Balance Shaft Removal

im curious if anyone has even thought of removing this? let alone done it
    05 - Scion tC
    95 - Mitsubishi Galant S
    K&N FPIK Intake ; KYB GR-2s ; Eibach Pro-Kit
    Currently in Project:
    DOHC (i jus need a few more parts)
    AT Built Tranny (just need axles)

magnus, RRE, and pretty much any DSM engine builder does it on any of their motors. 4g63 or 4g63. you will free up power, and get more oil pressure. go for it.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

i guess... but the vibration is just gonna kill u over....
    uhhhh...... Whats a 9g???

vibration is minimal. if you have stock motor mounts i doubt you'll notice a significant difference in vibration. but for the price, and the amount of power you free up, plus the added reliability of eliminating the b-shat belt, its worth it.
    the vibration is only noticable at two rpm points really.

its definatly a racer mod, for those who want to go fast and will sacrifice a reasonable amount of comfort to get there(really, the vibration is minimal).
    but if you are a pussy, and you have sand in your vagina, then forget about it. and forget about lightened flywheels, and lowering springs, and stiff shocks, and free flowing exhaust systems, and everything else that's going to keep your car from feeling like a peformance sedan.
    seriously, check out a vfaq or dsmtuners review on the mod. its not really bad, and like i said, with the added performance, reliability, and more oil pressure, why the hell not. especially for the price.
    go for it

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    back when my timing belt blew, my balance shaft belt had blown about 4 hours before it snagged into my timing belt and broke that too. driving without the balance shaft is scary if you don't know what's going on, but it's certainly a small vibration. it is less comfortable and wierd cause the vibrating feels more like a really powerfull electric pulse, but the gains received with the balance shaft gone are worth it if you're building up the motor for speed.
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

We removed the balance shafts from my engine. We haven't dropped the engine in the car yet so I can't say how much vibration there will be, but we had the entire rotating assembly balanced at the machine shop to try and reduce any vibrations that would result from removing the b-shafts.

With the engine out of the car on an engine stand it's an easy mod, but with the engine in the car it would be a pain in the balls.

Like others have said, removing the balance shafts will reduce the rotational weight on the crankshaft, increasing horsepower. Also, there would be no risk of snapping a b-shaft belt which can break your timing belt or cause you to jump a few teeth on the cam gear; it's happened to a lot of people, including me, so that alone is worth yanking them bitches out.

sounds interesting... maybe i should do this thento this car, once i get a new car one day ... i always thought the vibration was really bad for everyday driviing...meaning it sucks to casually drive from place to place....
    uhhhh...... Whats a 9g???

crazyjim
    Quote Originally Posted by krazienluv10
    sounds interesting... maybe i should do this thento this car, once i get a new car one day ... i always thought the vibration was really bad for everyday driviing...meaning it sucks to casually drive from place to place....

tell ya what, when you come out to help me shave my front end I'll let you drive my car (as soon as I get it back) I removed my balance shafts.