The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: confused help please!!(UPDATED)

Showing results 1 to 15 of 15

confused help please!!(UPDATED)

I drove my car to work last night in the rain! I ran over a huge puddle of water doing 35mph. The car cut off and now it wont start back up! I took the intake of and checked it for water(just condensation)then checked my plugs,fuses and oil dip stick, everything was cool.When i turn the key the starter clicks hard like it want to turn the motor and my voltage is normal.Also i put a 1/2 drive into the crank pulley and tried to turn the motor but couldnt do it(dont know if i was just too tired to turn it from work or what)What else can i check for when i go pick my car up in a few,or what can be wrong? I know my intake sucked up some water its just not showing signs of it on the dip stick or plugs!!

Experienced TGC Member
    Damn dude... Im sorry to tell you this.. but if you couldnt turn the motor with a 1/2 inch drive... Its fucked. It doesnt take much force to turn it... Anyways.. Maybe you can be ghetto with it BUT GET A 2ND OPINION ON THIS IM NOT LIABLE FOR ANYTHING IS THAT CLEAR?? Ok put a t spoon of oil in each cylinder via spark plug holes... let it set for a few min then take your ratchet and if u dont have much leverage put a pipe at the end of it and turn the motor clockwise and just turn the motor by hand for like 6-7 revolutions. That should break the motor free now as if it will work after that... I dont know i did it to my Moped before and it worked but thats a smaller motor. Good luck man. BUT DEFINATELY GET A 2ND OPINION BECAUSE IM NOT A MECHANIC. So thats my .02

Experienced TGC Member
    Oh one more thing. Keep the plugs out when you turn the motor that way it isnt so hard to turn.

you ingested water into the engine, causing it to hydrolock.
    it is almost 99 percent certainly ruined, as you will probably have bent rods, if not much more damage.

Experienced TGC Member njjfudge's Avatar
    Sorry to hear about your car, you still going out of town? I'll call you tomorrow when I get off work.

2001 w/Old Style VR-4 front conversion

I'll second the hydrolock. What you'll have to do is try to clear the water from the combustion chambers. So here's what to do, take out the spark plugs. Then remove the fuse for the fuel pump. Crank the car a couple times. You should see water shooting out of the spark plug holes. Do this a couple times. If the motor won't spin then your pretty much screwed since a lot of very expensive stuff is broken. If it does spin, then once no more water comes out put the plugs and fuse back in. Try starting the car if it runs then take it and have the motor checked. Good luck.

Edit. make sure when you're cranking the engine only crank it for 2 or 3 seconds at a time.
    MECP First Class Certi-fried installer.

For the right price, nothing is impossible.

UPDATE: I drained the oil(had water in it,500miles on the oil). I also tried turning the crack with me torque wrench,still wont turn. I know that the engine will probaly break free,i know i didnt bend a rod cause i didnt hear any knocking. The car did a i low backfire then it died.I will try to mess with it in a litttle bit but it sounds like i will be doing the 2.3 stroker sooner than i thought(no big deal i got most of the parts already,i just need time off work now)
    Hey fudge i will probaly still go out of town to the meet! My wife is supose to get a 03 Es on Monday so if i dont have to work next weekend its on!

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Like what Manybrews said..sounds like hydrolock. I would suggest shopping for a salvaged 4G64 in decent condition. It would be much cheaper than repairing a hydrolocked motor.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(4-G-rim)</div><div class='quotemain'>Like what Manybrews said..sounds like hydrolock. I would suggest shopping for a salvaged 4G64 in decent condition. It would be much cheaper than repairing a hydrolocked motor.</div>

Honestly i just swapped the motor out in Jan with another stocker(bought car with blown motor)I dont have alot of time to do a swap so i figure if im going to do it i might as well do the 2.3 anyways...It would be alot stronger than a stock motor and i would be able to run my b16g that ive had sitting up for 2.5 years!!

was your transmission in park when you tried to turn the crank with your 1/2"?
    if it was i imagine it to be QUITE difficult to crank that way.

2.3 is a step down from a 2.4 IMO

your 4g64 already has a bulletproof crank and the EXACT same rods as a 2g turbo eclipse.
    just get some low compression forged pistons, arp rod bolts, and arp head studs....
    and you will be ready for war.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DOHCstunr)</div><div class='quotemain'>was your transmission in park when you tried to turn the crank with your 1/2"?

your 4g64 already has a bulletproof crank and the EXACT same rods as a 2g turbo eclipse. Â*
    just get some low compression forged pistons, arp rod bolts, and arp head studs....
    and you will be ready for war.</div>
    Sorry i ment 2.3 dohc stroker! I also thought bought building my sohc motor,if i can get this 04 Harly Davidson truck ive been looking at then i will just do the sohc build up!Matter a fact i forgot who makes turbo forged pistons for the sohc motors.....who does?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DOHCstunr)</div><div class='quotemain'>was your transmission in park when you tried to turn the crank with your 1/2"?

your 4g64 already has a bulletproof crank and the EXACT same rods as a 2g turbo eclipse. Â*
    having an automatic trans in "park" will not affect the engine at all.... the engine is still free to turn. the OUTPUT of the trans is the part that locked.
    of course, if we're talking a manual trans and him having it in gear, thats a different story.

Experienced TGC Member

so your saying all we need is pistons for a nice buildup. If so what pistons do you guys recommend? Also about how much hp can that setup handle?
    ASE Certified Master Automotive Tech
    2000 Galant ES = Daily Driver
    1996 Galant Turbo + 5 speed & lsd = fun ****SOLD****
    1992 Galant VR-4 #372/1000 Kensington Grey ***SOLD***

I put another in my car on Saturday! The old motor had 1 gallon of water in the intake mani and the bottom end had a little over 2 gallons in it. But never the less in back on the road now!

Wow man, I just read this! Sorry to hear that, hope everything works out!