The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Timing Belt(Bent Valves)

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12

Timing Belt(Bent Valves)

Ok my timing belt broke and they said my valves are bent, how do i go about getting this fix, would i need a new engine or is this fixable, and i know its going to be expensive, has anybody had this done before if so i would like some price quotes, thanks alot.

99 percent chance that all youll need is a total valve job.
    that means removal of the head, and sending it to a quality machine shop to check (and replace if needed) any broken valves, valve quides, valve seats, etc. Then making sure the head is true, and other misc. machining jobs.

there's a small chance that a valve could be broken off its stem and pounded right into a piston, but its not too likely.

how much do you think a total valve job could run for. I need some ball park figures

Quote Originally Posted by Stay Alert
    how much do you think a total valve job could run for. I need some ball park figures
    1800 to 2000 bucks...

Would i be better off getting a another engine and have it installed.

TGC Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Stay Alert
    Would i be better off getting a another engine and have it installed.
    Seems likely

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    No way it would cost $1800 to rebuild a head. At most it would cost $400-500 assuming you are just replacing valves, guides, and getting it milled. You can pick up a used head for cheap...
    7g for life!

Quote Originally Posted by seth98esT
    No way it would cost $1800 to rebuild a head. At most it would cost $400-500 assuming you are just replacing valves, guides, and getting it milled. You can pick up a used head for cheap...
    so all i would have to do is buy a cylinder head off of a 8g galant and that will fix the bent valves

if i buy a new cylinder head, then have the timing belt replace, would this fix the whole problem of having the valves bent, somebody please help

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Depends why the belt slipped in the first place. Could have been a faulty tensioner, tension not set correctly, failing belt, its always good just to replace it.

When was the last time you changed the belt? May as well get a new water pump and tensioners and pulleys if its been 60k..
    7g for life!

i never had the timing belt changed because, money was tight, i bought the car used. So i guess i just have to have it checked out by somebody and they can tell me how to go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by seth98esT
    apparently, you dont know what youre talking about here.

its 9.8 hours of labor to just remove and replace the head. That does NOT include ANY machining time, any parts, any gaskets, etc.
    so, assuming a 100 buck an hour labor time (certainly the norm these days), youve got 980 bucks just in labor. figure about 500 bucks for the machine work (replace valves, guides, seats, clean, set all valve height and associated angles correctly), the gasket kit (150 bucks if youre lucky), the timing belts, oil change, and coolant, and youre easily looking at 1800 bucks. Minimum.