The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: All 7g auto trans. please test this!

Showing results 1 to 14 of 14

All 7g auto trans. please test this!

I was wondering if my car has a problem...I dont think so due to the new engine but... I was wondering if you guys could run up to about 90 or 100 and tell me what rpm's your car is running. I think my car may be running to high and I wanted to make sure. At 100mph my car sits at about 4300rpms...is that high or is that the norm!?

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

Re: All 7g auto trans. please test this!

Quote Originally Posted by evil-G-nius (aka Kimya)
    I was wondering if my car has a problem...I dont think so due to the new engine but... I was wondering if you guys could run up to about 90 or 100 and tell me what rpm's your car is running. I think my car may be running to high and I wanted to make sure. At 100mph my car sits at about 4300rpms...is that high or is that the norm!?
    gear ratio is gear ratio is gear ratio.
    aside from small variances in tire size, and wear causeing diameter to change, every 7g automatic is going to have the same rpm /mph in each gear.

or revolutions per mile.

there is nothing that can be wrong with your trans that is going to cause the gearing to change

nothing.

unless your trans was slipping in 4th gear, but if that were the case it would be QUITE obvious.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    i know when i use to get her up to 70, my clock was on 3k rpms

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

Well yeah under normal circumstances ratio is ratio. Bu tI just wanted to make sure everyone was around the same or if my car had an issue thats all

you gotta realize that the torque converter clutch may not be engaging. the converter clutch only engages when the trans is at the correct operating temp.

Also, the tachometers in the 7th gen are notoriously inaccurate, and actually CHANGE accuracy as the temps change! as much as 3-400 RPM.

Quote Originally Posted by manybrews
    you gotta realize that the torque converter clutch may not be engaging. the converter clutch only engages when the trans is at the correct operating temp.

Also, the tachometers in the 7th gen are notoriously inaccurate, and actually CHANGE accuracy as the temps change! as much as 3-400 RPM.
    yeha my tach has never matched the reading on my logger, or the safc when i was running one.
    my tach signal comes from the ignition transistor rather than the typical 7g's distributor, but its the gauge itself thats innacurate.
    but i always used the logger when setting my idle and base timing, cause everything would be too low if i used the tach for setting it.

the best part is i actually did notice the variance with the temperature, the innacuracy grows with rpm as well,
    at 4k rpms on my logger, my tach will read nearly 4500 after i've been on the highway for a 30 miles or so, but right when i get on the highway, its only off by a 100 or so.
    its weird.

i've even caught it dancing before.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Experienced TGC Member
    I have the same issue.. The auto tranny sucks ass... nothing to worry about though i guess its normal.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DOHCstunr)</div><div class='quotemain'>

i've even caught it dancing before. </div>

mine moves around all the time. when its cold it freezes until the car hits operating temp, then slams up to 1000+ at idle. once i get going it calms down. sometimes it doesnt freeze but moves around wildly (mostly in cooler temps). im always at around 4400 rpms at 80 (my cruising speed) though, regardless of outside temp. guess its just dependent on the operating temp of the engine/trans.

<span style="color:#000000">1996 Mitsubishi Galant ES Premium</span>

deathlovespantalones
    Your rpms seem right to me, i've cruised on the interstate at 90-95 a few times with rpms around 4k to 4.3

Ok I wont sweat it then...just seems a little high thats all. But it seems everyone is the same so...

I dunno, for me 100mph nets a lofty 4800 rpm!!!

You need to remember that you CAN change your gear ratios...by changing the final gear ratio, which is to say the size of your tires. Stock tire size is 185/70/14 I'm running Falkin Azenis Sports which are sized at 195/60/14. When you set the two tires side-by-side the 195/60/14 tires are about 1/8" shorter. Not a huge difference, but enough to through off your speedometer, especially as speeds rise. When I get around to it, I have some 205/65/14 tires on Nissan Altima steelies that I'm gonna put on the car (In case you're wondering they don't fit perfectly. The Galant has a 115mm hub and the Altima has a 114mm hub. I'm going to have to take a Dremel to the inside and grind down that offending milimeter)

At my normal highway cruising speed (75) I'm turning over about 4200 rpm.
    Staying busy is important. After all, idle hands spend time at the genitles.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(98ACR)</div><div class='quotemain'>I dunno, for me 100mph nets a lofty 4800 rpm!!!

You need to remember that you CAN change your gear ratios...by changing the final gear ratio, which is to say the size of your tires. Stock tire size is 185/70/14 I'm running Falkin Azenis Sports which are sized at 195/60/14. When you set the two tires side-by-side the 195/60/14 tires are about 1/8" shorter. Not a huge difference, but enough to through off your speedometer, especially as speeds rise. When I get around to it, I have some 205/65/14 tires on Nissan Altima steelies that I'm gonna put on the car (In case you're wondering they don't fit perfectly. The Galant has a 115mm hub and the Altima has a 114mm hub. I'm going to have to take a Dremel to the inside and grind down that offending milimeter) Â*

At my normal highway cruising speed (75) I'm turning over about 4200 rpm.</div>
    Ok that seems high to me. At 100-105 my car sits at like 4300. I have 215/45 W17. I guess they cover more distance which is why I am not reving as high as you. I think most of the other guys that answered also have rims and this could be the reason for the similar rpm speeds. If I were you...I would not grind down that extra mm! Ditch those steelies and get some that will actually fit the car. What you are gonna do just aint safe man!

im hitting about the same numbers as 98ACR and i have the stock Premium package 15" wheels and stock size (195/60 15) tires. the tires are pretty new but i didnt notice any difference between these and my old, completely worn 195/60s...

<span style="color:#000000">1996 Mitsubishi Galant ES Premium</span>

RPM to MPH

I have the premium wheels also (195/60 R15) and I hit about 3150 for 70MPH.

What I find odd now (after replacing AutoTrans) is that hard acceleration causes a momentary increase in RPM that then backs down as she picks up speed, kinda like "diggin in".

*but I'm a happy boy with my motor / trans transplant!! went from a sickly smoker with 230K miles to a clean running 81K experienced pair for the low low price of $1750 installed*