The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 5-spd Conversion Problems

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7
    GalantFire95

5-spd Conversion Problems

Ok i have a 1995 Galant and i have ran into more than enough problems with this car. What i've found out is that the stupid mounts are all different except for the front mount, the axles from the automatic won't fit and the freakin crank bolts won't budge no matter how hard i try to loosen them. Any solutions? I need help soon or im gonna run this stupid car off a cliff!!! :evil: :twisted: :x

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    ok, the crank bolts are torqued to over 100 ft/lbs, so you'll have to get a good socket and breaker bar to get them lose. you'll have to also stick something in there to prevent the crank from spinning, because a bolt torqued to 100 ft/lbs will get the crank to turn if you attempt to loosen it.

as for the axles, you need the manual tranny axles. side and rear tranny mount is different, but use your auto front tranny perch and mount. why you no follow the tutorial???? :?
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Heres the tool you make for the crank bolts, its really handy and works great...

• Quote Originally Posted by vFaq.com
      This is made much easier if you get some strap steel and drill two holes in it. Bolt one end to one of the pressure plate mounting pads, and one to the block. You may have to bend the strap to get it to fit right. Shown is the tool I made out of 3/16" strap steel, which is overkill for a single clutch install, but I use it for many installs
      What crank bolts are you trying to get off? Your working on the auto right? The torque converter "should" come off from the back[/quote]
    7g for life!

Experienced TGC Member
    If you got 2 breaker bars you could put one on the pully side of the crank into the 1/2" square hole in the center and wedge that down on the ground so that when your on the flywheel side and turn the bolts, the crank will not turn because of the wrench on the other side holding it against the floor from spinning. You could use any 1/2" drive ratchet except that your car should be up on jacks and your normal old wrench is too short for that, plus 100ftlbs of torque on a normal ratchet wrench will come close to busting it apart.
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    oh yeah, i forgot about that. if you're swapping, the torque converter is what you should be trying to get off, not the flywheel....

the torque converter is held on by 3 small bolts to the triangle bracket. and that triangle bracket is bolted (along with a circle bracket) to the crank, with the infamous spacer underneath.
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Experienced TGC Member
    Either way he is going to have to hold the crank from spinning to remove the bolts on the triangle bracket that hold it to the crank.
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

GalantFire95
    Thank you, I did read the tutorial but it didn't tell me whether to use air tools or not and nothing about the axles. I read that the axles were the same and the mounts other than the front were the same. But anywayz thanx im gonna get a compressor soon and take those f#%@in bolts off.