The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Umm...Plastic Pulley? 1995 Galant, WTF

Showing results 1 to 17 of 17
    Dracas

Umm...Plastic Pulley? 1995 Galant, WTF

Does anyone else have a Primary Serpentine crank pulley made of plastic sandwiched between a metal hub and a metal rim?

NO RLY.

Last night my shit broke down, I go to tear the galant apart this morning, and the primary serpentine pulley is completely shattered, with little bits of what looks like plastic or rubber being the ONLY thing that was holding the outside metal hub of the pulley to the inside metal hub of the pulley.

My car is completely crapped out I don't know what to do about this, I do know the ONLY people who could have replaced the pulley, but ugh :x

Are they like this on all galants??? WTF Plastic? ugh

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    pretty sure mine was metal....last time i checked lol
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Dracas
    Goddamnit.

This is a stupid question but does anyone else have a spare primary pulley laying around?

It's the one farthest on the bottom of the engine on the right side

I'm serious, I already called my mum, she refused to help out and I have like $70 to get by for the next two weeks.

Ugh who am I kidding. Nevermind. Anyone in Colorado want a parts car for cheap?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dracas)</div><div class='quotemain'>Goddamnit.

This is a stupid question but does anyone else have a spare primary pulley laying around?

It's the one farthest on the bottom of the engine on the right side

I'm serious, I already called my mum, she refused to help out and I have like $70 to get by for the next two weeks.

Ugh who am I kidding. Â*Nevermind. Â*Anyone in Colorado want a parts car for cheap?</div>

i might have one, pretty sure i do in fact, it's probably in the box of all the parts i stripped off the GS motor that i WAS building. can you wait till tonight? i won't be home till later....

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Dracas
    Dude if you're serious, I wouldn't rush you anyhow.

How much you want for it?

Edit: (Scratch that, I don't, but I can try to get some cash to you when I get a chance)

i have an oem crank pulley if peano doesnt have his...
    uhhhh...... Whats a 9g???

Dracas
    Quote Originally Posted by krazienluv10
    i have an oem crank pulley if peano doesnt have his...
    Thanks, I really do appreciate it.

Once I get the 'plastic sandwich' pulley out I'll have to see if I can get pics of it.

Just to be on the safe side, the people who (almost assuredly) installed it is a company called Vans Automotive in San Diego, down by Gillespie Field in Santee.

all mitsu crank pulleys are two piece pulleys. between the inner and outer part of the pulley there is a thin rubber strip that is used to dampen the pulley from belt deflection and to counter harmonic vibrations of the crankshaft.

they fail,
    it happens more than you would think. its no big deal, just get a new or a used one and replace it. you'll be good.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

if i can find it, i'll ship it to you for free. i know what it's like to be poor as shit (temporarily) and it sucks some big fat dick.

just to clarify (i'm going to look through my garage now) you want the pulley that bolts to the crank, correct? and you want the INNER one? there's two of them that bolt to the crank, the inner and outer, with the outer one being the bigger of the two. you want the inner/smaller one, YA?

edit: my bad, i guess i forgot that the two serpentine pulleys on the crank are one piece. this is all i could find:

das good?

any comments about my palm-tree bed sheets and you're not getting shit

1994 Galant GS 5spd

It's referred to as a "harmonic dampener" and a good 99% of all factory crank pullys are made in this way. It helps absorb crank shaft vibrations and therefore reduce NVH. On some cars (the old Chevy big blocks notably) they are actually necessary for operation, but on small engines like the Galant they're not necessary, but still probably a good idea.

And as previously mentioned, they do fail with age...I've replaced 6 of them. It's no big deal, just part of the cost of owning and operating an older car.
    Staying busy is important. After all, idle hands spend time at the genitles.

Dracas
    oookay, so I'm freaking out for all the wrong reasons I didn't know the crank had that in it, and the one on mine, well, crumbled.

So a replacement should work, yeah - and Peano, haha - it's all good man, I won't say a thing. lol That does look like the part though so I *seriously* appreciate the input, information, parts etc. that you guys are putting down here.

Any special news on how the hell to get it off? Looks like four bolts and a main, I got the plastic deflection panel off, so I can get at it from the side

Again, you guys have no idea how helpful this is

raise the car put it on jack stands... use the jack to lift the car fron underneath the oilpan about half an inch... lower the engine by unscrewing the nuts in the engine bay drivers side ... should be 3 big nuts... give or take... after you remove the nuts(you dont actually need to take it off... just unscrew it enough soo u can lower the engine an inch down) and secure it ... now ur able to remove the crank pulley... just remove the 4 bolts... but that will be a lill tricky too..u need to jam the pulley from rotating as u unscrew the 4 bolts.... i used a really big adj wrech and jammed it against the frame...

btw... im glad peano has the pulley... im not able to give it to u after all... i ve just realized i need it to help pass my f***ing visual for smog at the mitsu dealer...fuckin smog cheks :evil:
    uhhhh...... Whats a 9g???

so is this the one you need for sure dracas? if you want it, PM me your address and i'll ship it out to you by friday at the latest

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Dracas
    Quote Originally Posted by peanotation
    so is this the one you need for sure dracas? if you want it, PM me your address and i'll ship it out to you by friday at the latest
    You got PM Man! :thumbsup:

Dracas
    Quote Originally Posted by krazienluv10
    raise the car put it on jack stands... use the jack to lift the car fron underneath the oilpan about half an inch... lower the engine by unscrewing the nuts in the engine bay drivers side ... should be 3 big nuts... give or take... after you remove the nuts(you dont actually need to take it off... just unscrew it enough soo u can lower the engine an inch down) and secure it ... now ur able to remove the crank pulley... just remove the 4 bolts... but that will be a lill tricky too..u need to jam the pulley from rotating as u unscrew the 4 bolts.... i used a really big adj wrech and jammed it against the frame...

btw... im glad peano has the pulley... im not able to give it to u after all... i ve just realized i need it to help pass my f***ing visual for smog at the mitsu dealer...fuckin smog cheks :evil:
    No sweat man; and thanks for the instructions, I know I could (at least) get the broken pulley out just by removing that inside panel but I realize now it does look like I'll have to drop it down.

So that's all very helpful haha. I'll have to talk to some local buddies and see if they have a garage to do this in.

Thanks again!

Dracas
    Okay...

So I pulled the wheel off, and the wheelgard, got the four bolts off the pulley, the GS Pulley looks like it'll fit sweet (Thanks Peano!) but I'm having trouble both figuring out how to drop the engine down, and also how to even get the pulley OFF, with the bolts gone, I thought it'd just pop off, but its pretty damn stuck in place.

Did I miss something?

whack the center of it with a hammer, lightly.
    you shouldnt need to drop the engine, but if you do, remove the motor mount right above it.
    you may need to remove the large crankshaft bolt in order to get it off all the way. make SURE it is tightened EXACTLY to spec before driving, lest it fall off and toss your timing belt.