The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: POWER DRAIN

Showing results 1 to 16 of 16

POWER DRAIN

I am currently running an alpine head unit with 5.6" screen, dvd player, cd, 2 12" subs, 750 watt amp, and an alarm. I have a yellow top battery and I am having problems with the car having enough power just to start up at times! I know people with a hell of a lot more equipment than I have and they dont have the same problems I do. My alternator is not that old and I believe it is a heavy duty unit...so why the major power loss? Should I just go to a shop and have the stereo rewired? Maybe it wasn't done correctly? Any ideas? Thanx

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

i'd make sure everything is turning off when you turn off the car.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

I do that too and it still doesnt do well....better than with the stereo on, but the head unit is the only thing on...the dvd player is on a switch so... I dont know

Experienced TGC Member
    Seeing that from personal experience the 7G sucks ass when it comes to handling an aftermarket stereo.. I dont know what to tell you. The stock radio in my car made the fuckin lights blink.. Now that i have a whopping 250 watt amp in there i have to pause my stereo at a stop light because the amp cuts on and off even though i have a capacitor... So my suggestion is to either A. Run a new battery to the trunk. B. check all your wires. Make sure your remote to your amp is hooked up the correct way. Check the memory wire to your head unit.... i dunno thats all i can think of for now

Either 1) You need a battery. 2) You need a starter. 3) You need a alternator.

Get them tested and replace as needed.

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RedGalant2k1)</div><div class='quotemain'>Either 1) You need a battery. 2) You need a starter. 3) You need a alternator.

Get them tested and replace as needed.</div>

Cosigned.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

Experienced TGC Member
    Now that i think about it.. Some people are ghetto.. They dont run the remote wire from the Power antenna wire on the back of the stereo instead they take a wire and run it from the 12 volt side on the amp to the remote.. That will not let the amp cut off and it will drain your battery... So check that

rolling
    i had a 7g and it allways sounded like crap because of power drain i dodnt know why sorry man

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RedGalant2k1)</div><div class='quotemain'>Either 1) You need a battery. 2) You need a starter. 3) You need a alternator.

Get them tested and replace as needed.</div>

Battery is only about a year old

Got a new starter when I got the new engine

Alternator has been replaced as well!

I think I am gonna buy a new head unit and get the car rewired...maybe a custom trunk build and hopefully the people do it right!

i dunno, i have had power problems with my car too but i can understand with mine 3 year old battery and 1000w rms amp, not a good combo. but my lights dim even without it turned on...

Sometimes when the power window switch goes bad it will kill the pwer.

didnt think of that. My windows are acting real retarded lately too! Plus I noticed that even with the stereo power off...my cd player still runs! This could also be an issue

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(evil-G-nius (aka Kimya))</div><div class='quotemain'>didnt think of that. My windows are acting real retarded lately too! Plus I noticed that even with the stereo power off...my cd player still runs! This could also be an issue</div>

could be, you would have to examine it a lil more.

Experienced TGC Member
    Dude.... It seriously sounds like you didnt hook your shit up right... Because you can cross the memory with the 12v side and the 12 v with memory and the cd player will still work but the shit wont cut off... So go redo alll the wires.. And if possible take a pic of how you have the deck wired and the amp and post it that way we can look and see if you have it hooked up right ;-D... Or your cd player could be fucked up.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Shadow19)</div><div class='quotemain'>Dude.... It seriously sounds like you didnt hook your shit up right... Because you can cross the memory with the 12v side and the 12 v with memory and the cd player will still work but the shit wont cut off... So go redo alll the wires.. And if possible take a pic of how you have the deck wired and the amp and post it that way we can look and see if you have it hooked up right ;-D... Or your cd player could be fucked up.</div>

WERD what he said

I have been thinking for years something wasnt hooked up correctly! I blew out 2 phoenix gold amps. My JL works fine but I am still skeptical. When I have time and money I am gonna have the thing ripped apart and all new custom shit put in...correctly! I'll keep you posted !