The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 7G turbo gurus - oil delivery issue

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8
    You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar

7G turbo gurus - oil delivery issue

i ordered a SS oil line to go from the oil filter housing to the cartridge on the turbo. an expected problem was that the line doesn't fit the cartridge, but the line doesn't fit the oil filter housing! the threads are just a smidgen too big. i can screw it in about 2 revolutions before it gets too tough. now not only does the line not fit the turbo, but doesn't fit the filter housing on the car. i'm sunk in the water here. what's everyone's creative idea?

btw, the SS line i got on ebay:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=7940747000
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

brandon
    First off, you should have gotten the RRE one.

BUT, the fitting for the turbo side should go in very easily, if it doesn't, you can just go to a local Mitsu dealer and get a new bolt (unless the whole fitting is wrong).

For the filter housing side, it'll thread easily for the first couple turns, then it's tough. It's scary screwing it in, but I had to use channel locks to get it screwed in. It really only has to go about 4-5 threads (you run out of room about there anyway) and you should be alright. Make sure you're using some teflon tape too.

for the oil filter housing, it gets hard to screw in after a few threads because i dont think its the right fitting. it gets hard to the point where i think i'm carving my own new threads. i have to turn the fitting with vicegrips to get it to go in....can't be good.

also, i dont think the RRE will fit my 13g either. i'll call them though. thanks brandon

1994 Galant GS 5spd

brandon
    Yeah didn't realize you had a 13g... Mitsu can probably help with the fitting/banjo.

As for the threading, trust me, it's scary, but it really is a tight turn.

ok i found this shop in my city that builds "small budget" nascars, and they do muscle car work on the side. they helped me out and ordered the banjo to -4an fitting i needed. only $16.

i'm still a little worried about that SS line being so tough to screw into the oil filter housing

1994 Galant GS 5spd

brandon
    Well, you could use the top plug on the oil filter housing, but then you'll be using unfiltered oil.

I remember having a discussion on 4G64 forums when I was installing mine, and everyone agreed that it feels like you're stripping threads, but it's due to the angle.

I broke a pair of vice grips installing mine by the way.

j686m
    correct me if im wrong but that fitting is 1/8 NPT right? the hole in the block should be 1/8 BSP, two different thread pitches. try getting a 1/8 NPT tap from a hardware store and tap out the block. then it should screw right in, pipe threads are allways a little tight because they seal with the threads.

brandon
    Quote Originally Posted by j686m
    correct me if im wrong but that fitting is 1/8 NPT right? the hole in the block should be 1/8 BSP, two different thread pitches. try getting a 1/8 NPT tap from a hardware store and tap out the block. then it should screw right in, pipe threads are allways a little tight because they seal with the threads.
    But again, you'd be using unfiltered oil...