The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Newbie question regarding gears

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7
    jfLip

Newbie question regarding gears

What exactly are the 3, 2, & L for? Sorry for the dumb question :puzzled1:

well if you have a big spoiler (wing), after you start rolling, you shift down to 3. then to 2. L is for liftoff

j/k

Re: Newbie question regarding gears

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jfLip)</div><div class='quotemain'>What exactly are the 3, 2, & L for? Â*Sorry for the dumb question Â*:puzzled1: Â* </div>

placing the car in 3 prevents it from shifting any higher than 3rd gear. 2 prevents higher than second, and so on.
    on the newer cars with sportronic, placing it in 3 will leave it in third gear permanently, at least until the car slows to such a speed that it cant be harnessed correctly, at which time it'll automatically downshift.

frankly, just leave it in "drive". the car knows when to shift.

loser00
    well tis dep on 2 things
    1-are you going to pull anyting
    2-why would you pull somehting
    on a truck when useing an auto trans you would use low for higher rpms without the trans shifting much like a stadered trans but you own a galant so you should just leave it in drive unless you need the rpms for some reson
    me personally i go down to low if im on the highway and there is a traf jam out of nowhere so i dont have to slame the brakes i just let the moter do it for me going down in gears odesnt do any harm as long as you do it very slow(not resposable if you do it) but if you ask me just helps with the fast slowing down process with out the brakes locking up
    my .2 cents

I like qnz's answer
    '99 ES Fed Spec
    Apexi SAFC
    OBX "R" header
    2.5" header back exhaust
    Dynomax Resonator (replaced cat)
    Bullet style 4" muffler with removable baffle
    Injen CIA
    Denso Iridium Spark Plugs
    NGK wires
    AEM Underdrive Pulleys (Alt, Water Pump)
    16" Alba rims

Interior:
    Leather seats (Aftermarket)
    Pioneer Head Unit
    Pioneer speakers

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qnz)</div><div class='quotemain'>well if you have a big spoiler (wing), after you start rolling, you shift down to 3. then to 2. Â*L is for liftoff Â* </div>

this answer is correct except it needs to be a DOUBLE SPOILER WING

- kaimon

j/k

dude it's obvbiously there so you can pretend to have a manual car and shift sequentially while letting off the gas between shifts so you look like you are changing gears.

nah.

think of it this way. L won't let you go past (what is it like 45mph) so if you need to climb one hell of a hill at a 20-30mph limit, you know which gear to pick! or 2. or 3 depending on hill/speed.