The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: bad rear wheel bearing?

Showing results 1 to 3 of 3

bad rear wheel bearing?

I was working on my rear brakes yesterday to replace my rear rotors on my 99 galant es v6. When I removed the brake assembly on the rear passenger side , the rotors wont come off. I think all the rust on the rotors and the hub assembly caused my rotors to get stuck on the hub assembly. Anyway to the issue, i tried rotating the rotors and noticed that there was resistance and it was making a scraping sound. The resistance was only on a quarter of a 360 degree turn ( around when you hit 20 - 110 degrees on the turn) so the hub wont rotate freely. I have 85k miles on the car. Is it time to replace the wheel bearings? I am thinking that a good wheel bearing should allow you to rotate the hub freely and would continue to rotate even after you stop rotating it by hand. ALso, a good wheel bearing should not produce any uneven scraping sounds.

Thanks for the any feedback.

if theres resistance whilst the rotor is on, its not an accurate depiction.

but honestly, if you dont hear anything while driving, theyre fine.

And yes, i dont hear any weird sounds while driving. With the wheels installed, the wheels dont move when I wiggle it left to right and up to down.