The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: OBD I or OBD II?

Showing results 1 to 17 of 17
    94 5-Speed

OBD I or OBD II?

I have a 94, but it has a 16 pin connector like the OBD II. I tired that little ground test to draw engine codes, do you need to have the engine on to run the test? If not, then it didn't work. Any help please! I'm trying to find out what my car is telling me.

the car should be on but the engine shouldn't be running.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    What is the production date on your G?

My older 94 came with both the 1&2 ODB

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

94 5-Speed
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bronxbombr)</div><div class='quotemain'>What is the production date on your G?

My older 94 came with both the 1&2 ODB</div>July 1993

94 5-Speed
    UPDATE:
    I used the digimoto software (www.digimoto.com) and the ISO 9141 adapter. The power light on the adapter came on (good sign I think) but I couldnt connect to anyhting. I then installed digimoto lite on another laptop I had, but I still couldn't connect to anything. I'm not sure where to go next, but any advice is greatly appreciated.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Not sure if its the same, I have OBDII, but the only way I can get my pocketlogger to connect to the port is if I have the Palm or laptop turned on and the software already loaded on the screen before I turn the car even to the ACC position. Once the pocketlogger software is running I can just turn the key to ACC and I can get the codes, no need to start the car.

I have no experience with the digimoto software/hardware, only the pocketlogging software and cable from www.digitaltuning.com
    7g for life!

All 7g galants are "OBD II" the '94 and '95s were technically OBD I but you can hook up to them just like OBD II. The earlier ones just don't have memory codes like OBD II does. The only other difference I've noticed is that the '96+ cars have a sensor in the middle of the Intake manifold that the earler cars don't.
    Staying busy is important. After all, idle hands spend time at the genitles.

94 5-Speed
    Yeah, my car can get hooked up to the OBD II reader, but the reader can't "talk" to the car. At least the reader I have.

Quote Originally Posted by 94 5-Speed
    Yeah, my car can get hooked up to the OBD II reader, but the reader can't "talk" to the car. At least the reader I have.
    Yes, a "code reader" that you'd buy at an autoparts store will likely NOT connect with an earlier Galant, since the computer is not OBD II. However the data streems are there, just not the codes. There are some of the more high end that will though, they're usually $300+ though. I'm referring to a Snap-On scanner that pretty much every shop I've ever seen has.

Quote Originally Posted by 98ACR
    All 7g galants are "OBD II" the '94 and '95s were technically OBD I but you can hook up to them just like OBD II. The earlier ones just don't have memory codes like OBD II does. The only other difference I've noticed is that the '96+ cars have a sensor in the middle of the Intake manifold that the earler cars don't.
    earlier 7gs dont have a crank sensor either
    1997 Mitsubishi Galant 4G64 *R*I*P*

soon to come, 97 Copper GST 5spd, Bone Stock, for now...

94 5-Speed
    Quote Originally Posted by 98ACR
    Yes, a "code reader" that you'd buy at an autoparts store will likely NOT connect with an earlier Galant, since the computer is not OBD II. However the data streems are there, just not the codes. There are some of the more high end that will though, they're usually $300+ though. I'm referring to a Snap-On scanner that pretty much every shop I've ever seen has.
    I couldn't get a data stream either. I had the plug in and the car idling, but nothing happened.

I couldn't get a data stream either. I had the plug in and the car idling, but nothing happened.
    Get a better reader/scanner. I can pull live data on mine all day long.

Sorry for not been around earlier.

I have an earlier production 95. The 94 and 95 cars are only OBD 1, but the quirk is that you really need to use the Mitsu Scan reader, The reason is that there is another rectangular connector to the left of the obd2 connector and the cables need to be plugged on both connectors, but I have tried a number of systems with no luck. Only by taking it to a dealer I have been able to get the reading. If you get the electical system manual for this car you could one day figure it out. I got tired plus I burnt the computer during these tests, so I ended getting 2 from ebay and quit trying. Still is cheap to go to the dealer than replacing the computer.
    sorry.

I have posted before about this.

94 5-Speed
    I see, alright thanks. Yeah the check enginelight has stopped coming on, but sometimes it idles funny. Oh well.

If its iddilg funny, then the problem is the iddle control. Now, if you take it to the dealer they are probably goinh to tell you that you are looking at around 600, dont go for it.

to change the iddle on this you will need to pull the tb out of the car, so you go to the dealer and ask for the idc. about 200, also dont ask them tell them that you need to be sure that they include the rubber gasket for the icm (control motor) and the metal gasket for the tb and most important there are about 4 or 5 screws under here so get all.

now at home and plenty of patience, make sure you have 1 new can of pb blaster, one can of brake cleanning fluid, one can of (all expletive words in the dictionary) so make sure is a big one.

You will need to be able to hold the tb some how upside dow, I use some pieces of 2 by 4's screw toghether and some old shirts to protect it. so once you do this, you will put some pb on each screw and then using a normal Pliers lock wrench you will start grabing one screw at a time, they are rusted inside so it needs to be done carefully, you also might need a long nose one for one of the bolts, do not use the srew drivers, they wont be able to work and you will strip the head or maybe even pass the srew driver trought you hand. Note, if you have a soldering iron like 25 watt or so, you can use it to heat the bolt and as you heat just apply force with the wrench. You will be able to release them if you do it carefully, also I know it might be hard, but do one at a time this way the pb will work on the others.

Now, once you finish and before installing the new ICM, give the tb a good cleanning with the brake cleanner use 1 or 2 cans. this way you will have a clean tb no oil or shavings and the brake cleanner is not messy and it will really clean it. you could use a brass brush or a nylon one to get to the butterfly, check for play here but its very hard to fix there will be some air leak but still it will work great.

I did this and more , you can check my other postings, I rebuilt my engine 2twice, at 173 and 210 now my son that was not interested in this car, does not allow me near it, he took all the keys away and let me drive the Honda civic (granny car). It due for painting.

Well anything fell free to email.
    One last thing, You did not blew any fuse will checking the codes by grounding pin one.

94 scan coder

I have the 94 Galant LS. I used the Snap-on scanner and while it needed a special mitsubishi cross-over connector, once that was in place, I was able to retrieve codes and view live data.

94 5-Speed
    Yeah, I did blow a fuse, it was the clock and overhead light. I still had the fuse replacement thingy, and there was the right (10 Amp) fuse in there. I just replaced it and I was on my way.