The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: tranny slip ...?

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10

tranny slip ...?

shit... over the last few days my tranny has not been cooperative. ive searched the forums, and i know that some 8Gs have a problem with them.

car is an 01 gtz, automatic.

the problem is when im accelerating. not flooring it, just stuck in highway traffic or from a stoplight. when my car reaches a certain rpm, ~2-3K both around 20 mph and 35 mph, and it shifts, there is a huge jerk.

im an honest guy, and ill admit i dont know that much about transmissions. but from the few things i know, and by what i can feel, it kind of feels like the gear isnt catching, like its slipping. feels like the clutch plate on a manual isnt grabbing the gear.

i dont know shit about how an automatic works, so i dont know what it could be.

no, i havent flushed the fluid yet, but at the cost of that, i wont wait until this weekend to do it.

so, basically, from what everyone on this forum has experienced, read, seen... what do you think it may be?

please no replies like "do a 5 speed swap!" cause if the tranny is shot, fuck you im gonna do it! just not now cause aint got the cash :thumbsup:

If you post stupid and incorrect information, you will get red nuggets.

I had the same issue, got it flushed, and never heard it ever since

i shoot for the tranny fluid first. check its level, check its condition and defintiely change the fluid.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

damn thanks for the quick replies. ill set up an appointment tomorrow.

but can anyone let me know if an automatic even has a clutch plate? i dont even know wtf im talking about. those high schoolers at napa got me beat

shit, im lame :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

i'll let you know happens.

Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    damn thanks for the quick replies. ill set up an appointment tomorrow.

but can anyone let me know if an automatic even has a clutch plate? i dont even know wtf im talking about. those high schoolers at napa got me beat

shit, im lame :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

i'll let you know happens.
    I believe automatic trannys use a torque converter
    could read up here http://auto.howstuffworks.com/automatic-tr...ransmission.htm hehe

Mine was doing something similar, but it threw the Check Engine Light on. Turned out being a relay in the transmission. Got it replaced for like $80 and worked like new!!!

Lo§'s 99 GTZ

I realize that this may be a little old but instead of posting I thought Id ask if Polishmafia had the tranny flushed and did it fix your problem. My tranny keeps on slipping between 2nd and 3rd and Im hoping that your fix may be mine as well.
    8G 4 life!

Mods: CAI,Grounding wires, CCorners, Shaved, 3G STB. AGX/Teins, Addco bar, OZ F1 wheels And well maintained : )

provided you all have clean, fresh, MITSU fluid in your trannies, you may hav e a problem with your overdrive/reverse clutch housing.
    some of them wear prematurely, causing flair shifts or harsh shifts into 3rd gear.

Not good.
    8G 4 life!

Mods: CAI,Grounding wires, CCorners, Shaved, 3G STB. AGX/Teins, Addco bar, OZ F1 wheels And well maintained : )

sls: i did get my tranny flushed, and it really helped with the shifting. i cant say it totally got rid of the problem, but id say it helped with 90% of it.

the main thing that still happens is when im on the freeway, going from 60-70 or 75 when i punch it. i get some nasty flair shifts (thx manybrews for the name for it) up around 6K rpm.

all in all, it helped... but the fact that i drive my car like a hundred thousand dollar sports car doesnt help