The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: wheres my redline???

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

wheres my redline???

As some of you know i bought a 96 galant(AT) right before Christmas. Anyways the car needed a motor so i put a stock motor in until i finish up with my 2.3 stroker,blow thru,ect. I got my tag on thursday and while i was on my way to work on Friday i get in here a little bit. I hit the o/d button and wasnt paying attenion to the cluster when i finally did i was at 6500 rpms,now remind you my car is suppose to redline at 6k. I did this same thing tonite on the way home from the races just to see if i was dreaming, i mean this time i wanted to take it up til it started busting up. I got it up to 6700 rpms but the car was still pulling strong and it did bust up!! Has anyone else ever experienced this other than me?

Amanda Huginkiss

Re: wheres my redline???

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(B19WHEELS)</div><div class='quotemain'>As some of you know i bought a 96 galant(AT) right before Christmas. Anyways the car needed a motor so i put a stock motor in until i finish up with my 2.3 stroker,blow thru,ect. I got my tag on thursday and while i was on my way to work on Friday i get in here a little bit. I hit the o/d button and wasnt paying attenion to the cluster when i finally did i was at 6500 rpms,now remind you my car is suppose to redline at 6k. I did this same thing tonite on the way home from the races just to see if i was dreaming, i mean this time i wanted to take it up til it started busting up. I got it up to 6700 rpms but the car was still pulling strong and it did bust up!! Has anyone else ever experienced this other than me?</div>
    Goodnight engine, goodnight tranny.

your engine isn't going to die from a couple of short bouts past the redline.

the reline on the sohc 4g64 is there mostly because there is no power to be made up there with its long stroke and limited flowing head.
    the rod angle on the 4g64 makes the pistons speed very very fast at higher rpms, this makes it more difficult for the cylinders to fill w/ air.
    even more so, with the anemic sohc desing its harder to get the air in.

now, the excessive pistons speed and rod angle will wear your motor out at those rpms. not immediatly but eventually.
    what you are more at risk for is floating a valve cause the cam is spinning so fast, with the stonk valspring pressure, the spring can't keep the valve seated on the cam for its duration. which would result in a piston smacking a valve.

but regardless, there is no reason to take your engine up that high because there is no pull, or power to be made.
    no with oout a cam and some forced induction at least.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

I dunno if it applies, but if I rev my car (in nuetral) I'm pretty sure I noticed it start to bust up at pretty much exactly the redline. By busting up, we mean starting to make that wierd wavy "OMFG-ENGINE-ABOUT-TO-BLOW-UP" sound?

BMW owner. Galant fanatic.

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    Crazy, why would you wanna redline the engine anyway?

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

your engine had a neutral rev limiter. meaning if its out of gear it will only rev so high. i thought it was lower than that. i'm pretty sure the revlimiter is higher when you are in gear.
    but idk cause i have an entirely different ecu than any of the 7g guys

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Proto
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DOHCstunr)</div><div class='quotemain'>your engine had a neutral rev limiter. meaning if its out of gear it will only rev so high. Â*i thought it was lower than that. i'm pretty sure the revlimiter is higher when you are in gear.
    but idk cause i have an entirely different ecu than any of the 7g guys</div>

what about mine?

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Hitting the redline once in awhile won't hurt you man. Unless you choose to set camp and make sweaty love with your redline for long periods of time....its going to bust and it ain't the good kind of bust. You got a 2.4L...your power in on the bottom end. Use It!

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo