The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 5-spd Convers. Bolts

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6
    GalantFire95

5-spd Convers. Bolts

Ok two flexwheel to crank bolts are stripped, what are my options? I feel like im gonna go crazy. NEED help!

their striped as you cant get them out? or you cant reuse them? if there out n cant b reused slowboyracing.com sells them.
    YES I STILL HAVE MY GALANT!!

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    well, they're grade 11, and impossible to drill out...uh, yeah.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Use a breaker bar and be careful not to let the socket slip, you don't want to break or strip these bolts! They are grade 11 and impossible to drill out. </div>

from the 1g tranny swap tutorial
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Stripped as in misthreaded and the screw is stripped, or did you round off the heads? In high-grade bolts (higher grade bolts have a certain number of lines on the head), the head is almost impossible to round off. You really need to fuck up to get those things stripped out.
    Anyway, you're never stuck. If the head is rounded off, go buy a cheap smaller socket (probably 1mm or so under the original size) and hammer it on over the nut. Typically, flywheel bolts are torqued to about 75-90ft-lbs torque, which is about as much as a lug nut should be tightened. If you get the right sized socket and maintain enough friction when you hammer it on, it should come off. Be SURE to buy some PB Blaster from Autozone (it's the best stuff out there, fuck WD-40 or Liquid Wrench or any of that) and soak the hell out of the bolts. Soak the bolts for at least 24 hours, respraying every 2-4 hours or so. They should practically slide out when you go at it the next day.
    However, it gets very difficult if your bolts are 12-point heads. Those tend to round off a little easier and are harder to rig n' jimmy off. Trust me, with enough work, they will come off though. If worse comes to worse, they CAN be drilled out, but you'll need to take it to a machine shop and have them use a drill press.

Mindless
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scootinintegra)</div><div class='quotemain'>Be SURE to buy some PB Blaster from Autozone (it's the best stuff out there, fuck WD-40 or Liquid Wrench or any of that) and soak the hell out of the bolts.</div>

Yup...PB Blaster works good.

GalantFire95
    Ok i figured it out. I used a double-edged file and filed them down to a 16mm bolt head and they came off even easier than all the others! Thanx everyone for the help.

5-spd here I come!