The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Brake Fad.. Time to upgrade Rotors?

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7
    dacton

Brake Fad.. Time to upgrade Rotors?

I do a lot of city driving and just recently (5 months ago) installed newer brake pads and still am getting brake fad(not high perf. pads but some organic ones). The noise is gone that used to exist but now when I make a few long stops from like 50 mph the brakes seem to start to fade out. Is that weird or is that just these brakes? I've driven SCCA many years on my other cars and they never faded like this. (AND THIS IS DAILY DRIVING!!!)
    ---
    Anyways, I have a I4 99ES and if i'm correct the rear are drums and the front are rotors? I've upgraded my own brakes before but my question is is this really beneficial since the rear will still be drums(i'm not doing a conversion). Having high performance front brakes then crap back ones. Will it really help that much. I have always done the whole car all the way around.

I was looking at getting new pads again and some brembo's probably.

Thank you

dacton
    Sorry I have ceramic pads.. not organic.. my bad

I think changing just the front wouold help. Most of your stopping power concentrates in the front anyway. I went with Stillen cross-drilled rotors, and they work great. The grooves or holes (whichever you end up with) allow the pads to grab more easily all the while keeping the rotor cool.
    Laguna_Galant ___
    -------------------Lo-o>
    99' GTZ
    Injen CAI
    xir shortys
    magnaflow CAT & back
    Magnacor wires
    Desno Iridiums
    17" stock EVO wheels w/ Yokohama Advans
    Stillen rotors

dacton
    Now I'm thinking that it is due to my rotors warping cause my steering wheel shakes when i slow down. AHH!!!

That's a problem with the Galants all around. That is the major reason I changed mine out. I almost flew off the road a couple times the shaking was so bad. I heard information that historically Galants have had rotor problems. I think the calipers hug the rotors a little too tight while driving and it over heats them. Whatever the case, if you get drilled/slooted aftermarkets you won't have that problem anymore and you'll get a shorter stopping distance.
    Laguna_Galant ___
    -------------------Lo-o>
    99' GTZ
    Injen CAI
    xir shortys
    magnaflow CAT & back
    Magnacor wires
    Desno Iridiums
    17" stock EVO wheels w/ Yokohama Advans
    Stillen rotors

99blkgalant

hey man

hey man i got the brembo rotors on my car with ceramic pads and there great lot better brakeing performance i am please with them

if you are still having trouble with brake fade, even after upgrading your rotors. try bleeding all your old water soaked brake fluid out and replacing it with something better like fresh clean do 4 fluid(should do this every time you change pads anyways, at least a partial bleed).

what is most likely happening is you are boiling your brake fluis due to its lower boiling point as a result of its age, and the moisture its absorbed.
    My fathers damante used to fade and go through rotors like crazy. now i upgraded his brake lines and flushed out all the old fluid with synthetic dot 4. his brakes haven't faded since, they bit much harder, his pedal isn't spongy, and even in intense summer rush hour traffic, he has had no brake issues, and no signs of fade. even when i do a 100 to 50mph full force stop.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo