The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: idle surge + many more problems

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11
    brently

idle surge + many more problems

Heres my problems. IF anyone could help me out, it would be really helpful. thanks

So, i get out of work tonight after a 10 hour day, and my car (97 galant es) was sitting outside all day, so after 5 minutes of driving, it was idling at 1200 in drive (automatic) and would constantly want to go, like it was stuck in a high gear or something, but then when i take it out of drive, it idles at 3000 in P and in N, so i give it some gas, and let off,and it starts to surge real bad between 1200 and 2400.. (I also drive a DSM, and ive had idle surge before, and it was becasue of a bad ecu.) I was just wondering if this is normal for my car or not? The CEL just came on also. Is it ok to still drive? And it downshifts really messed up, almost like it doesnt want to go into a lower gear, kinda clunks into gear 1, if I slow down, but then i let off the gas, and it speeds backs up and shifts without even gassing on it, cause of the high idle. Any ideas? Please help, thanks. I disconnected/ reconnected the battery also, and it didnt do anything

-brent

brandon
    Could be a number of things... I'd get the CEL checked out first and go from there. Autozone does 'em free.

you're not the only one who's having problems like that Brent.
    my car's the same, and so with JiP's car.

it's our TPS, basically it's fucking up!!! :evil:
    u can change it if u want, but it'll cost you for a new one, try ebay.
    i haven't fixed mine yet cuz i have other things to do in my car.

my suggestion though, get on with it cuz we're basically putting
    alot of stress on our engine, especailly on our tranny! and as you know
    our trans our really bad from the start!

brently
    hey, thanks for the info.

I got it to the shop today, and they fixed it for me, cleared the codes, and now it drives good once again. IAC is what they replaced. Little pricey, but least its fixed.

Experienced TGC Member
    easy now...my tps is NOT the problem. Jip owns datalogger, TPS is perfecto.

Also keep in mind I do not have an IAC/ISC so my ecu has no control over my idle, I have to adjust BISS with changes in season. But I have so many issues going on that I dont care. Idles at 1100 big woop I normally set it to around 950 anyway its suposed to be at 750-800.

He had an actual big problem because the idle keeps surging on him, which I'm sure makes it extremely anoying to drive. Coulda sold you my old IAC for much much cheaper then you paid =P
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

brandon
    If it's not the IAC, TPS, TB, or a vacuum leak... could it be the ECU?

Experienced TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brandon)</div><div class='quotemain'>If it's not the IAC, TPS, TB, or a vacuum leak... could it be the ECU?</div> Could be a bunch of things, tranny related, ecu..Car problems are such a pain in the ass cause theres too many devices that could cause any 1 symptom.

While on the ECU topic, Brandon did you swap ecu's when you turbo'd what year ecu did you use?
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

brandon
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JiP)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brandon)</div><div class='quotemain'>If it's not the IAC, TPS, TB, or a vacuum leak... could it be the ECU?</div> Could be a bunch of things, tranny related, ecu..Car problems are such a pain in the ass cause theres too many devices that could cause any 1 symptom.

While on the ECU topic, Brandon did you swap ecu's when you turbo'd what year ecu did you use?</div>

I've been reading some things here and there that lead me to believe my ECU might not be working properly. I still have the stock one in, and think I'm going to try the one from my old Galant and see if it helps. My old car seemed to pull much harder than the one I have now too.

I know I should just swap to a 2G turbo ECU but don't feel like spending the money on it and the other stuff that goes along with swapping. I'm a cheap bastard, I know.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    You could find a 2g turbo non-eprom ecu for $100-180. What else is needed when swapping into a SOHC JiP? You already have resistor pack, have to swap to coilpack, maybe a sensor or two?

[Edit]
    What year is your car brandon? I have ECU pins for both 94-96 and 97/98 needed for the 2g swap. If you need some, I can ship them to you for free
    7g for life!

brandon
    Well I'd need the ECU and pins (I drive a '96), then the knock sensor (which would be nice to have), an ISC (have the 1G TB already), and the coil pack and transistor.

I guess it actually doesn't come out to be all that much, but I'd like to get the FMIC and piping in first before the swap.

Edit: I forget, does our TPS fit the 1G TB?

Experienced TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'>You could find a 2g turbo non-eprom ecu for $100-180. Â*What else is needed when swapping into a SOHC JiP? Â*You already have resistor pack, have to swap to coilpack, maybe a sensor or two?

[Edit]
    What year is your car brandon? Â*I have ECU pins for both 94-96 and 97/98 needed for the 2g swap. Â*If you need some, I can ship them to you for free </div>

..depending what year ecu you use it will not work with your cam sensor, you have to modify it to add another "fin", I have my old one when I was still SOHC running a 95 eprom ecu. Thats the real bitch of it, aside from that its very few wire changes and its pretty straight forward.

I have in my hands a 98 turbo ecu from a 2wd eclipse about to pull out my 95 eprom and put this guy in just to see if there are any differences. I know the 98 model is gona give me CEL's for egr and missing ISC which is anoying, the 95 triggers the code but doesnt light the CEL, you only see the code if your hooked up with a logger. 95 only makes the important things light up in your face =D

Another thing I noticed about the 98 ecu aside from the fact that it has a plastic outer case, but there are no traditional capacitors inside, everythings surface mount. Which means no having to worry about leaking caps and have to repalce them (and dont buy it from fags who sell the .20cent caps on ebay for 3.50).
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon