The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: tires rubbing

Showing results 1 to 17 of 17
    smashedg

tires rubbing

i have konig image 18" rims with 225/45/18 tires, I rub when i go over any bumps or make a tight turn. Looking for new struts for the front and rear, anyone have some ideas. *How does a 7g ride with coilovers?

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    What is the offset of the wheels?
    7g for life!

Yea it has to do with your offset, unless your shocks/struts are sagging and it has now started to rub. You can roll your fenders...that would be youe best bet to stop to rubbing.
    2001 Galant I4 Dover Pearl

Mods:
    Injen CAI
    GC Coilovers
    18x8.5 ADR M-Classics
    225/40HR Kumho Ectsa Supra's
    Nokya H4 Headlights
    Clear Corners
    Reverse Indiglo Guages

Soon to Come...
    Apexi N-1 Exhaust
    x2 JL Audio W6 Subs

do you have any clue where are u rubbing??

if i were to post the same thing people would tell me just like you to roll my fenders. but str8 up rolling my fenders wouldn't do shit for me since my wheels aren't rubbing there. i think the first thing you should do is figure out where is it rubbing. that and get those new struts/shocks. since you said you need new ones, im guessing the ones you have now are blown and is sagging. getting new shocks/struts will get rid of that sag and raise your car a tad bit.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

What's the offset and width of your rims? Like Pinoy asked, where are you rubbing? Up front or in the rear? On the fender or on the suspension? Are you riding on the stock suspension?

Re: tires rubbing

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(smashedg)</div><div class='quotemain'>i have konig image 18" rims with 225/45/18 tires, ....How does a 7g ride with coilovers?</div>

ok so im guessing you have a 7g.

this might also be ur problem. i have a similar problem with my 18's but it doesn't matter to me since im replacing my tires.

the tires are big. they are about 2 inches higher than the stock tires. meaning they fill the wheel well much more than the stock tire would. so thats a big factor right there. you might want to get smaller tires. that would help.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

smashedg
    the rims are 18x8 it feels like when i have people in the back and i drive over a bump or a dip in the road i hear the tire rub. also when noone is in the car it seams like the front of the car is about an inch higher then the rear.
    Im looking for some suspension ideas to raise the back up
    ( i have the erebuni kit on the car and i live on long island, the roads out here sux)
    Ive heard some thing about gr2. What the hell are gr2. what year/model would fit... im guessing a 2g eclipse???? " apprieciate any help"

leth4lproductions
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(smashedg)</div><div class='quotemain'>the rims are 18x8 Â*it feels like when i Â*have people in the back and i drive over a bump or a dip in the road i hear the tire rub. Â* also when noone is in the car it seams like the front of the car is about an inch higher then the rear. Â*
    Im looking Â*for some suspension ideas to raise the back up
    Â* Â* Â* Â* ( i have the Â*erebuni kit on the car and i live on long island, the roads out here sux)
    Â* Â* Ive heard some thing about gr2. Â* Â*What the hell are gr2. Â* what year/model would fit... im guessing a 2g eclipse???? " apprieciate any help"</div>

KYB GR2 Gas Shocks...

brandon
    18x8? Yikes. I have 7.5 and I can't have more than one person in the back seat w/o rubbing. Fronts rub all the time.

I have the GR2s and they're nice, but they won't change your ride height.

Re: tires rubbing

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(smashedg)</div><div class='quotemain'>i have konig image 18" rims with 225/45/18 tires,... *How does a 7g ride with coilovers?</div>

ok here's the problem. the 8G has bigger wheel wells than the 7G and the optimum size 18" wheel / tire package for the 8G is 18x7.5 +45mm w/ 225/40zr18 tires. not only are your wheels too wide for the 7G, your tires are too tall as well! try 215/35zr18 and u might not rub, if that doesnt work get some 18x7.5 +42 rims to match your new tires.

smashedg
    i kinda like havin 225/45/18 the ride is a bit smoother and pot holes arent that big of an issue.....withe the smaller tires i used to pop them alll the time.
    as for the shocks kyb gr2 are they made for the 94-98 us spec galant, and were is a good place to get them-with out getting ripped off

brandon
    Yes they make the GR2 for 94-98 Galant... cheapest place I've ever found is tirerack.com

Right now they're $48 for the fronts and $33 for the rears.

smashedg
    is that 48 per front and 33 per rear so 172 total

brandon
    Yep... don't think you'll find em cheaper.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(smashedg)</div><div class='quotemain'>i kinda like havin 225/45/18 Â* the ride is a bit smoother and pot holes arent that big of an issue.....withe the smaller tires i used to pop them alll the time.
    Â*as for the shocks kyb gr2 Â*are they made for the 94-98 us spec galant, and were is a good place to get them-with out getting ripped off</div>

That tire size is too big even for a 8G Galant. I would do what others have already recommended reduce the tire size to a more proper size.

im running 18x8 with 235/40's and im doing okay...my offset is off a 91 supra turbo's offset, so its on a rwd offset. they used to rub like yours when i had stock shocks in the rear...but when i put my tein s-tech springs and kyb gr-2's, they dont rub, even with 4 people in the car...the only time i experienced rubbing was when i hit a big ass dip and the 2 passengers in the back were heavier than your average bear. my advise, roll your fenders, correct the camber, and make sure you have the correct offset. hopefully this helps you out.
    02 Galant ES I4 ~ DD. JDM Kit/BBS LM Gold/D2/EvoRecaro/EGR/JL Audio/Eclipse Audio/Greddy/Injen/Project Kics/Brembos
    2010 Lexus IS350c Tungsten Pearl Mica/Volk GTM/H&R Springs/F sport intake/Project Kics/Lems Shift knob
    2010 Lexus IS-F Ultrasonic Blue/Volk TE37/HKS Hipermax IV GT/Ventross Kit/Lexon/JoezPerformance/Tom's/Project Kics/RR-racing tune
    2009 Acura TL w/Tech package A-spec Kit/ BBS LM/Tein

Your wheels are too wide and your tires are too tall. 18x7.5 is supposedly the biggest and widest wheel you can put on a 7g without rubbing. I had 18x7.5 with a 225/4018 and had no rubbing issues at all. Going to a 40 series tire from a 45 shouldn't make that much of a difference in your ride quality, It might make the rubbing stop.