. I found this stuff online called aerospace 303 that supposed to be the best in UV protection didn't find any bad stuff on it. If anyone needs any other galant parts the one i got this dash out of was completely intact. Don't know if the engine or trans were good but everything was there, all the woodgrain trim pieces, seats, i think it might have had floor mats not sure. Everything on it was in decent condition except for some stains on parts of the interior.

what year was the one you got the dash out of? if its a 99 and is a 2.4, i need the compressor and an engine fuse box cover

armor all and my dash go together like ducks and water( cant survive without each other)
    Quote Originally Posted by jubeiaire View Post
    i know a guy that saw a guy that knew a guy that once passed by a car that had been painted. Ill ask him tomorrow after consulting my magic ball to determine WHERE YOU LIVE in proximity to a paint shop NEAR WHERE YOU LIVE..................

hmm check it out would this help? Never seen this before http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-D...spagenameZWDVW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast