The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 63t swap help......

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13
    redboy

63t swap help......

aight peeps, im putting together my 63t to put in my G ride. i have some questions about it that i cant find at the moment.

first, the wiring harness, do i not need a 91 gst wiring harness. im using all first gen stuff cuz its all readily available to me. but i need to know exacaly what du i need my G wiring harness for. im mean i cant hook up my dist. harness for the coil plug. i can tell that all the mechanical stuff will hook up like mounts, besides the driverside one, tranny mounts and stuff but im stumped on the harness part. help me out please

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Well, Me personally, I think you should keep your Galant harness no matter which ECU you go with. I used a 2g 98 GSX ECU and my galant harness. You can follow JiPs tutorial on how to do the 2g ECU swap if you want, or you can get the wiring diagrams together for the 1g ECU. Either way, both ECUs have their ups and downs.

1g ECUs have a better data logging program. I would say use the 2g ECU since the EPROM 2g ECUs can use DSMLink, but now 1gs can use DSMLink too, so its a tossup. 2g ECU + Galant harness = minimal wiring. I can help you out if you want. I will probably make up a few diagrams on how to wire the coil pack and power transistor. JiPs tutorial is good, but I like visual diagrams better, easier to read then wording
    7g for life!

redboy
    aight.....ima get on aim in a minute, holla. my name is thandiesel, i beleive that link for the wiring is down, u have anywhere else i can get it?

Experienced TGC Member Blue Ice's Avatar
    hey man the sooner you write that up the easier it will be for me to get my swap done.

if you have a 1g ecu, in a 96+ galant, you may find it easier to use the 1g engine wiring harness combined with the g harness. that is what i did, and it worked great.

For a 2g ECU(maybe 1g too, might not be exact)
    http://www.magnusmotorsports.com/article_1g2g.htm

7g for life!

Experienced TGC Member Blue Ice's Avatar
    i have a 1994 galant ls... any ideas which would be easier for me?

redboy
    ive ordered the rest of the misc. stuff i needed, gotta bend my piping this weekend. du u think that it would b easier to just rip out my wiring and just put in the real 63t engine harness, ive been there b4 on a couple of other cars and too me its not that hard, or combine them both??? if i use them both, roughly how many wires will i b adding to my g harness? i guess thats the real question i was lookin for. i mean, if its like three wires to swap then ill combine, but if i gotta yank half of the 63t wires out thencombine those, wouldnt that b a little bit more trouble, or am i missing something about my approach???? :?:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(redboy)</div><div class='quotemain'>ive ordered the rest of the misc. stuff i needed, gotta bend my piping this weekend. Â*du u think that it would b easier to just rip out my wiring and just put in the real 63t engine harness, ive been there b4 on a couple of other cars and too me its not that hard, or combine them both??? if i use them both, roughly how many wires will i b adding to my g harness? i guess thats the real question i was lookin for. Â*i mean, if its like three wires to swap then ill combine, but if i gotta yank half of the 63t wires out thencombine those, wouldnt that b a little bit more trouble, or am i missing something about my approach???? :?:</div>
    seriously the only way to do this is to create a hybrid harness.
    you are going to want to identify and label every single wire at the ecu plugs for your galant harness. place your labels a few inches back from the connectors to give you room to work with, then cut off the ecu plugs. then do the same w/ the eclipse harness, but place the labels within a half inch of the ecu plugs, and cut the wires about 4 inches from the connector. Then using pinout diagrams for your stock galant ecu, and the eclipse ecu of your choice, match up every wire, solder and heatshrink every single one, one by one. but make sure you leave the eclipse labels on every wire.(you can get electrical wiring labels at the home depot) the reason you want to keep your stock harness, is because its already the right length and fits your car plus it has to not only plug into the ecu and engine properly, but it has to plug into your cruise control, and the body harness that has many vital things like your instrument cluster, and fuse box harness.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Well with a 2g ECU swap you wouldnt have to cut all the connectors since the '63t and '64 ECU use the same ECU connectors and the Pinout is simliar. You have to add 3 or 4 wires, Knock sensor, tach, and power for the ECU. Thats about it. Check out my Manuals I have on my site:

www.iamsethmo.com/Manuals
    7g for life!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'>Well with a 2g ECU swap you wouldnt have to cut all the connectors since the '63t and '64 ECU use the same ECU connectors and the Pinout is simliar. Â*You have to add 3 or 4 wires, Knock sensor, tach, and power for the ECU. Â*Thats about it. Â*Check out my Manuals I have on my site:

www.iamsethmo.com/Manuals</div>
    well thats if you are lucky enough to have a obd-II galant. 96-98?. they have the 4 plug ecu harness. but the rest of us 94-95 don't have that option as our ecu has only 3 plugs, so a complete rewire would be in order.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

try comparing the 3 connectors on the 94-96 g to the 1g ecu connectors. it would be interesting if they fit perfectly.

redboy
    ****SIGH****

i crak my enigne open to chek everything and what du i find, four bent valves. noproblem to fix but its still the fact that i gotta prep even more b4 i put it in. ill give yall an update on my progress :evil: