The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: CAI Mishap!

Showing results 1 to 16 of 16

CAI Mishap!

So I have a 96 S with a 5 spd. I have been lurking here for a few months now. I saw a few posts on how to do a cold air intake. Well I decided to use something different for some off reason and used flex pipe Well it lasted for a day before I was going down a highway at about 65 mph, when i heard a loud crashing sound. I looked in my rearview mirror to see my filter tumbling and breaking off on the highway. Apparently I hit a bump and the flex pipe extended quite a bit and was underneath my frame. Pretty much I had to drive 25 miles with no filter. BTW it is my birthday, I turned 21 and now this happened. So now I'm ordering the integra cold air intake kit. Just figured I'd share a hilarious moment.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    lol nice man. Make sure you make a bracket for the Integra piping, dont want it falling off again
    7g for life!

Yea, i definently learned my lesson, I'm gonna make one as soon as it comes. Also, is there any benefit to an upgraded ignition system? but also, is it common for these 4g64's to burn oil? because i definently want the boost but it burns oil

Sounds like a similar hack up I did a while ago. I had nothing better to do one day, so I took some old hose piping I had laying around, and duct taped it up to my intake box thingy. When I accellerated, it made a cool whirling/whistling noise and all, but one day, I poped my hood, and looked to see that it was GONE. The entire pipe was like......gone!!

Makes me wonder how it fell off where the hell it ended up LOL

BMW owner. Galant fanatic.

I know EXACTLY where my piping is. I couldn't miss the thud and a noticable increase in power. Proto that looks alot better than mine. Did you notice alot of difference?

Proto
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jjmoneydawg)</div><div class='quotemain'>I know EXACTLY where my piping is. I couldn't miss the thud and a noticable increase in power. Proto that looks alot better than mine. Did you notice alot of difference?</div>

yep compared to my old shortram with 4" filter

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Happy Birthday and glad you made it home with a no filter! 8) That was one thing I was a bit scared of when I had my CAI on my old 95 Galant. Make a good bracket...it will be worth it.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

I'm gonna try to do that intake setup then Proto, THanks 4-g-rim, i was surprised it ran as well as it did with no filter. Luckily no dirt roads on my way home. I'm definently making a bracket. I can't help but laugh though, seeing that filter tumbling away and the flex pipe way underneath my frame, I didn't even know it was that long.

It would of been well worth it when the filter came off hitting a ricer behind you..oh well. Just hope you enjoyed your Bday! Hope to see good progress with your 7g...we are a dying breed here in TGC :cry:

Proto
    not me

It was a good birthday, i got 300 some bucks to mess around with, so I'm definently putting it into the galant. The breed may be dying, but it will never be forgotten, but will always be reborn.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jjmoneydawg)</div><div class='quotemain'>It was a good birthday, i got 300 some bucks to mess around with, so I'm definently putting it into the galant. The breed may be dying, but it will never be forgotten, but will always be reborn. </div>

8) Nice!!!!!

I see you turbocharged your car, do you have any advice? how hard was the install? price?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proto)</div><div class='quotemain'>not me </div>

x2
    1997 Mitsubishi Galant 4G64 *R*I*P*

soon to come, 97 Copper GST 5spd, Bone Stock, for now...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SuperGALANT)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proto)</div><div class='quotemain'>not me </div>

x2</div>
    x3
    1994 GS DOHC 2.4L 5spd (For Sale)
    1996 S SOHC 2.4L 5spd (Up and Running)