The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: When do you check the oil?

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9
    FinalLast

When do you check the oil?

I was never really clear about this

What is the correct method of checking your engine oil? (motor oil)

When the car is cold?
    When the car is hot and running?
    When the car is warm ?

And the oil level should be between the two dots right????

Anyway but running. Just make sure the mark is closer toward the top of the hashed area. If you just did an oil change and filter, you should warm up the car, turn it off, and wait a minute before checking oil level. It helps to pull out dipstick and wipe clean and put all the way back in and pulled out again for a reading. As for the frequency, if you think you are burning or leaking oil, as often as needed. Otherwise you don't need to check it too often other than before and after oil changes to get know how your engine is doing.

[size=10]<span style='color:white'>. . . .</span>

Galant_01
    Actually I do beleive that the correct way is similar to what you are talking about TJC. I have always been told to check the oil very soon after you stop the cars engine! This will give you a correct reading. If you check when the engine is cold then the oil has a different density and will not read properly.

The proper way to check your oil after an oil change is to let the engine temp gets to the proper level (about halfway up the temp gauge) then turn the engine off and wait 60 seconds then pull the dipstick out and clean it and then re-insert the dipstick and slowly pull it back out! As long as it is between the 2 dots you will be ok!

Anyway that is what I have always heard.

I have always been told to check the oil when the engine is cold. The example they always gave me was checking to see how deep the water is in a boiling pot. the water is always moving around. and that is similar to the oil I guess.
    C.J. Cameron
    RETIRED TUNER!!!!

"Keeping it Simple"

Tiptronic
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lazarus)</div><div class='quotemain'>I have always been told to check the oil when the engine is cold. The example they always gave me was checking to see how deep the water is in a boiling pot. Â*the water is always moving around. and that is similar to the oil I guess.</div>

i was told the same thing. always check it first thing in the morning, when all the oil has settled into the pan

it doesnt matter. just check it not running.
    if the car has been running (especially if its cold), you may wish to wait 30 seconds for the oil that was pumped to the cylinder heads to get back to the crankcase, but thats it.

checking it first thing in the morning is easiest.

GTZ
    I was told to start your engine and let it run til it reaches normal operating temp then shut it off for a couple of minutes, and then check the oil level.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GTZ)</div><div class='quotemain'>I was told to start your engine and let it run til it reaches normal operating temp then shut it off for a couple of minutes, and then check the oil level.</div>
    nah... you CAN do that, but its of no benefit.

actaully i check my oil level like once every week or two weeks. at the same time, i check all thwe other fluids and also the the air pressure in the tires. uhm i usually check my oil when it is cold but like whet every1 is saying it doesn't really matter. just clean off the dipstick to get a more accurate reading.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.