The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 5spd and exhaust

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9
    You are here entirely tooo much!!

5spd and exhaust

Well now that im finally up and running after doing my 5spd swap i started to notice that my exhaust sounds a lil funny.
    Doesnt sound like it use to when i had my A/T in there.
    Sounds more aggressive and ricey at the same time.

What exhaust and or mufflers do you guys think i should go out and get for the G? I want it to sound quiet but still give a nice vrooom to the car when i punch the gas.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

lol i cut mine off.. its loud and thats how i like it.. but my friend has a magna flow on a 2g eclipse that im going to put on mine once he gets 'cat back'
    1997 Mitsubishi Galant 4G64 *R*I*P*

soon to come, 97 Copper GST 5spd, Bone Stock, for now...

Still stand by my Remus. Defines what you are looking for to a T!

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    I dont see how a transmission would change the exhaust tone. Check for exhaust leaks.
    7g for life!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'>I dont see how a transmission would change the exhaust tone. Â*Check for exhaust leaks.</div>

well when driving an auto, your exhaust notes will be different because your engine is essentially lugging most of the time, since there is a lag between the tranny and the engine created by the torque converter.

If you want a new muffler get one, i suggest installing a resonator or two.

as far as mufflers go, i have a meagan racing muffler.

all straight through mufflers are, is a resonator. just another resonator. so as long as the muffler you have looks good and is appropriatly sized/well made, then get whatever you can live with.

my meagan muffler looks and sounds great.

i need to add a couple of long resonators when i do my 3" exhaust but thats just cause i like to keep the sound deep and smooth.

as is, with my stock pipe back to a 3" muffler, its not raspy at all, and my resonators are cut out. it would be better had i kept the stock resonators though.

i also suspenpended my entire exhaust with polyurethane exhaust hangers to dampen the vibrations created by open exhausts. the dampening helps to maintain a smoother tone as well. takes any high throttle vibratory noise out.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

im thinking about getting a Remus and last but not least the Magnaflow.

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'>I dont see how a transmission would change the exhaust tone. Â*Check for exhaust leaks.</div>

my exhaust note changed after my 5spd swap. it had a more "airy" sound and was quieter while cruising, and louder under wot. the change wasn't drastic, but noticeable to someone who drives their car every day
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Ya I noticed it immediately.

For what it's worth I just put a....Flowmaster! in my car. Yeah, not exactly a popular choice among the import crowd, but it really sounds pretty good. It sounds the best at idle and up to about 2500 rpm. From 2500-3500 rpm it's a little heavy on the resonance, and from 3500-redline, it sounds surprisingly stock. The guy at the exhaust shop said it'd sound better if I cut out the tiny resonator near the rear axle and put a longer one in at the center of the car. I'll probably do both of those along with a new cat in a couple of months.
    Staying busy is important. After all, idle hands spend time at the genitles.