The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Auto to manual woes

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6
    spyder97gs

Auto to manual woes

Well i'm in the process of putting a 98 Galant tranny in my Spyder. Well, i'm to the part of trying to remove that washer type thing from the crank. I've beat and beat and hammered and everything to no avail. Was anybody elses stuck on there beyond belief? Can anyone recommend anything? Thanks.

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    you try heating it up with a butane torch yet? they're about $15 from lowes/home depot. mine came out pretty easy, but people have problems with it. are you using vicegrips? i had to wiggle mine out
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

spyder97gs
    I've tried heating it up for about 30 seconds, nothing to major. I've been a little scared to hurt the crank seal. I've just been using assorted pairs of pliers, im gonna try to find the vice grips though. Hopefully I can get a good enough bite w/ some heat and get it out. It seems to really, really be in there.

Also, I read your tutorial and it's been helpful, i'm swapping to a MT while I'm putting in a new motor. Did you have to get a new rear roll stopper bracket? Thanks

spyder97gs
    Okay, I'm really at a loss here. I can't get it off for anything. I tried heating it up for ten minutes and nothing is bring that SOB off. Can I just grind it down to where the flywheel will bolt up?

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spyder97gs
    Can I just grind it down to where the flywheel will bolt up?
    i don't see why not. maybe in the process of grinding it down it'll come out. try to pry it out every 2 minutes after some grinding.

of course, you can try the usual fierce blow with a hammer. just don't miss
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

spyder97gs
    Grinded that sucker down :twisted: I went at it for about an hour, and it just grinded, still wouldn't pop out. This should be just as good. Now I gotta wait on flywheel bolts from the dealer. Anyone know what size the pressure plate bolts will be so I can pick them up from the hardware store? Thanks.