The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: EGR question

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6
    Experienced TGC Member

EGR question

OK first off before someone kills me and tells me to search.. Ive looked but i dont remember seeing the question i have. Ok basically my fuckin EGR Valve is causing my CEL light to stay on all the time.. Ive taken it off and cleaned it 5 billion times, reset the computer let it idle for 20 min and nothing happens till i drive for about 20 miles and it comes back on. My question is that if i make my own blockoff plate with a soda can probably like 2 layers is there a way to keep the CEL light from comming on? And if so how???

phizz2k
    I had this same problem and tried the block off plate. The light stayed off for about a day or two then came back on...

my egr valve still moves back and forth when I rev the engine however dosne't stay closed at idle which gives it a rough idle.

I would try replacing a solenoid on the firewall ( the one with only one tube sticking out at the top)

If you try this let me know how it works.. Or whatever you do to fix it...

Experienced TGC Member
    If someone could send me a pic or something showing me how all my vacuum lines are routed on the solenoids on the firewall.. that might help.

Also, just cleaning the EGR valve itself might not do the trick. If the EGR passage in the intake manifold itself is blocked, you'll still get a code for insufficient flow. You'd be supprised how nasty that little tube gets. Take the valve off and look into the ports (the flow goes from the bottom tube to the top) see if there is more than 1/16 of soot on the walls of the tube. If so spray some carb cleaner in there and clean it out with a small round brush. If that dosen't do the trick, replace the valve.
    Staying busy is important. After all, idle hands spend time at the genitles.

Experienced TGC Member
    Well i just thought about it earlier.. When i take it off there is like condensation built up in the bottom hole for the EGR valve.. I dont know what the hell thats about. Any suggestions????