The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: fiberglass

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9
    EGALANT01

fiberglass

Ok im working on a project using fiberglass i know a lot of places put a gel coatin over the fiberglass does anyone know where I can get this and are there different types if so whats the best to use? Thanks

Try a marine supply store. No, not the military kind, but the boat kind.

is it easy to work with fiber glass.. or.?.. i am trying first time so..

fiberglass is pretty easy to work with. it take alot of patience though. patience to let the thing cure and then all the wonderful sanding you get to do.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

ok.. i wanna try this.. so.. if i had to extend my lip... what do i do? by some fiberglass? and than.. what make a shape of the end of the lip?

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Go to walmart and buy:

FIberglass sheets. You lay these out in the general shape you want your product to be in the end.

Resin. Mix up the resin with the hardener and apply it to your fiberglass sheet. Thin layers my friend. Sand in between layers.

Bondo. after you have the resin to the thickness you want, mix up a small batch with hardener. It dries fast! So only do as much as you can apply in 30 seconds to a minute.

Sand paper. Buy sand paper from 200 grit all the way up to the thousand + grit.

Thats the basics. Dont just buy bondo, buy resin too. Resin is stronger then bondo, only use bondo to make things smooth. If its your first time, dont start on your lip. Just cut a piece of fiberglass sheet and practice. Its not that hard.
    7g for life!

i just bought a lil fiberglassing kit from walmart for like 8 bucks. came with a spreader, some fiberglass cloth, resin and the hardner.

my suggestion is to make the resin and the hardner in small batches. that way you get a feel on how much to put. i didn't like how much hardner top put according to the instructions. so you can adjust that a lil bit to increase or decrease your working time. more hardner, less working time.

with the bondo, you want to use as little of that as possible. remember, you are making things out of fiberglass, not bondo-ing everything. bondo is nice and hard but isn't as strong as fiberglass.

working outdoors helps alot. having a respirator is an added plus. i don't use one but i get dizzy if im in the garage working for a while with fiberglass. those paper masks don't do shit for the fumes. might help when sanding but not the fumes of the uncured resin.

long sleeves and gloves. again i do the exact opposite but yea, the resin is sticky and the fiberglass particles get to be itchy.

if you want to keep something in tact, mask it off. depending on the surface, its really hard to seperate a surface once the resin is cured on it.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

thankc guys//// ok so buy fiberglass from walmart ... and what else.. bonda and ?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(neel9)</div><div class='quotemain'>thankc guys//// ok so buy fiberglass from walmart ... and what else.. bonda and ?</div>

Fiberglass mat
    resin (usually comes with a bottle of hardener)
    spreaders
    gloves
    sandpaper (even better a sander)
    dust mask (fumes and fiberglass dust is toxic)
    longsleeve shirt (dont want sanded fiberglass getting on your skin)

If this is your first time, practice with small stuff before tackling something big.