The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: will this work?

Showing results 1 to 14 of 14

will this work?

some one is trying to sell me 2-215/45/17 and 2-225/45/17.. i need new tires but i was wondeirng .. can u install different size on the back and the front?? no right??

staggered width is only done for powerful rear or all wheel drive applications. on a front wheel drive car like ours, it is stupid and useless. don't do it unless you convert you galant to rear or all wheel drive.

i was thinking of getting 225/45/17 .. but than i saw some where they have 225/35/17.. wouldn't the 35 one keep the car lower than 45 series.. ?.. or

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(neel9)</div><div class='quotemain'>i was thinking of getting 225/45/17 .. but than i saw some where they have 225/35/17.. wouldn't the 35 one keep the car lower than 45 series.. ?.. or</div>

of course 225/35r17 would b lower than 225/45r17 but then you would still have tires that are too small. the stock diameter of your tires is 25.0".

225/45r17=25.0"
    225/35z17=23.2" = speedo off by +7.1%

i have 225/35 tires but i'm runing 19" wheels!

remember the whole reason you wanted to buy new tires is because your current tires appear too small right? 35 series is smaller than what you have right now.

it just occured to me that you may not understand what the numbers mean.

here's how it goes:

for 225/45r17 or XXX/YrZ

the first number "225" (XXX) means that the tire is 225mm wide
    the second number "45" (Y) means that the sidewall of the tire is 45% of the first number (XXX x Y/100)
    the last number "17" (Z) is the rim diameter.

so a 225/45 tire is 45% as tall as it is wide = 225mm x 0.45 = 101.25mm
    and a 225/35 tire is 35% as tall as it is wide = 225mm x 0.35 = 78.75mm

get it now?

thankx..get it.. i new the no but just was wondering whether the 45 would make my car higher..so..

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(neel9)</div><div class='quotemain'>thankx..get it.. i new the no but just was wondering whether the 45 would make my car higher..so..</div>

if you knew what the numbers meant you wouldn't have to ask that question because the numbers will tell you the diameter of the tire. the diameter of the tire is the overall height (i even gave you the diameter in a previous post). take one half the delta between the two tire heights and you will know the affect on the ride height.

Sorry, Reelax, but I have to respectfully disagree with you on this one.

You will be ok with a wider tire on the front and narrower on the rear, it's actually an old trick used by man front drivers. In fact, Pontiac got into the game and now equips one of their powerful front drivers with wider tires in the front. It's usually done to help increase oversteer on the track. A few of the tuning houses have done the same for EVOs as well. I hav run narrow in the rear while on the track and it works.

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.ph...arrow+rear+tire

Read the seventh post down, by 93esp.

-Mohammad

hey so 215/45/17 or 225/45/17 tires? i know not too much difference but,,,

Are you just driving around on the street? If so, yeah stick with the same size all around. Get the 225/45-17.

yea i say go with the same sized tire all around.

many times you have direcitonal tires so you can only rotate the tires front to back and back to front. with directional tires and the staggared wheels, unless you want to look funny, the wheels are staying where they are. another thing to consider.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mochanges)</div><div class='quotemain'>Sorry, Reelax, but I have to respectfully disagree with you on this one.

You will be ok with a wider tire on the front and narrower on the rear, it's actually an old trick used by man front drivers. Â*In fact, Pontiac got into the game and now equips one of their powerful front drivers with wider tires in the front. Â*It's usually done to help increase oversteer on the track. Â*A few of the tuning houses have done the same for EVOs as well. Â*I hav run narrow in the rear while on the track and it works.

-Mohammad</div>

no prob bro. you are correct. i was being too general but i was actually talking about the traditional stagger (wider rear than front) goin on a FWD car... that is retarded. as far as wider fronts to amplify oversteer (or better yet to minimize understeer) on a FWD, i've seen that and know that it works. that one video of the FWD civic hatch back "drifting" had a wider front setup to facilitate inertia induced oversteer at speed. the point is the drive wheels are the ones that should get to take the wider shoes, and the traditional stagger is pointless on a FWD since the drive wheels actually get narrower tires than the free rolling ones. also in AWD drive cars, which are inherently prone to understeer, the wider front trick helps the car turn in and hold the cornering line. but the stagger setup on AWD cars also depends on the power split setup; some AWD cars are biased to the front drive wheels (new mazdapeed6, eclipse GSX, EVO, etc.) and some are biased to the rear (diabloVT, newer 911 turbo etc.). the ones that have more drive force going to the rear have wider rears even though they are AWD. however, the wider front setup is less prevelant, almost non-existent stock and pretty much never used on the street since it is not very aesthetically pleasing... more of a form follows function thing. the wider front setup is mostly seen on high powered FWD drag cars for obvious reasons.

Maybe this will help you visualize tire sizes:
    http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Quote Originally Posted by Reelax
    Quote Originally Posted by mochanges
    Sorry, Reelax, but I have to respectfully disagree with you on this one.

You will be ok with a wider tire on the front and narrower on the rear, it's actually an old trick used by man front drivers. In fact, Pontiac got into the game and now equips one of their powerful front drivers with wider tires in the front. It's usually done to help increase oversteer on the track. A few of the tuning houses have done the same for EVOs as well. I hav run narrow in the rear while on the track and it works.

-Mohammad
    no prob bro. you are correct. i was being too general but i was actually talking about the traditional stagger (wider rear than front) goin on a FWD car... that is retarded. as far as wider fronts to amplify oversteer (or better yet to minimize understeer) on a FWD, i've seen that and know that it works. that one video of the FWD civic hatch back "drifting" had a wider front setup to facilitate inertia induced oversteer at speed. the point is the drive wheels are the ones that should get to take the wider shoes, and the traditional stagger is pointless on a FWD since the drive wheels actually get narrower tires than the free rolling ones. also in AWD drive cars, which are inherently prone to understeer, the wider front trick helps the car turn in and hold the cornering line. but the stagger setup on AWD cars also depends on the power split setup; some AWD cars are biased to the front drive wheels (new mazdapeed6, eclipse GSX, EVO, etc.) and some are biased to the rear (diabloVT, newer 911 turbo etc.). the ones that have more drive force going to the rear have wider rears even though they are AWD. however, the wider front setup is less prevelant, almost non-existent stock and pretty much never used on the street since it is not very aesthetically pleasing... more of a form follows function thing. the wider front setup is mostly seen on high powered FWD drag cars for obvious reasons.
    was just searching for an old unrelated link and i stumbled on something i wrote almost 2 1/2 years ago...

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/viewt...1114&highlight=

Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 11:17 pm

Quote Originally Posted by Reelax
    staggered width would make sense on our cars only if you went wider in the FRONT since those are the drive wheels and need more contact patch to keep traction uner extreme conditions. making the rear wider on a front wheel drive car would b strictly for looks and would entail either very narrow fronts or flared rear quarters.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Reelax)</div><div class='quotemain'>

Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 11:17 pm

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Reelax)</div><div class='quotemain'>staggered width would make sense on our cars only if you went wider in the FRONT since those are the drive wheels and need more contact patch to keep traction uner extreme conditions. Â*making the rear wider on a front wheel drive car would b strictly for looks and would entail either very narrow fronts or flared rear quarters.</div></div>

It wouldn't be strictly for looks. The handling charecteristics of the car would change.