The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: HELP!

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13
    CliptheApex

HELP!

has anyone here installed the rpw i4 headers...if so please help me out with installation. im no expert, but i can say that simply from the looks of it, this is no simple bolt on.
    the headers themselves dont appear to be a problem, but the o2 sensor is on the factory headers, the only socket for an o2 senser i got from rpw was down on the flex pipe, is that where the sensor goes? and also, the flex pipe looks like it would bolt on to the headers, but there is no other place in my exhaust that woul match the bolts on the flex pipe. is the flex pipe supposed to run all the way back to my cat?
    i guess none of this is making sense, if anyone could help me, could you please PM me and ill try to explain better, thanks alot

I havent seen the I4 headers but based on the V6 headers here's my suspicion. You have a Fed spec car. Sounds like the headers you have are just fine. You will have to relocate the O2 sensor . As far as the bolt up goes, you're right. The headers bolt on to the flex pipe. However, if the I4 is designed like the V6 your cat doesn't have a flange on the front. So what you'll have to do is cut your cat at the front and weld a flange on it. Then match that flange up to the other end of the flex pipe and you're golden.

Just to be sure about the O2 sensor, email David Thomas at RPW or Matt at Vision Imports. They're both experts in their product. Let me know if you need addresses
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

CliptheApex
    god dammit, they sent me the wrong fucking headers

Chill dude. If they made a mistake they'll fix it. Vision and RPW are reputable and trustworthy. Just give Matt a buzz. How do you know they're wrong? Did you tell them whether you had a fed or cali spec? Just treat them professionally and you'll get the same in return. I know these guys. Whatever you do don't be trashing them or their product on the board. That got someone else in serious shit.

Chip
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

CliptheApex
    im not trashing them, but i cant help but to be a little upset. its too late to call them now, will i have to pay shipping again to get the new ones?

toc8g
    From what I understand from reading here and Club 3G the header only fits directly with highflow cat. If you just get the header and flex pipe you will have to do additional modding. Also I heard from here and their that you will have to extend the 02 sensor. That is all I know.

CliptheApex
    yes i knew that, i was going to do some welding, but what didnt fit was the bolt pattern connecting to the exhuast manifold. the holes didnt line up.

toc8g
    Well,..also let me ask this. Is the bolt pattern completly off? I heard some 3G members had to widen the holes or something like that. I would go to club 3G since their are more members their who have major experience with the header. I asked a header question and I think I got 5 replies. I guess I will have to get the header also and make a complete FAQ about installation and what not when I get it. Maybe you can contribute since you are going thru the pains now.

CliptheApex
    not completely off, the top holes all match up fine, but the bottom holes are all like halfway.

toc8g
    Yeah,..I think that was the deal. They had to widen the holes. Check at Club 3G. I would post the link but for some reason I can't connect to them with broadband.

ok I shouldn't be the one to say this because I haven't installed mine yet but the bold on is fine. Yes you have to extend the first o2 sensor to the flexpipe. the Cat does come flanged on both ends so no welding is needed however even if you take the Gaskets off of the OEM header you will still need to get an additional Flange gasket from the dealer or i suggest if your not in a hurry DEL RAY. I bought all new gaskets from the dealer and I forgot about the flange so I am just taking that one from the OEM Piping. not sure if you will need some additional welding for the flex pipe it hasn't stopped raining here long enough for me to look.

If you want to see the parts for the header look here in my yahoo folder.
    Actually just ckick on the links elow

The FLex pipe (Bung for o2 on the left end of it)
    http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/41e48fc6/bc...cS9J_9A5WFbJT14

Cat (hard to see but bung also on left end right after flange)
    http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/41e48fc6/bc...cCcR19A6s5GYqm8

Header (Bungs not included)
    http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/41e48fc6/bc...cS9J_9A23mR8SXL
    C.J. Cameron
    RETIRED TUNER!!!!

"Keeping it Simple"

CliptheApex
    ok, heres what i got from vision, on cali spec cars, you need to buy the straight pipe to make the headers completely bolt on, without it, you need to weld, and they are cool as hell sending me one for free. so props to them. and i guess ill just have to get my machine guy to cut the holes to make them fit