The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Windshield removal?

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13
    Experienced TGC Member

Windshield removal?

I have discovered that Mitsubishi uses very soft laminated glass...cracks real easily.

With that out of the way, is there anything I should know about in removing the front windshield? I have the service manual, and it looks pretty straight foward. So I'm thinking about heading up 200 miles or so to pick up a cheap windshield from a salvage yard.

Front what I can tell, all I have to do is either use piano wire, or a knife to cut through the 3M adhesive that holds the windshield in place. Then use some suction cups and lift it out.

Anything else I should know?

Thanks.

ipaintu
    call a glass shop? Maybe the best 75.00 you spent. Since I heard windshields for Galants are cheap. Like 350.00

i spent $150 (labor + windshield) for some mexicans by shea stadium to do mine. definately worth the money. it took 3 guys over an hr to put it in. think how long it would take 1 person. plus they had experience doing it everyday.

they used some tool to put inbetween the glass and chassis frame and pulled down to seperate the windshield from the body. glass spiderwebed all over but it didnt break. they didnt use suction cups, they just knocked it out. next they cut away the old adheasive and layed down the new adheasive. put on new windshield and cleaned it with newspaper

Experienced TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ipaintu)</div><div class='quotemain'>call a glass shop? Â*Maybe the best Â*75.00 you spent. Since I heard windshields for Galants are cheap. Like 350.00</div>

Well the car-parts.com is showing prices from 75-125 for the glass itself. And all I'm really concerned about is getting the glass, how it is installed doesn't matter to me (either I or the shop does it).

Man if you lived in Chi I could give you the name of a shop that did my windscrean for $100. Like the others said, if you have not done so you might want to look into some of the shops for prices. When they did mines they used some kinf of black stuff to seal it I think. Mabey that was the adhesive.
    "A mile of road takes you one mile...A mile of runway takes you anywhere."

Experienced TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(UAL Tripple 7)</div><div class='quotemain'>Man if you lived in Chi I could give you the name of a shop that did my windscrean for $100. Like the others said, if you have not done so you might want to look into some of the shops for prices. When they did mines they used some kinf of black stuff to seal it I think. Mabey that was the adhesive.</div>

I will talk to some shops around the area soon, though I'm almost 100% certain that they cannot simply repair it. This is a VERY large spider-web crack. The longest tangent is easily a foot long, and runs up to the roof lining.

edit: Ok looks like there is a company called Safelite Auto Glass who will come to your home and replace the window for you. There charging between 200 to 300 dollars.

Seems like a pretty good deal. Might just do that.

ipaintu
    Oh i thought you was just taken it out to do some work and put back in...

getting out once broke is easy. you dont have to worry about breaking it.

Getting it back in isnt hard either. Just have to buy a Urathane kit for it.
    But think about this. 150.00 for glass 75.00 for Kit.. Time puttin it in.

your better off haven someone do it for you. In My state they replace our windshield for any reason if you have full coverage, not your state?

I had mine done last yr when a rock truck got me....
    Now my wifes Saturn glass.. HAHAHAHA They told me was a dealer item only which was 750 for WS alone.
    we sold that car fast...

Jet you might be able to beat that price. I got a whole new one put in for $100. I let Safelite repair my Grand Prix and everyone told me they are high priced. It is nice to have them come out to the house though so I guess they have to charge for that.
    "A mile of road takes you one mile...A mile of runway takes you anywhere."

Experienced TGC Member
    Well I was originally considering going up to Bakersfield and grabbing a used windshield from another Galant in one of the salvage yards. Though the problem I face is getting the windshield out of the other Galant in a timely manner, and without cracking it.

So glass can really go for that cheap? I'm really sceptical about this Safelite Auto Glass people due to there low price. It makes me wonder if the cost includes a new window as well.

As for my insurance. Well I have only liability right now, and I already talked to them. I am no covered.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ipaintu)</div><div class='quotemain'>Oh i thought you was just taken it out to do some work and put back in...

getting out once broke is easy. Â*you dont have to worry about breaking it.

Getting it back in isnt hard either. Just have to buy a Urathane kit for it.
    But think about this. Â*150.00 for glass Â*75.00 for Â*Kit.. Time puttin it in.

your better off Â*haven someone Â*do it for you. Â*In My state they replace our windshield for any reason if you have full coverage, not your state?

I had mine done last yr when a rock truck got me.... Â*
    Now my wifes Saturn glass.. Â*HAHAHAHA Â* Â*They told me was a dealer item only which was 750 for WS alone.
    we sold that car Â*fast...</div>

Experienced TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(UAL Tripple 7)</div><div class='quotemain'>Jet you might be able to beat that price. I got a whole new one put in for $100. I let Safelite repair my Grand Prix and everyone told me they are high priced. It is nice to have them come out to the house though so I guess they have to charge for that.</div>

HOLY COW! Is that total including a new windshield??? :shock:

TGC Regular
    hey man, i got my windshield replaced about a month ago. i just looked through the yellow pages for companies, first company wanted 294, then the next company was cheaper, and the next was cheaper, i finally found a company who had a guy coming out to my area within the hour, and they were charging like, 178 or somethin, it was like 105 for the glass itself. he came to my work, and although i could have been working while he was replacing it, i just stood there and watched him, he had some special tools, but i dont recall any suction cups, and it does have a lifetime warrany on leaks and stuff for the install. all the companies i called made sure to let me know that they DID NOT use Mitsubishi Glass, i dont know why that is, but it seemed important for me to know. if you want, i can try and find that receipt and let you know the Company's Name, i just dont know if they go up your ways.

what is this traveling company thing? here in ny, we have have junkyards and specialty shops next to junkyards where u can take ur car to and they do it on the spot. and $100 is a great deal. i thouhgt i got a good price with $150

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ipaintu)</div><div class='quotemain'> Â*In My state they replace our windshield for any reason if you have full coverage, not your state?</div>

yeah had mine done for free about 6 months ago thru safelite as long as you have full coverage