The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Hood Pins install

Showing results 1 to 4 of 4
    Kingman
    search for my name, I have a breif tutorial on it.

Kingman
    1. Remove the windshield fluid lines and squirters from your stock hood. Set them aside you will need the squirters and a longer section of fluid line.

2. Remove the 4 bolts holding your stock hood onto the brackets. Remove the stock hood and set it aside carefully. Attach the stock hood bolts to the factory hood so you don't lose them.

3. Remove the stock weatherstripping off of your hood, you will need it later.

4. Using the bolts supplied with the EVO hood place your new Carbon hood onto the brackets. You will either need to cut about 1/8" off of the bolts or use washers as the bolts supplied are a little too long to tighten all the way. If you use washers make sure you place them between the bracket and the head of the bolt and NOT between the bracket and the hood.

5. Make sure it is all lined up and closing properly. If you still have your stock intake on you may have to remove or modify the plastic intake scoop. Now would be a good time to look at the tutorial on how to build a free intake.

6. Once it is on, lined up and closing. Look at the underside of the hood. Their is an indentation on each side of the hood. The indentations are about 8" from the side and about 5" from the front. These are where your hoodpins should go. BEFORE continuing verify that these line up with your radiator support.

7. Mark the center of the indentation. Then take a small drill bit turning at a high speed and go from the underside up using very little pressure. Remember carbon fiber cracks easily. This will be you pilot hole for the rest of the project so make sure its straight.

8. Using a taper bit from the top of the hood, so as not to crack the finish on the outside, expand the pilot hole to a large enough diameter to fit the wide part of the hoodpin through your hood. Remeber where the pin goes through on most sets is wider than the base of the bolt.

9. Put a dab of paint on the bottom of the bolt that goes into the radiator support. Insert this through each hole to mark where on the radiator support you need to drill.

10. Open the hood and drill with a bit just large enough to put the bolt through carefully drill the radiator support. Be CAREFUL not to drill into your headlight housing.

11. Insert the bolt through the new hole and tighten it down so that the part that the pin goes through is lined up with your hood. You may need to cut some of the bolt off so that it does not hit your headlight housing.

12. Place the hoodpin bracket or base(depending on type) on top of your hood over the bolt. Line it up how you want it sitting. Using a dry erase marker mark where each of the attachment screws need to go. Make sure they are how you want them, and they are even with each other.

13. Drill a pilot holes a little smaller than the attachment screws you will be using.

14. Place the base onto the hood lined up with the pilot holes. Start placing the attachment screws. If you hear cracking you need to go back to step 13 and drill larger pilot holes. It will make some sounds, but you should not notice or hear cracking.

15. Once the base is tightened up, do final adjustment of the main bolt so that it is snug.

16. Stand back and look at a job well done.

Hey thanks Kingman that seems to be a very informative tutorioul. I do have a question though. In step 7 you say go down straight. With the hood closing down doesn't the hood pin have to be set slightly crooked so that the hood will close or is it okay to set the hood pin staight. Also do you have any pictures of what the hood will look like. Oh and thanks for reminding me about the stock weather stripping. I totaly forgot to place that back on the CF hood.

Thanks again
    Jason

www.edelhausrottweilers.com

Drama? I handle 150lb rotties all day, I can handle your drama...

Kingman
    I have mine almost perfectly straight, when you tighten the bolts down they will tend to be straight.

The hole on the hood is larger so that the pin can go through, so with how I have mine mounted with the slide pointing towards the windshield I had no problem with a straight hole.

The other thing is you are only talking about a slight angle, it should be negligable.

Not a problem, I had it on galants.com site but its down.