The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 7g suspension bushings

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11
    Galant14b

7g suspension bushings

Can anyone verify for me that a 1G suspension bushing kit will work on a 95 Galant? I think i remember that from back when i had my old '96, but just want to be sure. I have a bad bushing in my pass side rear suspension and i figure i might as well upgrade if i'm going to replace them anyways.

Thanks

TGC Regular
    You'd be better off getting the 2g... I doubt that the 1g bushing will work

when is we gon be free????

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    2g FWD eclipse suspension bushings will fit a 7g.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Galant14b
    thanks 4-g-rim, that's why i asked.

what company would you recommend?

i have the 2nd gen kit on my 94 GS, they really do make a hell of a difference. before i installed them, even with my tweaked suspension, i would take a long gradual turn, and the longer i held it the more the suspension seemed to loosen up, it would get to the point where i would have to slow down in to keep stay on my line. but now, my suspension is much snappier. i can hold tight turns all day long, and exits are much faster too.
    take a look at the lateral control arm in the rear suspension, its the one made from tubular steel that goes from the fender to the rear knuckle. it has a huge bushing( about the size of your front motor mount) it is actually molded like a motor mount too. meaning there is hollow spots in the bushing. with your hands, you can make the sleeve flex. just think about 3,000 plus pounds x the g forces you load on each bushing.
    when i replaced them all, it made backroads driving so much more fun, they really give you some confidence at the steering wheel. plus, if you have a manual, the shift kit will eliminate the slop in your shifter and keep you from missing second gear. Get motor mounts and strut mounts too.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

energy suspension worked great for me, and make sure you get the black ones, with the graphite in them, your chassis WILL squeak if you don't. prothane does not offer graphite impregnated bushings.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Galant14b
    thanks much DOHCSTUNR.

i'm a poor college student and i know bushings can be a pain in the ass to deal with....do they pretty much require a press to put them in? or is there some way i can do that? i'll look for a set of energy suspension w/ graphite in the mean time.

Galant14b
    ok, after reading a bit, seems like prothanes (while possibly squeaky) might be a better choice as the end result of this car is to be a track car, not a street car. Stiffer and also they are a design that's easier to work with for someone w/o access to a it still will be a daily driver until i buy something else for that purpose, but i'm not the type to care about extra noise here and there...

so opinions?

thanks

you can burn out the old bushings, or cut them out. i cut mine out with a dremmel. it took a minute or two, but it was no big deal.
    after removing the rubber, you have to remove the outer sleeve which the original bushing was pressed in with. i just used a saws-all (demolition saw, recipricating saw) with a bimetal blade to cut to lines through the sleeve, then tapped them out with a screwdriver.
    to install them... i just used a vice. and pressed them in that way,
    but, if you remove the old ones yourself, and take all the components up to a machine shop to have them pressed in, it really won't cost that much. A machine shop may be able to press the old ones out. to save you some trouble.
    i don't know how these bushings could get much harder, once they are pressed in, dispite my greatest efforts i cannot flex the bushings. i think the graphite bushings are stiffer than standard energy.
    my car is tweaked on every conciveable level(except looks), and though i only see myself going to track once or twice to see what kind of timeslip i get, i designed my car to be a super touring roadracer. these bushings made a world of difference. i'll be upgrading my front and rear swaybars once it warms up to complete the suspension work.
    i'm sure wether you go with prothane or energy, you will be pleased.

i chose the graphite because my buddy brian has a 95 gst, and when he upgraded to energy, his car sqeaked constantly. not so much at first, but after all the grease came out, everytime he go through a bumpy parkinglot, his car sounded like you were rubbing your hands on a balloon
    polyurethane is great, it even helped to take the noisy vibration out of my exhaust when i put polyurethane exhaust hangers on in place of the saggy rubber ones. now my exhaust sounds absolutly perfect.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Galant14b
    yeah, i'm definitely going for the touring/road track type of car....i dont drag except at the DSM shootout (was there in 01 w/ my 96 Galant)....the car will primarily be used at track days at blackhawk farms raceway

http://www.blackhawkfarms.com

Well i'll see.....RRE has the ES set for 160 and the Prothanes for 225...

also, cost isn't so much of a concern as keeping the car driveable....i have to be able to get to work and it's my only car...so i can't put it on blocks, take off all the suspension, and go to town for the day.....probably have to do it as i can.....and just keep it even per side.....as long as i'm careful with it, i can't imagine that method would lead to any real problems (handling or otherwise)

an anyhow, i'm a pyro..i love to burn things.....all the more reason to burn out the old bushings myself

yeah, if i had four jackstands i would have done it all at once, i just did it one corner at a time, and intstalled front first then rear. did the front one day, and the rear a couple of weeks later. mostly because i wasn't in a huge hurry to get it finished, and its a pain.
    the prothane engine mounts are better because they give you inserts for the left and right motor mounts as well as the front and rear. As the energy only has front and rear.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo