The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How do camber kits work?

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6
    Experienced TGC Member

How do camber kits work?

Dumb question, but I really dont know how they work. I know you replace certain bolts and washers with grade 8 bolts/washers, but where? Some people say lower control arm on the inner side, and others say the strut plate.

So where exactly do these bolts/washers go to adjust camber? I really dont want to spend 50$ on a few bolts and washers (if i can help it).

Thanks.

was wonderin the same question. why do you need the kit? when is it needed?

Experienced TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TexasMade)</div><div class='quotemain'>was wonderin the same question. why do you need the kit? when is it needed?</div>

Generally when you drop your car you will need one. Basiclly by lowering your car the whole geometry is thrown off, this includes the angle at which the tires contact the ground (from factory its 0, thats why the camber is not adjustable on these cars).

Right now my rear tires are angled like this / , instead of | |. So the inside tread is getting chewed up faster than the outside.

Some amount of negative camber is good for handling (negative is / , positive is / ), but eats up your tires faster (and considering how much tires cost for 18s...). Go to tirerack.com and look around, they have some great articles including ones on camber/caster/toe.

Mindless
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TexasMade)</div><div class='quotemain'>was wonderin the same question. why do you need the kit? when is it needed?</div>

Depending on how severe your drop is you will need a camber kit. When you drop your car the wheels tend to pitch in.

So from stock your wheels look like | |

Dropped they'll look like /

As you can see the tire won't be sitting flat like it normally would and so the tire isn't sitting perfectly flat. The inside of the tire wears out quicker because obviously that's what you'll be riding on. And I don't know about you guys, but I hate buying tires.

On the 7g's I don't think there's a way to fab your own cam kit at least in the front, but I think people have used a bunch of washers on the rear to correct the camber. But even trying install a home made kit would be a PITA as you'd have to take the upper control arm off, shim it, put it back on, put your wheels back on, drop your car down and then have a look and "eyeball" the camber. This really isn't a good way to do things. The cam kit I have up front on my 7g consists of a slotted assembly that bolts in place behind the upper control arm. This is much easier to adjust since all you have to do is install the one piece at each corner then slide it to get the adjustment you want. But without the proper equipment you won't be able to judge and adjust the camber accurately. I haven't had the rear cam kit put on yet (and without going to open the box) I think it consists of pretty much the same thing....some kind of slotted assembly, some bolts, and some washers. Again I wouldn't consider installing or adjusting the camber myself unless I had the proper equipment otherwise you might do more harm than good.

Just be sure and do your suspension right the first time otherwise you're going to end up doing at all over again. Trust me.

BlankMan
    As far as just using bolts & washers to correct camber, here is a link that shows you the alternate way of just using hardware bolts and washers. (Hint, click the tiny pics to zoom in and you can see blot/washer placement on the control arm) And here is a link to this guys main page that outlines his install on an eclipse.

Personally, I wouldn;t do it - and used an Ingalls camber kit instead - but the information is out there and people have done the bolts/washers thing before...

J

Experienced TGC Member
    Alright cool, thanks a lot blankman!