The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Dash kit pics

Showing results 1 to 15 of 15
    whiteboydan89

Dash kit pics

I was considering buying a dash kit on ebay, but the only pictures I can find are for the wood finish. Does anyone have pics of aluminum, polished aluminum, or chrome dash kits installed on an 8g? If anyone could post pics I'd really apreciate it.

Dont buy them they are not actually the pieces they are basically High tech stickers. They well adventually peal off and are not worth the hassle save your money and paint your trim

Well, my "high tech stickers" havent faded or peeled off yet? :? after almost 2.5 years. here is a pic as requesed of the brushed aluminum.

2005 TGC Fantasy Football Champ III
    http://www.Gencoupe.com/garage/3337

off a TGC member a few years ago.
    2005 TGC Fantasy Football Champ III
    http://www.Gencoupe.com/garage/3337

Aztec
    sorry to get off topic.... but Chrome what did you do to your glove compartment???

whiteboydan89
    Thanks for posting those pics. Everywhere I looked I could only find pics of the wood trim. I'm probably going to buy it off ebay for like $130, but if anyone knows a cheaper place, please let me know.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(whiteboydan89)</div><div class='quotemain'>Thanks for posting those pics. Everywhere I looked I could only find pics of the wood trim. I'm probably going to buy it off ebay for like $130, but if anyone knows a cheaper place, please let me know.</div>
    I'm telling you, it will look much better if you paint the peices yourself. it will take more time, but you will thank yourself and it won't cost more then $20 to do it. its just poping out the dash peices, unscrewing some stuff, and takeing apart your inner door pannels, whcih sounds scary, but really is not hard. and sanding them down. you don't even need to sand the air vents, or gauge bezel. and a few coats of a good spray paint. and clearcoat. and put it back together and your done. hers a picture of mine.

with the stickers, its not going to cover every curve so it will be really obvious that its just a silver sticker. so by painting it you cover every angle so it looks more clean. good luck with whatever you choose.

hey what about using the new fusion plastic spray paint no sanding..has anyone tried that?
    No man is your friend, No man is your enemy, Every man is your Teacher

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(stopfakn)</div><div class='quotemain'>hey what about using the new fusion plastic spray paint no sanding..has anyone tried that?</div>
    I used the fusion paint on the inside of my headlights without sanding or anything and it seemed to work really well. It hasn't peeled yet, so it stands up to the heat of the headlights too.

On some of my interior trim pieces, I used Kraylon high gloss spray paint without sanding and that held up excellent. One place I used it, on the door handle cups, I rub against it all the time with my hand/fingernails and it hasn't scratched off or anything. You just need to make sure the pieces are perfectly clean of dirt and grease before you paint them.

would I need a clear coat cuz doesn't it get kinda sticky?
    No man is your friend, No man is your enemy, Every man is your Teacher

if your paint ends up sticky then you're not doing something right.

make sure to clean and prep the surface before you start painting. IMO, this is a very important step. if you don't do this right, then you might as well trash the project.

then make sure that you paint in multiple light coats vs, one or two heavy coats. make sure that each coat of paint has a chance to dry before you put on the next coat.

also since it is winter, make sure that when you let the paint dry, it is in a place where its not too cold. the can of paint says what temperature range you can let it dry at. if its too cold, the paint won't dry as quickly.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

its also key that you mix the paint very well before you begin. shake the can for a few minutes on and off before you start. don't just shake it up and down. get that marble bouncing all around. well mixed paint yeilds better results.
    clearcoat isn't entirely nessecary because most plastic paints are gloss anyways. although if after its dried, you don't feel it has the sine you desire, then by all means spray away.

after the paint has fully cured. it definatly is a good idea to put a couple of nice coats of carnuba wax. this will help protect it from abrasion, as well as five it a nice finished look.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Aztec
    i got a silver 02.......whats the closes spray paint code to my OEM color? Also people are talking about taking time to do things right but what about a primer coat. Is it not needed???

when painting your interior pieces i recommend a primer coat. i once painted my interior trim pieces without a primer coat and each piece was a slightly different shade from another piece. reason being, one piece was wood grain, the other was black plastic, the other was grey plastic. if you prime the piece the your colored paint is going on top of the same color.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.