The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: TRE taller 5th gear for 2G transmissions - doesn't fit 7G

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12
    You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar

TRE taller 5th gear for 2G transmissions - doesn't fit 7G

TRE makes a taller 5th gear for the 2g turbo transmission, an 18% and a 25% one. This allows for you to reach much higher speeds and lower your rpms while cruising to save gas. I ordered the 18% taller one, and it's been sitting on my desk for a few months now. I finally ordered more tranny fluid and went to go install it yesterday. Let's just say i was looking forward to this more than an 8 year old looking forward to christmas.

So i drain the tranny fluid, remove the end case, whole 9 yards.

After some cursing and struggling I pull the shifter fork, syncro, and both gears off. I slide the big gear on, and it goes on smoother than a knife through butter. Notice how close it is to the oil guide. If i had gotten the 25% taller gear no doubt it would have come into contact.

So I go to slide on the smaller (drive?) gear and it won't fit on the spindle. Funny, the inner diameter was identical to the one I pulled off. After an hour of trying...

I was pissed. i still am pissed. I spent a good 30 minutes comparing the two, here's a pic to show how identical they are. But for some reason, it just doesn't want to slide on. So i bolted everything back up with the oem gears and called it a day.

So all i got out of it was a tranny fluid change and a lot of shouting. I knew I was taking a risk of it not working, but this is the first part off a 2g that should fit our cars but doesn't.

Any guys running a 2g turbo trans want to buy it?
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

man that sucks ass.. sounds like a good idea, but wont a 2g trainy bolt up? so if u really wanted that gear you could always get a gst trainy and put it in

btw whats the defferences between our 7g 5spds and the 2g gst trainys? like defferences gear ratio wise.. ie which has better low and better top end..

i know that the 2g n/t has more low end then our cars b/c my buddy's 98 gs beats me if we roll from any thing over 45 but anything under 45 or from the line, i smoke him..

sorry to thread jack.. just been pondering some opptions for later on..

btw peano, where did ur turbo go?
    1997 Mitsubishi Galant 4G64 *R*I*P*

soon to come, 97 Copper GST 5spd, Bone Stock, for now...

i think the gst/gsx trannies have better top end. there's a lot of bickering on tuners about which one has a higher top speed, i think the GSX has the most people backing it up for higher top end. took the turbo out because i got pulled over and chp sent me to state referee for inspection.

1994 Galant GS 5spd

the gear ISNT suppost to "slide on" or "off" for that matter... its a press fit.
    the fact that your first one came off no problem tells me that your shaft is worn... but thats not really a big deal.
    the gear requires a press to install. if it "slips" on, somethings wrong.

Experienced TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'>the gear ISNT suppost to "slide on" or "off" for that matter... its a press fit.
    the fact that your first one came off no problem tells me that your shaft is worn... but thats not really a big deal.
    the gear requires a press to install. Â* if it "slips" on, somethings wrong.</div>

Manybrews to the rescue. Learn something new everyday...
    So how does one go about fitting in a gear? I'm assuming its not as simple as banging it on with a mallet.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'>the gear ISNT suppost to "slide on" or "off" for that matter... its a press fit.
    the gear requires a press to install. Â* if it "slips" on, somethings wrong.</div>

interesting.....very interesting. so if it's a press fit, how are you supposed to get it off for a tranny rebuild? the teeth are very sensitive and chip with ease. both lsd insert install tutorials i read (specifically for the 2g) before i installed my lsd insert say to slid the gears off in the end case to allow you to open the mid case. and on top of that, on all the lsd insert threads i've read people slid their gears off too with no problem.

i'm not suggesting you're wrong at all, but how come the oem gear slides on and off with extreme ease but this one doesn't?

now you got me tempted to take it to a transmission shop and have them deal with it.

1994 Galant GS 5spd

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Mine pulled off. Didnt slide off freely, took a little bit of pull, but it came off and back on without a press. Its not a new tranny by any means so the shaft must be slightly worn.

Is the inner tooth count the same on both gears Matt? ANd with the larger diameter gears, wouldnt you need larger diameter synchros as well?
    7g for life!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'>the gear ISNT suppost to "slide on" or "off" for that matter... its a press fit.
    Mine pulled off. Didnt slide off freely, took a little bit of pull, but it came off and back on without a press. Its not a new tranny by any means so the shaft must be slightly worn.

Is the inner tooth count the same on both gears Matt? ANd with the larger diameter gears, wouldnt you need larger diameter synchros as well?</div>

yes and no. the teeth matched in count and size. the synchro shouldn't matter since the synchro "teeth" on the tre gear and the oem one were the same (it's the inner set that are perfectly parrallel with the spline). also, i test fit the synchro on the the tre gear and it worked fine.

1994 Galant GS 5spd

well i know with a lot of gears they heat the gear then press it on, or slide it on(heat causes the metal to expand)

any communication with TRE?

try baking it in the oven till its 200-300 degrees then slide it on. with some gloves. perhaps that would make the difference?

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

bah i did this on saturday and tried calling TRE when i found out shit wasn't going my way, but they weren't there. i like the oven idea though...

1994 Galant GS 5spd

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peanotation)</div><div class='quotemain'>i like the oven idea though...</div>

you would

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peanotation)</div><div class='quotemain'>
    interesting.....very interesting. so if it's a press fit, how are you supposed to get it off for a tranny rebuild? the teeth are very sensitive and chip with ease. both lsd insert install tutorials i read (specifically for the 2g) Â*before i installed my lsd insert say to slid the gears off in the end case to allow you to open the mid case. and on top of that, on all the lsd insert threads i've read people slid their gears off too with no problem. Â*

i'm not suggesting you're wrong at all, but how come the oem gear slides on and off with extreme ease but this one doesn't?

now you got me tempted to take it to a transmission shop and have them deal with it.</div>

if you look at the top of the small gear, you'll notice it has a "lip" you grab with a small puller.

and as I said, since it slipped off, I have to assume that the splines on the shaft are SLIGHTY worn, as well as the splines on the old gear. The constant vibration and impact on it will do that over time. The large lucknut may not have been tight enough from the factory, as well (happens sometimes) which amplifies this. Not a big deal in and of itself that the shaft is worn, provided the new gear fits tightly AND you tighten the locknut exactly to spec.
    you actually CAN use a small mallet, provided you dont beat the hell outta it. If you need a ton of force, you may damage the input bearing.
    I would personally use a small dead-blow mallet and a large "cylinder" to tap it on. The cylinder allows you to NOT strike the gear directly.