The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: New axle

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11
    Mindless

New axle

I finally got around to ordering my passenger side axle from www.raxles.com (thanks for the recommendation seth). It should be here by friday.

Any advice on replacing the axle yourself? I've got the POS Chiltons but wanted to get some first hand feedback.

8G_GTZ
    there is a special clamp used just for the axle boots. be sure to get a tool that can put them on, which tightens it. i'll try to find a pic of one and the clamp itself. also get the puddy or whatever it is that comes with it. if you buy a new boot kit, it usually comes with 2 clamps, one small, and one large, the boot, and the puddy. hopefully that helps with the boot part.

the axle itself is very simple to take out. take off your wheel of course, unbolt the brake disc bolt and pull the disc toward the rear of the car so when you face the center of the wheel(imagine looking at it with your wheel on) the brake disc is like this: ll then just pull the axle out, maybe have someone hold the disc to the side, and there you go. then opposite to put it back on.

i just recently did it on a civic, so hopefully that helps. it's very fresh in my mind. should take about 30-40 min with no knowledge.

if none of this helps here is a tutorial for another car i found with pics:
    http://www.scacgp.com/mods/axle.htm

and a pic of the clamp:

steve

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    If you are just replacing them then its cake. Raxle axles aver very nice. Havent you removed your tranny for the 5spd swap or am I thinking of midnight?

Anyway do everything steve said but you cannot pull the hub assembly far enough off of the axle to remove it. I had to remove the lower control arm from the frame(1 long bolt) then the hub assembly should pull far enough from the axle to remove it from the hub. Next just grab thick flathead screwdriver or metal pry bar and stick it between the hard green boot and the transmission. Give it a quick jerk towards the transmission and the axle should pop out from the tranny. But I had a tough tough time with mine, I still havent gotten the green boots from the old auto tranny. I broke a few screwdrivers in the process even lol
    7g for life!

8G_GTZ
    yeah and do everything that seth said. he's obviously done it on a g. use the prybar, it helps very much.

btw seth, i'm having my SAFC hooked up friday or sat. for $50. what an offer huh? lol

steve

brandon
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(shogun7g)</div><div class='quotemain'>
    btw seth, i'm having my SAFC hooked up friday or sat. for $50. what an offer huh? lol Â*

steve</div>

Not when you can save that $50 and DIY.

Fresh in my head? I just pulled out my axles yester day my tranny broke. So now im going to see if my spare tranny is any good (cant hurt right?)

Keep the car on the ground. Remove the axle nut with a 34 (or 32 i forgot) socket. Loosen lug nuts. Raise car. Take off sway bar to wish bone. Remove brake line from that thingy (you'll see what i mean.) Take off the wish bone n strut assembly. take off the upper spindle. Take off tie rod. Grab a screw drive n hammer hit it out while pulling the hub assembly towards you. Then use a pry bar to remove it from the tranny.

My left axle poped right out i was supprized n very happy. put very little force n it seem like it jumped out by itself
    YES I STILL HAVE MY GALANT!!

Experienced TGC Member
    Your tranny broke how?? While removing your axles or ??
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

It just broke with regular driving. I was going in to third gear round 3-3.5 rpm's then i just heard a cluck n the car shut off
    YES I STILL HAVE MY GALANT!!

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    Hey if you need help with anything i wouldnt mind driving to L.I. to lend a hand. Took me 15 minutes to swap out both axles. bout 30 to drop the tranny and 1hr to drop out the engine. All is fairly simple after the first time and i've done it about 5 times now.

Now if someone could just tutor me on the turbo and 5 speed swap and parts. I'd be good.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

Mindless
    Will I need an alignment after installing the new axle?

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Well if you disconnect the tie rod, you more then likely will need one. You might be able to remove the axle w/o diconnecting the tie rod though. I disconnected it, but I dont know if you had to or not...
    7g for life!