The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: oil light problem

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6
    xx1jpt5xx

oil light problem

hi im new. I jsut bought a 2000 es about 2 weeks ago. Just recently i noticed that when the car is idleing my oil light will flicker, not like a flashing but a flickering and get bright and dim etc. When i press the gas the light will go completely off. im not sure if this is an electrical prob or oil prob. any thoughts?

the light goes off because its a pressure switch.
    your oil pump is rpm dependant, so the faster the engine goes, the more oil pressure.
    i'm guessing your oil level is really low.
    so at idle, you aren't getting enough fuel pressure.
    but when you begin to rev it the pressure goes higher than the switches settings.
    but this does not mean everything is fine, just because it goes off.
    hopefully you have checked your oil by now, but if not check it. if your oil level is acceptable,
    DO NO DRIVE THE CAR ANYMORE!!!!!!
    it could be a bad pressure switch(not Likely)
    but most likely your oil pump is going bad, or there is something mechanically wrong as far as bearing lubrication, or any oilers there may be in your motor.

get a pro to check it out. its not worth blowing the motor.
    hopefully your oil level is just low, so fill it up, and find out why your oil ever got that low in the first place.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

actually the oil pressure switch failure on the 8g is quite common. its a cheap part too so that might be something to look at.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

xx1jpt5xx
    ya i did the check the oil, it looked a little low so i put some more in and drove it around the block. Sure enough the light still came on

i guess ill try the oil pressure switch since its cheap

xx1jpt5xx
    ok just bought a switch now i gota to figure out where it goes :/

its about half way up on the back of the block on the side facing the firewall if you look straight up from the exhaust piping you should see it. looks like a big bottle cap
    Brandon - 2001 Galant GST 5speed
    Wiseco // Eagle // PTE // Holset // Turbonetics // Supertech // Blox // Prosport // Vibrant // Innovate // OpenEcu // Mishimoto // Magnaflow // Walbro // XXR // Rotora // Brembo // Hawk // R1 Concepts // Dc Sports