The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Fuel pump does not respond, no power from new relay

Showing results 1 to 19 of 19

Fuel pump does not respond, no power from new relay

I have managed to locate the relays in the center consol by removing the radio, I have heard rumors that there is another relay. anyone have a shop manual or can shed alittle light on where to find it.

Symptoms:
    Fuel pump works fine ( supplied 12v directly to it, spins fine) but when cranking it doesnt respond.

Edit: The vr4 starts now, BUT only with the fuel pump directly connected to the ignition power terminal off the ecu.. everything is now pointing to the new relay I just bought...damn

Re: location of fuel pump relays?

Quote Originally Posted by Mante
    I have managed to locate the relays in the center consol by removing the radio, I have heard rumors that there is another relay. anyone have a shop manual or can shed alittle light on where to find it.

Symptoms:
    Fuel pump works fine ( supplied 12v directly to it, spins fine) but when cranking it doesnt respond.
    dude screw it all.
    just tap the fuel pump drive signal wire off the ecu, and use it to trigger a fuel pump rewire.
    send some beefy power wire to the pump and give it a nice fat ground, and you'll flow more fuel at higher rpms cause it will be able to supply the pump w/o voltage drop.

or did you do that already?
    think it costs about 15-20 bucks with some home depot wire, and a Walmart relay.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Re: location of fuel pump relays?

Quote Originally Posted by DOHCstunr
    dude screw it all.
    just tap the fuel pump drive signal wire off the ecu, and use it to trigger a fuel pump rewire.
    send some beefy power wire to the pump and give it a nice fat ground, and you'll flow more fuel at higher rpms cause it will be able to supply the pump w/o voltage drop.

or did you do that already?
    think it costs about 15-20 bucks with some home depot wire, and a Walmart relay.
    Is there a specific relay I should use? The hardest thing will be finding the pin to tap into, time to research...

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Idk is its the same but on the same line on the harness that the ECU connectors are on, theres also a smaller white connector that connects to a small box near where the ECU should sit. When I unplug that connector my fuel pump will never turn on, not sure if its the fuel pump relay or maybe something with the security?
    7g for life!

you can order fuel pump rewire kits off ebay. just look under eclipse or dsm. you'd probably spend under 20 bucks
    thats where i got mine a year or two ago, when i didn't feel like piecing together a kit.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

you can order fuel pump rewire kits off ebay. just look under eclipse or dsm. you'd probably spend under 20 bucks
    thats where i got mine a year or two ago, when i didn't feel like piecing together a kit.
    I ordered it that day.. still waiting on it this is killing me

new problem... as in the title.. the rewire is done, still nothing from the ecu. going to borrow a meter to see if there is nothing coming from the ecu...

Anything else I can check?

bump... progress is being made.. damn relay

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mante)</div><div class='quotemain'>bump... progress is being made.. damn relay</div>

whats the haps? can't you bypass the relay all together?
    i did

my new rewired relay is the only relay functioning in my fuel system

i just took the wire from my ecu( the one that stimulates the stock relay.
    and wired it to trigger the new fuel pump rewire relay.

no more worries

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

you have a VR4?
    what year?

failing ECU capacitors are a HUGE problem from 89 to 93.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'>you have a VR4?
    what year?

failing ECU capacitors are a HUGE problem from 89 to 93.</div>

Haven't been here in awhile. I thouht Mante still had an 8g VR4??

Proto
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(95mitsu03)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'>you have a VR4?
    what year?

failing ECU capacitors are a HUGE problem from 89 to 93.</div>

Haven't been here in awhile. I thouht Mante still had an 8g VR4??</div>

he has a 96 VR4, RHD.

i did

no more worries
    Thats exactly what I did.. the new relay I got doesnt work lol The guy I got it from is sending me another one..

So just to be able to drive the car I got a toggle switch from the battery to the pump.. Seems like I like the idea of getting int eh car having the to flip a switch then starting the car haha . Makes using the turbo timer impossible

i did

no more worries
    Thats exactly what I did.. the new relay I got doesnt work lol The guy I got it from is sending me another one..

So just to be able to drive the car I got a toggle switch from the battery to the pump.. Seems like I like the idea of getting int eh car having the to flip a switch then starting the car haha . Makes using the turbo timer impossible
    yeah i think i'm going to wire in a inline switch as an extra precaution
    don't want anyone trying to make a getaway in my ride

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DOHCstunr)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mante)</div><div class='quotemain'>bump... progress is being made.. damn relay</div>

i did

no more worries</div>

what relay did you use?

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    B, I used a 30 amp automotive relay from Radio Shack, it was like $8. Make sure you wired it up correctly, and make sure there are no uneeded wiring BS or other relays in between. This is essentially how it should look.

Battery------>30amp fuse------> Relay------>pump<---------ground
    l
    l
    l
    l
    12 Volt + from ECU

for the 12+ it can be the turn on lead from your ECU, or you can tap into any 12+ source thats constant with the key in the ON position. I wired mine up using 16 gauge wire. its important to use a fuse, because the last thing you want is to blow that relay under boost and shut off your pump, you will have massive detonation.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    shit, that diagram didnt work right, the 12+ should be to the relay
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stewi)</div><div class='quotemain'>B, I used a 30 amp automotive relay from Radio Shack,</div>

if you can get a part # sweeet.

the relay that came with my kit is to heavy duty to be charged by the small <5v output of the ecu. Im going to Radio Shack tomorrow, Im sure the one in tyson's doesnt have anything close but Im going to check...

Radio shacks only automotive relay click here This the one? This one is rated lower then the one I have so its on my list todo tomorrow.. By using this my fuel level send signal should be recieved by the ecu haha

Edit...

Done