The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: BOV vs BPV

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9
    ragingduck

BOV vs BPV

I was wondering what route you guys are going with for BOVs/BPVs. On the Audi 1.8t we can only use BPVs because a BOV will cause a rich condition and post ignition in the cat. This is due to the fact that the MAF is located right after the airbox. Released boost from the BOV is already metered, and therefore the ECU will think that there is more air than there is. In an attempt to keep the fuel/air mixture at a certain level more fuel is intruduced, causing the rich condition. How do the turbo systems on the Galants work? Is the MAF right before the throttle body to eliminate the problem with BOVs?

brandon
    I am using a 1G BOV and venting it back to the intake.

The MAS is set up right after the filter, not near the throttle body.

I haven't quite figured out how to read my logs on the Pocketlogger so I can't give too many details... but right now I'm having problems with low idle and stalling after high revs in park/neutral (with or without the BOV being vented back to the intake).

ragingduck
    Quote Originally Posted by brandon
    I am using a 1G BOV and venting it back to the intake.

The MAS is set up right after the filter, not near the throttle body.

I haven't quite figured out how to read my logs on the Pocketlogger so I can't give too many details... but right now I'm having problems with low idle and stalling after high revs in park/neutral (with or without the BOV being vented back to the intake).
    Sounds like the Audis and the Mitsubishis have the same characteristics. With the mass air flow sensor after the intake you NEED to recirculate. Your problems sound like the same problems that we have if we try to run a BOV without recirculating. BUt if it is happening even though you are recirculating to the intake I don't know. Is it a hybrid valve or a complete BOV?

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    are you chipped?
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

brandon
    Well when I first posted about a possible solution, everyone assumed it was caused by the BOV, and I then vented back to the intake (it was originally open)... but the problem still persists.

It's just the stock 1G BOV, uncrushed, unmodified.

The CELs I have logged are both for the O2 sensor, so I'm guessing that's where my problem lies.

brandon
    Also FYI, a friend of mine has an '04 A4 and vents his BOV to the atmosphere (I forget if he has the HKS SSQV or the Blitz one) and has stalling problems too, mainly in reverse.

He also loves his BOV sound way too much to vent it back to the intake... it's quite obnoxious.

ragingduck
    Quote Originally Posted by brandon
    Also FYI, a friend of mine has an '04 A4 and vents his BOV to the atmosphere (I forget if he has the HKS SSQV or the Blitz one) and has stalling problems too, mainly in reverse.

He also loves his BOV sound way too much to vent it back to the intake... it's quite obnoxious.
    Yeah I know a few Audis people who like the BOV too much. He stalls too. Some people can get away with it if they run the hybrid with the bias towards recirculate. They are still running rich though.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    All Mitsus run BOVs recirculated. *Some* can get away with venting to the atmosphere with no side affects. If you replace your mas with a GM MAS and translator you can vent no problem.
    7g for life!

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    I know alot of 2g guys who vent to ATM and their MAS is just like ours I think if u get an S-AFC and spend about an hours on the Dyno you can have it running perfect. As for me EVO motor im running MAP, speed density so i dont have to worry about it, and a standalone
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS