The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Bubbling Radiator Fluid

Showing results 1 to 17 of 17
    the4starish

Bubbling Radiator Fluid

Im having the strangest luck with my car. OK, for some reason, whenever I drive for anything longer than 20mins, and i stop and get out, i smell radiator fluid. I popped the hood and looked at it and noticed radiator fluid dripping out of the radiator cap. When i got back to my car a couple of hours later. I popped the hood again and looked at the radiator hose and it was all deflated. I unscrewed the radiator cap, and the hose started to fill up with air again. Im more concerned with the radiator fluid bubbling out of the radiator cap. I assume the deflating is caused by that. Anyone know why this is? or any ideas, comments, suggestions?

The blue arrow points to where the radiator fluid was bubbling/dripping. Theres no arrow, but you can see the radiator hose off to the left there.

Hello there,

Deflated radiator hose means that there is air getting in there. changing the raditor cap will fix this. i had the same problem too.
    my raditor cap wasnt leaking but it was on the way out cos the radiator hose to the engine deflate if i turn my car off.

the4starish
    The radiator cap caused the leaking too? I believe it, but I had never thought that would be it. The collapsing of the radiator hose does seem like air is getting in there.

the4starish
    I changed the radiator cap, and so far its working out OK. But i could smell some radiator fluid somewhere. I couldnt see any leaking or bubling like before, and so far, the hose hasnt deflated, but it just seems like theres another piece to this that is also causing the problem.

did you clean your engine bay? what you could be smelling is leftovers from when you had a problem.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

the4starish
    I just cleaned the bay. And the smell came back. Today on my way to work, i noticed the temp gauge a little high, so i pulled over and popped the hood again, and sure enough, there was more radiator fluid bubbling out of the cap. Same as before with the old radiator cap. Any more suggestions?

how's the line going to the overflow tank?

the4starish
    Ill take a picture of it. But before i do, just to clarify, the line going to the overflow tank is where?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the4starish)</div><div class='quotemain'>Ill take a picture of it. But before i do, just to clarify, the line going to the overflow tank is where?</div>

That small hose just behind the radiator cap is the line to the overflow tank.

the4starish
    well i think u can see it in the picture. But ill take a better picture. Come to think of it, that connection is not that great, As in, it looks torn. ill take a picture of that part specifically and let you see.

i meant check to see the condition. make sure that the line isn't clogged or anything like that.

the4starish
    OK, apparently what I should have done was check the coolant levels, because I was low, very low. That, for now, has solved it. Sorry about the unnecessary thread. But, the radiator hose is still slipping further and further off of the mount. I have to keep re-adjsuting it so it stays on properly.

brandon
    Quote Originally Posted by the4starish
    OK, apparently what I should have done was check the coolant levels, because I was low, very low. That, for now, has solved it. Sorry about the unnecessary thread. But, the radiator hose is still slipping further and further off of the mount. I have to keep re-adjsuting it so it stays on properly.
    You should probably buy a quality t-clamp like these:

www.roadraceengineering.com has them, as do many auto parts shops.

the4starish
    How do I figure out what size my hose is? Do I just measure the diameter? Circumference?

Quote Originally Posted by the4starish
    How do I figure out what size my hose is? Do I just measure the diameter? Circumference?
    After looking at the RRE site, I would assume measuring the diameter since that's what the clamps mesasurements are given for.

the4starish
    On a side note, ever since I added radiator fluid, when I start the car, i hear a gurgling noise from under the hood. It usually lasts a minute then goes away. It happens when ever the car has been off for a bit. Should I be worried?