The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: WTF!? Power Problems

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12

WTF!? Power Problems

Ok last night I was fooling around with my dome light wires... I wanted to wire an LED that would pretty much act as my dome light.. Well I got a lil more fancy with it and also wired it up to my music interface which makes my other neons dance to the music.. everything was working fine until I noticed that when i closed the door and waited for the neon to dim out..there was still some residual power in the led... but when I moved the original dome light selector switch to "door" it would go completely off... but somehow.. :shock: my head unit starting trying to turn on and off... and it would do it only when I went from door to off on my dome lights...
    first instinct was to cut the wires and reverse them to see if I mixed up my power and grown.. I did that and nothing would come on... so Heres my current problem..
    NONE of my accessories will come on when the key is not in the ignition.. IE Windows, Locks, Keyless Entry, Dome lights, Trunk lights, headlights... nothing. but when my key is in the ignition, and turned on, Everything previously stated works, (besides the keyless entry ofcourse) but the head unit and dome lights still do not come on.. I'd say it was a blown fuse.. but.. I checked all fuses (pretty sure) and everything looks good... what next?!
    MARCH 2009 COTM
    fully interfaced with Xbox Media Center. learn more at www.xbmc.org[/b]

Ballin' on a budget

there is no residual power in the led. there's a capacitor in the dome light circuit that keeps the dome light on for a few seconds after you close the door. since the led draws less current than an incandescent bulb, it takes a longer time for the capacitor to drain hence it seems like the led is on forever.

but yea, first thing i'd do is revert everything to stock. the way thigns were before you fiddled with everything.

then go in the engine bay and replace that blown 10 amp fuse you have in there.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

I tried to look for the blown fuses.. didn't see anything wrong..everything back to pretty much stock.. exept for the interface which is probably off another source since they still work.
    MARCH 2009 COTM

Ballin' on a budget

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    there has to be a blown fuse somewhere.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

exactly what i was thinking.. but I can clearly see good connects on all the fuses.. i'm sure a fuse would blow before a wire fried..well i hope...
    EDIT: Are there any other fuse spots other than the fuse box by the steering wheel and the one under the hood?
    MARCH 2009 COTM

Ballin' on a budget

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    Ya i too be checking fuses and sometimes they look good but remember that they dont have to blow exactly on the arch, I had to go to autozone and get one of those 3.99 fuse testers. Works great and it beats having to guess which fuse is bad when the green light can tell you faster and more accurate too. Did you check the box under the hood too?

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

yes.. i checked under the hood but i never really checked to see if they were blown in another spot besides the arc. i pulled a few but not all.. i'll try that and see... any other suggestions anyone?
    MARCH 2009 COTM

Ballin' on a budget

the fuses in the yellow thing in the fusebox under the hood are the culprit. Any time all of that stuff stops working it's been one of those 2 fuses.
    MECP First Class Certi-fried installer.

For the right price, nothing is impossible.

COol I tried to pull them out but It almost looked like it was a spare fuse holder or something.. that's my last resort.. hate to sound like a newb but I can't figure out how to pull that out without being scared ima break it.
    MARCH 2009 COTM

Ballin' on a budget

just pull up on the yellow thing. then pull out the fuse with some needle nose pliers or a fuse puller

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Yea then you rip that yellow piece of crap out and smash it to pieces with a hammer! Sorry for the number of times i've blown 1 or both of those fuses, I still have issues getting the bad fuse out and the new one in.
    MECP First Class Certi-fried installer.

For the right price, nothing is impossible.

FIXED... such a simple solution to a complicated problem

thx everyone
    MARCH 2009 COTM

Ballin' on a budget