The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: A/C Belt and ALT Belt Change

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

A/C Belt and ALT Belt Change

Elo all,

How difficult is it to change the A/C belt and ALT belt meself ? Mine was changed 10.000km ago OCT 04 and the darn things are squeekin' again.
    This time i'm staying off the sticky spray stuff though!!

Do i need to raise the engine a little? this can be hard stuff i guess.....
    Tyres and splash guards on the passenger's side will need to be removed of course.

asking if anyone has any experience on this repair.
    it'll save $70-80 on labour i suppose since those belts are worth only $10-30 for both.

The correct tension....how can i tell?

thanks for your help guys/gals.

Proto
    VERY easy. Just a few bolts

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proto)</div><div class='quotemain'>VERY easy. Just a few bolts </div>
    elo Proto.... no need to lift the engine up so we can get to these bolts ya?
    socket wrench will do the job?

Experienced TGC Member Blue Ice's Avatar
    if you just replaced the belts in oct of 2004, i'd say just try to tighten them. That should get rid of the squealing. I know i had to tighten mine a few times before it went away for good.

Proto
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RoOkS)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proto)</div><div class='quotemain'>VERY easy. Just a few bolts </div>
    socket wrench will do the job?</div>

12mm socket, socket wrench and some type of level (tire iron) is all you'll need. I had to change mine many of times. Should roughly take 20-45 mins to change.

Buy the cheap belts, they work better... Goodyear Gatorbacks are a waste of money. Also buy a small packet of brake grease and smear a little on the pulleys/under the belt.. works for about 7000-8000 miles.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proto)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RoOkS)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proto)</div><div class='quotemain'>VERY easy. Just a few bolts </div>
    socket wrench will do the job?</div>

12mm socket, socket wrench and some type of level (tire iron) is all you'll need. I had to change mine many of times. Should roughly take 20-45 mins to change.

Buy the cheap belts, they work better... Goodyear Gatorbacks are a waste of money. Also buy a small packet of brake grease and smear a little on the pulleys/under the belt.. works for about 7000-8000 miles.</div>

levelled tire iron ? yikes do i need this to get the belts out?
    better stop asking questions and get under me galant. i'll take a snap shot of the pulleys+belts if i get stuck. : ) thanks Proto.
    btw...if its too loose then it squels...if its too tight then?..... it breaks?....

Proto
    mine squeeled when i had it tight, so i changed the crankshaft pulley and belts, no more problems